Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your solution for the deficit

I can think of many good ideas but there's not much point posting them as they are all founded in ideas of rationality, fairness and compassion and will thus be of no interest to anyone in a major political party.

Well, that depends on how one answers the questions in post 27.

"We" might be pension-holders (I'm not, but lots of people are).

See: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8530150.stm

_47356069_gilt_graph_466.gif

Basically, most of the Government deficit is owed to financial institutions, most of them UK institutions. (The govt borrows money by issuing gilts).

Why did it run up the deficit? Well, the deficit we're supposed to be worried about is the one the govt ran up in order to bail out the financial institutions...
Aye, well tell the buggers we want our dosh back

Well, that depends on how one answers the questions in post 27.

"We" might be pension-holders (I'm not, but lots of people are).

See: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8530150.stm

_47356069_gilt_graph_466.gif

Basically, most of the Government deficit is owed to financial institutions, most of them UK institutions. (The govt borrows money by issuing gilts).

Why did it run up the deficit? Well, the deficit we're supposed to be worried about is the one the govt ran up in order to bail out the financial institutions...

What I meant about there being no 'we' was in the sense of MK's question 'What would happen if we didn't (pay off the deficit)?' In that sense there is no we.

You've worked in strategic commisioning, change management, organizational diversity teams and all the rest? Somehow I don't believe you.
Should I be bovvered? anyway dont actually work with them but alongside them, all these little empires were formed during the 'good times' now the personell wasted there can rejoin the ranks of front line social workers,nurses etc

Nobodys talking about axing equality and diversity, just those teams whos only existence is to run extremely boring courses and seminars on a subject which should be second nature to people.

Should I be bovvered? anyway dont actually work with them but alongside them, all these little empires were formed during the 'good times' now the personell wasted there can rejoin the ranks of front line social workers,nurses etc

In an organisation like the NHS, you don't think you need someone to, y'know, organise things? I'm not saying some of these jobs aren't totally vapid, but to think that if only we got rid of middle management everything would be hunky dory is pretty stupid.

Nobodys talking about axing equality and diversity, just those teams whos only existence is to run extremely boring courses and seminars on a subject which should be second nature to people.

Emphasis on the should, then. Just because you work in the public sector doesn't mean you don't get some right cunts who need some lessons in manners working beside you.

'Second nature' means shit. It can be second nature to a racist to use racism.

(FWIW, I dislike the whole industry thats sprung up around equality and diversity, whilst recognising equality and diversity work does have a positive role to play).

I'm not commenting on the deficit specifically, nor economic problems. I just pointed out that these kind of threads always become just another leftie shopping list having no bearing whatsover on reality.

As an easy solution what about creation of full employment by a huge programme of digging holes and then filling them back up?

Well, we're supposed to see this a analogous to family budgeting. So, let's try that: I borrow money from Mrs La Rouge. Is the La Rouge family in debt?
Clearly it is. The only solution is for one or other of you to stop working. At the very least you should refrain from any housework until you've sorted out this mess.

In an organisation like the NHS, you don't think you need someone to, y'know, organise things? I'm not saying some of these jobs aren't totally vapid, but to think that if only we got rid of middle management everything would be hunky dory is pretty stupid.
Emphasis on the should, then. Just because you work in the public sector doesn't mean you don't get some right cunts who need some lessons in manners working beside you.
And you have managers who should deal with them and if they have the wrong attitude no amount of training will rid them of it. We had A system here where, when new legislation came out, a couple of trainers (usually retired social workers) were hired for a month of two until everyone had recieved instruction in the new stuff then they were paid off, same for the mental incapacity act etc, that and internet training worked very well but now we have permanent teams of a middle manager, assistant/deputy manager, two or three teaching assistants and a secretary, this at a time when front line social workers are not being replaced, hardly a reasonable use of resources?

And you have managers who should deal with them and if they have the wrong attitude no amount of training will rid them of it. We had A system here where, when new legislation came out, a couple of trainers (usually retired social workers) were hired for a month of two until everyone had recieved instruction in the new stuff then they were paid off, same for the mental incapacity act etc, that and internet training worked very well but now we have permanent teams of a middle manager, assistant/deputy manager, two or three teaching assistants and a secretary, this at a time when front line social workers are not being replaced, hardly a reasonable use of resources?

I don't particularly disagree with that, but then again that's a far cry from the first post of yours I responded too - "sack alla dem".

I don't particularly disagree with that, but then again that's a far cry from the first post of yours I responded too - "sack alla dem".
Just a bit of asperity, but its a fact, i dont know about other areas but here it seems the front line is being wittered away with those who never leave county hall remaining largely untouched, had to go on a course the other day, the place where it was held has lost both receptionists but the 'training team'was all there

Back
Top Bottom