Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A Birmingham and Black Country thread for all things Brummie and Yam-Yam

FB_IMG_1664242509837.jpg

I used to like this statue, there was an exhibition of the sculptors work, Raymond Mason, on at the Art Gallery at the time. You could walk into the middle of this one and get the feel of marching Forward as it was called. Or you just eat your chips in there, or set fire to it.
(Pic from fb)

Yes I quite liked that one too, although it wasn't that popular with some of the older Brummies :D
I liked it much better than the Gillian Wearing family statue that's outside the library now.

No...I think he's the guy with his back towards us, doing something suspicious on the ledge in front of the statues :hmm:

anyone been into the city centre today? the ICC is barricaded up because of tory conference. did make me chuckle as there was a group of primary school kids sat in centery Square drawing stuff whilst the protests against the tories were going on. a teacher with a sense of humour. Hehe

anyone been into the city centre today? the ICC is barricaded up because of tory conference. did make me chuckle as there was a group of primary school kids sat in centery Square drawing stuff whilst the protests against the tories were going on. a teacher with a sense of humour. Hehe

Yes, it’s a nightmare. On the plus side the bastards have had such a hostile reception they might not come back here again:

Ministers clash with police over conference protests

Venue of Ozzy Osbourne's first gig to be restored after lying derelict

A bit of good news as far as live music in Brum goes. I've been in there many a time but never to a live gig. Early punk gigs were mainly in Barbarellas or Rebecca's. The Crown sort of became the place to be with the later punks, the GBH & Exploited bunch and had a bad rep for trouble.
I do remember going in there when the Super Prix was on and I think the all day opening hours had just come into force, it was very lively.

Venue of Ozzy Osbourne's first gig to be restored after lying derelict

A bit of good news as far as live music in Brum goes. I've been in there many a time but never to a live gig. Early punk gigs were mainly in Barbarellas or Rebecca's. The Crown sort of became the place to be with the later punks, the GBH & Exploited bunch and had a bad rep for trouble.
I do remember going in there when the Super Prix was on and I think the all day opening hours had just come into force, it was very lively.
Great news!
I know the Birmingham Music Archive guy was pushing for something to be done about it, I used to go there to Henry's Blues House back in the day :)

He was my line manager at work. I didn’t even know he was the guy behind Brumpic.
I didn’t realise he worked for us until I saw some tweets from colleagues and when I saw his bio I realised he was probably your boss and immediately thought f you. I seen you’ve posted elsewhere about it but didn’t want to interfere with your processing of it.

I hope you’re ok. No doubt work will put something out to pay tribute and it will be a tough time for your team. Thoughts are with you and the rest of your team. Reach out if you need to.

I didn’t realise he worked for us until I saw some tweets from colleagues and when I saw his bio I realised he was probably your boss and immediately thought f you. I seen you’ve posted elsewhere about it but didn’t want to interfere with your processing of it.

I hope you’re ok. No doubt work will put something out to pay tribute and it will be a tough time for your team. Thoughts are with you and the rest of your team. Reach out if you need to.
Thank you.

Was Dave’s funeral today. Was… emotional. Then had to come straight into work to manage a large public lecture based on the theme of happiness.

I think he’d have found that funny :facepalm:

Well done though. Must have been a tough day to get through but yeah, I bet the irony afforded a wry smile.

Any recs for somewhere nice to eat lunch in the city centre on Saturday? I've booked Isaac's but some of the recent reviews aren't great. Tempted by Bonehead but its walk in only.

Any recs for somewhere nice to eat lunch in the city centre on Saturday? I've booked Isaac's but some of the recent reviews aren't great. Tempted by Bonehead but its walk in only.
Bit of an open ended question - anything particular you want cuisine/price wise?

Bit of an open ended question - anything particular you want cuisine/price wise?
Mid range, independent, bookable tables and not too far of a walk from the electric.

Cuisine wise fairy open apart from not into curry for lunch. Another idea was Franco manca but that looks like turn up only.

Perhaps I should chance it but my friend is travelling in so I want to reduce the stress. Will keep Isaacs booked for time being. Have you been beesonthewhatnow ?

Back
Top Bottom