Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A Birmingham and Black Country thread for all things Brummie and Yam-Yam

According to the Brum Mail a congestion charge is coming in inside the inner ring.

A city centre congestion charge is coming - what we know so far

No doubt there will be loads of compliants about this in the event that it is introduced. People will say its regressive as it will stop poor people but not rich drivers, that the public transport isn't up to scratch, that the cycle lane provision is crap and that it merely pushes the problem elsewhere. All of this is true. But, I still welcome it.

The city centre is literally killing us with fumes. It's unpleasant, congested and clogged.

I'd actually go further - there is no need for any car to be in the inner ring road. Buses, taxis, cycles and walkers only.

I rarely go inside the middle ringroad, except when I'm coming from the M6 and use the A38 Expressway to get through the centre of town and come out the other end. As that's a major route through the city without actually going into the other roads, I'd like to think they keep the A38 off the charge too. Would still screw me over as I tend to turn right and head out towards wheely's lane to then escape the rest of the A38 traffic, but I guess we'll just wait and see.

Edited: Getting my midlde and inner ringroads confused.

Last edited:
They're not talking about the inner ring road (although it's not a useable "ring" anymore, most of that has gone now), but the middle one. It's a huge area that you aren't going to rid of cars in any time soon.

A few more details on this now, with probably the most important bit being:

after much speculation, drivers whose cars meet the Euro 4 petrol standard – mostly vehicles made since 2006 – and Euro 6 diesel, mostly manufactured since 2015, will NOT have to pay.

Clean air zone charge revealed and it's not all bad for drivers

Guess I'll be trading in my 7 year old Diesel soon, which I planned to do anyway as my driving habits have changed but this will probably force me into doing it a bit sooner than I wanted too. Slightly annoying that a 7 year old Diesel doesn't meet the grade but I guess that's how the cookie crumbles.

whoever said the Black Country can't be beautiful

41071438110_74a12a3ca1_c.jpg

Anyone know anything about ‘The Mill’ in Digbeth? It’s a ‘new’ venue putting gigs on. I’m presuming it’s part of the old Rainbow. Is it? Which venue?? Any good?? Mogwai playing there in November!

Anyone know anything about ‘The Mill’ in Digbeth? It’s a ‘new’ venue putting gigs on. I’m presuming it’s part of the old Rainbow. Is it? Which venue?? Any good?? Mogwai playing there in November!

I don’t think it’s opened yet.

City to get new bar and live music venue complete with rooftop garden

On side note anyone attending the Birmingham independent festival over the weekend at Aston hall. I’m going on Saturday and will have to starve myself I think at the prospect of all the food on offer!

Looks like Network Rail are following suite in Brum as they have in London, with a number of business' operating under railway arches put into uncertainty.

The Official Brum Fest 2018 | Birmingham Festival 2018

They're making a point of calling it Alcohol Free because initially there was a Bar lined up that was taken out after objections.

Not sure if (like the Lambeth Show) you will be able to take booze into the park but otherwise it looks a good weekend especially if we get the nice weather back.

Dawn Penn still going strong :)

I'm going to Brum shopping with x2 11 year old girls in October as a b'day treat. I know Brum but I don't know Brum for a 11 year old female. Help please!

Back
Top Bottom