Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

90s house

Another not-on-YouTube track is the DJD dub of Discocaine's House Da Crowd.

But someone has mixed the tracks from the 2x12" pack it comes from and it starts at about 22:00 here:

I played the fuck out of this in 1996. Such a tune.

How about this for an unpopular opinion: 90 s is the weakest decade for house music: 80s and post 2000s beats it. Actually 90sbeats 00s but not post 2010s or 80s. Last few years a new golden age imo. Shock horror.

Last edited:
How about this for an unpopular opinion: 90 s is the weakest decade for house music: 80s and post 2000s beats it. Actually 90sbeats 00s but not post 2010s or 80s. Last few years a new golden age imo. Shock horror.
That the 80s was the best decade for house is an uncontroversial opinion. A musical phenomenon.

As house moved into the 90s it fractured into a million sub genres, developing at incredible speed in different directions, some of which are so far apart in sound it seems weird the same word is used to describe them - diva-house, happy-house, euro-house, tribal-house, jazzy-house, deep-house, disco-house, tech-house, pop-house... the list goes on and on. Loads of great tunes there, some of those scenes burnt bright for a year or two before collapsing into formulaic drudge.

The 90s were really dominated by the numerous styles of dance music inspired by the 80s house explosion - rave, hardcore, drum'n'bass, techno, trance, breakbeat, etc, etc. House wasn't the dominant style of dance music like it was in the late 80s, just one amongst many.

The 00s seemed to be mostly survivors from the 80s and 90s carrying on doing there thing. Unless you're a huge fan of EDM or electro-house you'd be hard pressed to make the argument for this decade being the best decade for house.

Since then there's been loads of great house music made, building on the foundations, the sounds pioneered in the 80s and 90s. If you're into it you might see it as better than what came before. But it's just one genre amongst the ocean of other genres, so it's hard for any specific tunes to stand out.

It was the eclectic approach to house in the 90s that made it interesting to me musically. As Spandex mentions above the genre made a good canvas for fucking about with, seems to me most of that creativity started to run dry by the end of that decade.

Plus the 90's were still vinyl driven, that may account for some of the magic and mystery that all good musical genres have. Can't say I'm familiar with much dance music made since the mid 00's, tend to stick a bit of techno on now and then, when I'm doing the hoovering, that's about it.

I was just looking to get some conversation going really ;)
completely agree with the above and for sure theres a lot of 90s house i really love (particularly the more soulful and bumpy US side of things) , lots of classic classic records, but rather then knock the 90s sound I was more trying to be positive about the present - I think the last decade - last five/six years in particular - is really really strong - better produced, more powerful, personally just as many classic tracks

... so even though the 90s undeniably produced so many amazing records, within house music history its almost a shocking realisation (to me at least) that as a decade it is still somehow somewhat gently overshadowed by what came before and after

*also from your list Spandex theres the creation of the US garage sound 93-95..... incredibly fertile time

Based on this thread and my record collection, I'd say the 90s was definitely on the weaker side of house music for me. The 80s and the post 2000s being amazing. However I can't speak to the 2010s onwards, that's when I had my babies so consuming house music went on the back burner. But if Ceri's set on Saturday at Phonox was anything to go by and assuming her records were mostly current, although couldn't be sure, then the post 2010s is great too.

As I was blasting these yesterday...

Steve Jackson/Kiss fave back in the day, still sounds so uplifting...

Biggie but still gets me rushing to the dancefloor when it gets played...

Love the energy on this...

Roland Clark first outings, can't have any 90s house list without this...

The track that propelled Vega and Gonzalez into the limelight and their immense contribution to house music since...

Anthem but one of those tunes that reminds me of being with mates driving around London on the way to a night as the sun starts to set on the horizon...

Back
Top Bottom