Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What was this 90s venue near Tottenham Ct Road?

I used to spend an inordinate amount of time in a late night basement flamenco and tapas bar just behind TCR station.
This was when I was doing my degree at Birkbeck, often a few of us would end up in that bar drinking rioja and eating patatas bravas til the wee hours after a lecture.
Went once or twice to an illegal drinking den opposite that, on hanway street

I had so many excellent nights in/around Soho around 89-92 then again 2000-2005. Loads of basement bars/clubs.

I also spent some time in the early 2000s hanging out in a couple of coffee shops in that part of London - sorry, I know that's a bit of a diversion from the music venue thing!

Just it's got me thinking about what I used to do with my time and where I used to spend it.
I used to have an income and I used to go out quite a lot, I have a visual recollection of what the places I went to looked like, can't recall names or locations though!
But there was a coffee/wine bar with a basement seating area and excellent cakes/desserts somewhere that I used to spend a lot of time in and would often be my go to central London "meet here" place.

does "clubbing" really exist much in London anymore? clubbing was slightly different to whats happening now - music events at venues are different from clubs. hard to define the difference....clubs had a sense of community about them, regulars and regularity, within smaller venues and as part of a scene.

does "clubbing" really exist much in London anymore? clubbing was slightly different to whats happening now - music events at venues are different from clubs. hard to define the difference....clubs had a sense of community about them, regulars and regularity, within smaller venues and as part of a scene.
And you could decide spur of the moment if you wanted to attend. Didn’t need to buy tickets.

Went once or twice to an illegal drinking den opposite that, on hanway street
Probably the same one I and many friends used to go to. Was in the basement and everyone affectionately knew it as the murders bar. Didnt seem to have a closing time and on a Friday was always initially full of guys off of the buildings.

I used to spend an inordinate amount of time in a late night basement flamenco and tapas bar just behind TCR station.
This was when I was doing my degree at Birkbeck, often a few of us would end up in that bar drinking rioja and eating patatas bravas til the wee hours after a lecture.
The Spanish Bar then the late night flamenco place. Way too many nights!

Also Metros, Astoria, 100 Club and that late night actors bar place you could often blag your way in on Shaftesbury Avenue

In 2004, I went to the after party for Le Tigre at Ghetto – a small underground gay bar opposite the Astoria, directly opposite Centrepoint. Ring any bells?

View attachment 383783

View attachment 383784
I used to go to a night in the early 90s called Loosen up that I think was in this venue but it was called The Soho Theatre Club then according to this flier.
Had some cracking nights there.
s-l1600 (2).jpg

The Brain, Wardour Street :thumbs:

Costa Dorada?

Used to go there quite a bit back in the late 80s/early 90s.

Costa Dorada?

Used to go there quite a bit back in the late 80s/early 90s.

Not sure what it was called, used to go there a lot though.

It was down some stairs as it was a cellar/basement type place.

Once emerged from there up the stairs in the wee hours and someone had died by the top of the stairs, nothing to do with the venue but it was a bit :eek: - there were already emergency services there, I didn't go "oh look someone died ah well never mind lets get the night bus" and just leave them there or anything like that, there were already all the people that need to be there in attendance. Stuff like that sticks in your mind though.

Not sure what it was called, used to go there a lot though.

It was down some stairs as it was a cellar/basement type place.

Once emerged from there up the stairs in the wee hours and someone had died by the top of the stairs, nothing to do with the venue but it was a bit :eek: - there were already emergency services there, I didn't go "oh look someone died ah well never mind lets get the night bus" and just leave them there or anything like that, there were already all the people that need to be there in attendance. Stuff like that sticks in your mind though.
Was it Bar Rumba? ETA still exists Bar Rumba | Nightclubs in London

Back
Top Bottom