Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What was this 90s venue near Tottenham Ct Road?

I was expecting someone to argue Turnmills wasn’t central given it was in Clerkenwell. In my head it was central but state of my head on those nights.

YES! Must be the one... wasn't sure if it was under YMCA or St Giles Hotel, but that has to be it.
surprising lack of any mention of it online at all doing a quick google
passing mention here

Seven quid. :D

What is it now? Block of luxury flats or something?
tube station/crossrail, but that whole area has been modernised into blandness
i mean cities change, its fine, but astoria, busbys, speed at the milk bar opposite astoria, velvet rooms down the road, that was the heart of so many raving experiences....the end a bit also..plastic people around the corner

tube station, but that whole area has been modernised into blandness
i mean cities change, its fine, but astoria, busbys, speed at the milk bar opposite astoria, velvet rooms down the road, that was the heart of so many raving experiences....the end a bit also..plastic people around the corner
Central London would be the last place I’d consider for a night out nowadays. Yeah I’m getting old so probably wouldn’t anyway but still. What’s there?

how it looks now - all gone

View attachment 383821
And there was the wonderful 12 Bar just around the corner :(

1689782915856.png

I went to Dave Dorrels All Back to Mine at the Milk Bar, at the end of one night he invited us all back to his house, did a whip round for booze. He had a really nice house but two of the punters took a shine to his expensive rug, rolled it up and ran off with it, down the street. 😂

And there was the wonderful 12 Bar just around the corner :(

View attachment 383823

iirc that fireplace was something like 400 years old
eta; had a sign on it claiming 1635

Metro was on Oxford St.

Browns! Yep that was it. But on Oxford St iirc now. Just round the corner from The Astoria, almost opposite the Maccy Ds.

Soho was brilliant in 1996, not yet shite, but no longer quite as seedy as in the 70s and 80s. Still seedy enough though. The Hellfire Club on Oxford Street was the best place on Saturday nights, a place long gone now.

Started in 1990 the Hellfire was a staple on Oxford Street every Saturday night at Oxfords (Later Metros) Tony, Pat, Martin, Dodgy Pete and Steve and many guests entertained whoever showed up, it went through a few changes through the years, later becoming Scream before drifting into the nether handing the reigns to Rockscene in the very late 90s, for a time it was one of the homes of the London alternative scene.

🤷‍♂️

I used to spend an inordinate amount of time in a late night basement flamenco and tapas bar just behind TCR station.
This was when I was doing my degree at Birkbeck, often a few of us would end up in that bar drinking rioja and eating patatas bravas til the wee hours after a lecture.

Such a shame. Would be nice to have some central gig venues. I don't mean to get all Bob Hoskins, but they have gutted the life from what made London London.
I went to all sorts of places in the TCR area in the 90s, but I can't bloody remember where any of them were.
There was a massive indie club near leicester square that was horrible and expensive but the only place to go when the booze ran out.
90s me was a twat.

And every now and then at 6am they'd open the internal stairs down to Busby's for the Breakfast Club on Sunday morning...
yeah i made a couple of those 🫠 i remember nothing!
my mates were at a magic december orange at astoria one where everyone came out at 6 and it was snowing and settling...a car pulled up with speakers and rave carried on dancing in the street outside astoria in the falling snow...guttedly missed that one, turned into folklore

Last edited:
We've also lost Gossips (one of my favourite clubs), the Intrepid Fox and the Crowbar, leaving central London pretty much free of rock'n'roll/alternative venues.
yeah definitely a lack of those now..still a handful around camden and islington but I cant think of many considering how big london is

yeah definitely a lack of those now..still a handful around camden and islington but I cant think of many considering how big london is
I was walking through Soho recently with a younger friend and she must have been getting depressed as I kept pointing out now closed rock venues and bars.

I couldn't think of a single alternative-ish bar anywhere in Soho.

old.png
found this picture on googlemaps where it hasnt been updated - that space above mr toppers £5 headressers is one big hall - quite a grand space really - they had some skanky parties in there, sort of semi squatted...could get up on the roof too. i played there once

how it looks now

new.png

Back
Top Bottom