Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A Birmingham and Black Country thread for all things Brummie and Yam-Yam

Anywho. Anyway from Geography.

The Rainbow Venues have started their 'educate' initiative while they battle the councils and also try to raise money in order to keep landlords happy while they await for appeal dates etc. This is a massive loss to the Birmingham night life scene.

Our Statement – #educatenotrevocate

Hopefully they'll be able to do a 'fabric' and get it overturned.

The Mail are suggesting the appeal to the licensing committee may not go ahead now? I hope this isn't the case.

Anyone else familiar with the Black Country poet, Liz Berry? I'm guessing many of you are already aware of her, but I must admit I just stumbled across her (though I'm originally from Brum) and I thought she is pretty good.

She's performing next Friday at The Slade Rooms as part of Wolverhampton's Literature Festival

Anyone else familiar with the Black Country poet, Liz Berry? I'm guessing many of you are already aware of her, but I must admit I just stumbled across her (though I'm originally from Brum) and I thought she is pretty good.

Can't say I had the but just had a listen and a read up. On a similar vein but more comedy I had yet another listen to Dolly Allen the other night. Reminds me so much of me Gran on my English side.

The Mail are suggesting the appeal to the licensing committee may not go ahead now? I hope this isn't the case.
It appears they are giving up their venues.

Seems like a strange decision but I can only assume they've been advised they won't win, or are seeing the way the wind is blowing in Digbeth. Massive shame though. I've been to some cracking nights at the rainbow. End of an era.

It appears they are giving up their venues.

Seems like a strange decision but I can only assume they've been advised they won't win, or are seeing the way the wind is blowing in Digbeth. Massive shame though. I've been to some cracking nights at the rainbow. End of an era.

They appear to be keeping the pub and the courtyard only. I assume those are the only venues they actually own. Though they were looking for a new licensee for the pub before all this kicked off. What a mess. Well done Birmingham City Council, there will be some new land to sell off soon.

Was probably the idea all along by the council.

Who has the lease on Air (code) now. I was told it was cheaper to keep the doors closed than it was to open it again! Would love to have a look around in there for old times sake.

Expect lots of nice posh flats on the sites soon, full of people wanting to live in an area with lots of vibrant nightlife... oh.

Ive been getting this wrong. I always assumed that they couldn’t market a district as edgy, urban and post industrial if they’d sanitised the area. After all the counter cultural nature of it is what makes it edgy and somewhere knowledge economy types want to live amongst. In fact it turns out that stripping the area of its soul is a prerequisite.

They appear to be keeping the pub and the courtyard only. I assume those are the only venues they actually own. Though they were looking for a new licensee for the pub before all this kicked off. What a mess. Well done Birmingham City Council, there will be some new land to sell off soon.

Wouldn’t be the first time - the council and the police have a long history of raiding, closing, demolishing and generally making the existence of the nighttime economy in the city difficult.

You might be right about the land but we shouldn’t overlook the moralising and censorious morals of the Licensing Committee. One look at them tells you what the city is up against. As ever whatever is achieved is depose the council and not because of it.

You might be right about the land but we shouldn’t overlook the moralising and censorious morals of the Licensing Committee. One look at them tells you what the city is up against. As ever whatever is achieved is depose the council and not because of it.
Yeah, they've been treated appallingly. The irony being that it's the reputation of venues like the rainbow complex that have made the area attractive to investors. But they have to kill those venues off to make money. Scumbags.

Dippy the Diplodocus has arrived at Birmingham Museum and art gallery until 9th September for those looking for something to do, or to occupy the kids.

Dippy on Tour: A Natural History Adventure

We saw it at Dorchester museum in half term - it's brilliant. Part of that is that i went to the NHM about every month as a kid because I was obsessed with dinosaurs, so Dippy was a bit part of my childhood.

An exhibition of the photos was at the Ikon Gallery a couple of years ago, definitely worth seeing.

The story behind how she came to take them and how they were rediscovered is very interesting too.

Bostin place that is :)

The first time I visited was years ago when my grandmother was alive - think she was in her 90's then.
The ladies in the cottages were fascinated as she could remember so many of the household items and kitchen equipment.

I went last about five years ago with my sister and brother in law from Germany, we spend most of the day there.
Was surprised that you now have to wear the helmets and hi viz when you go on the canal boat trip into the Limestone mines :rolleyes: elf and safety I assume.

As you say, always a good place to visit.

Back
Top Bottom