Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

90s house

So many tunes from Strictly over the years, my personal fave...
Most important house label of the 90s? Still putting out amazing tunes today

For fun heres a top Strictly Rhythm tune from every year of the decade

(since we've already had Luv Dancin and Logic's Warning/Final Frontier)
E-Culture - Tribal Confusion (Inhalation Mix)

(surprised this one doest have the status of something like Plastic Dreams)
Photon Inc - Generate Power (Wild Pitch Mix)

(deep)
William Rosario - The Mood Vibe

(USG sound comes through)
Scram - Jump and Sing (Hard Metro Mix)

(Masters at Work anthem)
River Ocean-Love & Happiness (Yemeya Y Ochun)

(USG coming hard)
Roger S - Let Yo' Body Jerk (Strictly 4 The Underground Mix)

(still gets played so much to this day)
George Morel - Let's groove

(Bside track 2 favourite - great chord progression)
MAW, Black Magic- Let It Go (Instrumental Trumpet Mix)

(recent discovery for me)
E Breed - Up Yours (Mucho Soul Main Mix)

(late 90s funky filtered disco power)
Edzy - Do It Till You Burn (Funk Lab Remix)

Last edited:
Tech-house gets a bad reputation these days. Deservedly so, as from 2000 to 2020 it spent two long boring decades sticking rigidly to a formula of big white noise drops and painfully loopy beats that seem to go on forever with hardly any changes, while at the same time becoming inexplicably popular around the world.

But it didn't start out like that. In the second half of the 90s it could be inventive and playful and exciting, DJs playing a variety of records from across house & techno that fitted their sound as well as tracks from within the scene, the parties full of sweaty, up for it people grooving their arses off.

Circulation - Red (A Side)

Get Fucked ‎– Last Night A DJ F--Ked Your Wife

There's been a bit of a tech-house revival the last couple of years, with producers looking back to various sounds from the 90s, which has started coming out with records worth hearing for the first time this millennium.

Tech-house gets a bad reputation these days. Deservedly so, as from 2000 to 2020 it spent two long boring decades sticking rigidly to a formula of big white noise drops and painfully loopy beats that seem to go on forever with hardly any changes, while at the same time becoming inexplicably popular around the world.

But it didn't start out like that. In the second half of the 90s it could be inventive and playful and exciting, DJs playing a variety of records from across house & techno that fitted their sound as well as tracks from within the scene, the parties full of sweaty, up for it people grooving their arses off.

There's been a bit of a tech-house revival the last couple of years, with producers looking back to various sounds from the 90s, which has started coming out with records worth hearing for the first time this millennium.

this minihistory was a great watch

really like those two tunes you picked out - tbh i can hear no relation to them and plod-core tech-house, which is not to say there isnt one, more to say the children grew up a bit sullen.

I was just looking to get some conversation going really ;)
completely agree with the above and for sure theres a lot of 90s house i really love (particularly the more soulful and bumpy US side of things) , lots of classic classic records, but rather then knock the 90s sound I was more trying to be positive about the present - I think the last decade - last five/six years in particular - is really really strong - better produced, more powerful, personally just as many classic tracks

... so even though the 90s undeniably produced so many amazing records, within house music history its almost a shocking realisation (to me at least) that as a decade it is still somehow somewhat gently overshadowed by what came before and after

*also from your list Spandex theres the creation of the US garage sound 93-95..... incredibly fertile time

one thing that sort of inspired me to do the thread was all the good house music around in the last few years, a lot of which is cited as referencing 90s house sounds - Bicep being a commercial example. so I was looking for that sort of sound; piano, bass, 909 drums. but this thread has also reminded me of a lot of the 'funkier' house which I never really liked, nor the handbagy/vocal house. although I do like the US garagey stuff.

One of my best memories of the 90s was hanging out at a pirate studio one day, spangled on a sofa with Jamie Anderson on the 1s and 2s doing his tech-house show, and E********* politely offering me a pipe of stone like it was a porcelain cup of tea. "Err no thanks Dennis, I'm good thanks, all cracked out <pats tummy> couldn't touch another rock, phew, crikey, lovely tunes he's playing though, what-what?" 🤣

when it comes to dance music, ie house, techno etc, the 90s was the best era for productions (imo) I think it has a lot to do with the equipment used to produce the tracks. A lot more hardware rather than software.

the overall sound is just so much richer, using a lot more real instruments (even if sampled) rather than these awful digital noises that make up most of the tracks being put out these days.

but those analogue keys/synths in those classic tracks really do make my guts go.

How about this for an unpopular opinion: 90 s is the weakest decade for house music: 80s and post 2000s beats it. Actually 90sbeats 00s but not post 2010s or 80s. Last few years a new golden age imo. Shock horror.

This has blown my mind a bit, been taking it in since I read it (about the 90's that is).

Completely agree with your points, and your statement about era's fits for the general, but I would add that each individual has their personal view that includes automatic addendum that 'the era one started clubbing (I used to say learn to drive has an overriding veto as the greatest.

(Therefore, in my World, 2000's will not be beaten. But I recognise there are less fortunate souls that aren't my age)

Going back to the 90's statement...On the surface it sounds crazy, right? We can all pick a decent top 100 (ok, 50) that are up there with the best of them (e.g, the most perfect house music record ever was made in 1992)...But SO much dross, and I'm feeling very unshackled now we can stop fetishizing Murk records (solid 7/10's though they are).

I have not nearly the same 'time-machine-regret' as not being able to go back to the music of the 90's scene (even if the raves as a do sound ace ofc)...But 80's, 00's I would give my left bollock.to be on Bora Bora beach in 2001 (and, more importantly a 21 year old me), or 80's when disco and house were going to-to-toe and it was all genuinely new.

I stopped DJing (collecting music) in about 2010. Really after funky house died in 03-05, I tolerated the chunkier sound for the rest of the decade, before discovering Innvervisions in about 07 which lasted a few years and keot me going. So I know little of 2010's and haven't missed it.... until now I've got back into it and bought USB decks etc.

But DJ's are so much more talented now IMO. Much more of a science, and not the part-time job you could get away (and still get on flyers).

I must admit, something that has driven my current renaissance has been (good) tech house - and I'm talking the grooving Ibiza interpretation of it. Don't get me wrong, I can hear some sets that are torture and don't go anywhere, and seem to be exercises in fawning over the "celebrity" in the booth....But a decent Skream or Joris Voorn, Luciano in around 08...It's amazing. Actually reminds me of funky house: similar core drum patterns but lots of scope for energy changes, with just a pallette of weird shit (instruments/vox) to dress it up

This has blown my mind a bit, been taking it in since I read it (about the 90's that is).

Completely agree with your points, and your statement about era's fits for the general, but I would add that each individual has their personal view that includes automatic addendum that 'the era one started clubbing (I used to say learn to drive has an overriding veto as the greatest.

(Therefore, in my World, 2000's will not be beaten. But I recognise there are less fortunate souls that aren't my age)

Going back to the 90's statement...On the surface it sounds crazy, right? We can all pick a decent top 100 (ok, 50) that are up there with the best of them (e.g, the most perfect house music record ever was made in 1992)...But SO much dross, and I'm feeling very unshackled now we can stop fetishizing Murk records (solid 7/10's though they are).

I have not nearly the same 'time-machine-regret' as not being able to go back to the music of the 90's scene (even if the raves as a do sound ace ofc)...But 80's, 00's I would give my left bollock.to be on Bora Bora beach in 2001 (and, more importantly a 21 year old me), or 80's when disco and house were going to-to-toe and it was all genuinely new.

I stopped DJing (collecting music) in about 2010. Really after funky house died in 03-05, I tolerated the chunkier sound for the rest of the decade, before discovering Innvervisions in about 07 which lasted a few years and keot me going. So I know little of 2010's and haven't missed it.... until now I've got back into it and bought USB decks etc.

But DJ's are so much more talented now IMO. Much more of a science, and not the part-time job you could get away (and still get on flyers).

I must admit, something that has driven my current renaissance has been (good) tech house - and I'm talking the grooving Ibiza interpretation of it. Don't get me wrong, I can hear some sets that are torture and don't go anywhere, and seem to be exercises in fawning over the "celebrity" in the booth....But a decent Skream or Joris Voorn, Luciano in around 08...It's amazing. Actually reminds me of funky house: similar core drum patterns but lots of scope for energy changes, with just a pallette of weird shit (instruments/vox) to dress it up
yeah and to add to that you can try and be objective about whats better or worse but divorced from certain clubs/dancefloors its kind of meaningless - the other missing ingredient is what the dancers bring at a particular time
- but MY experience of house in the 90s wasnt good at all - too cokey - and im sure there were many an amazing spot in the world that were as good a party as its possible to have

this was the remix we used to cane of that one - a really great druggy pounder

i can imagine that going down well - a very Big Room 90s vibe - the vocal mix feels like a lost 80s chicago demo - takes a strong groove to just copy and paste its way through the whole tune without getting boring

I liked house back in the '90s but was more into jungle /drum & bass
but there was one place on a Sunday called sw1 club victoria station
it was a club with spiritual vibes the house was heavy and hard ,

A list! They always go well. :D

Nice to see isollee - beau mot plage on there. I played it at a party on the gilli islands Indonesia not long after it was released. Crowd went wild :)

Back
Top Bottom