Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your daily cat and kitten news

Almost 1 am and Akiro wont leave the flat

PXL-20220215-003950246.jpg

The girls are watching him...

Does Akiro have a home, or is he living with you now?

He has a home a few doors away but he has developed an affection for me. sits on my lap and bumps head and falls asleep. Tries to follow me to work. When he spots me cycling, he runs after me. Had a few people ask me if he is my cat. This is complete contrast to when we first met, where he would run away. He is different to his two sibblings, Miko and Draco in that he comes into my flat while the other two wont and is far the friendliest. And I met Miko and Draco way before Akiro.

He has a home a few doors away but he has developed an affection for me. sits on my lap and bumps head and falls asleep. Tries to follow me to work. When he spots me cycling, he runs after me. Had a few people ask me if he is my cat. This is complete contrast to when we first met, where he would run away. He is different to his two sibblings, Miko and Draco in that he comes into my flat while the other two wont and is far the friendliest. And I met Miko and Draco way before Akiro.

Mate, you can't nick him, he's not yours. You know that, I am sure.

I think donkyboy knows that. A bit unfair there and patronising?

Not intended that way.

I am not going to pretend that I think it is ok to encourage other people's cats to enter or stay a while inside your home though.

I have fairly strong feelings about that and express them from time to time.

The comment I made was half in jest though.

My gran made a habit of nicking cats, I loved her but disliked that she'd let them in and start pretending they were hers :D

I don’t have a cat, but still get visited a lot by scrounger Bloom, it takes a bit of creative encouragement (a dreamie trail) to get him out late evenings.
Even though there are soft surfaces available Bloom likes a laminate floor like this yesterday

19F36127-D4A7-463A-A989-EC8FEBF2DC42.jpeg

In other news, yesterday morning when I went out Wendy from two doors down greeted me from her upstairs window lamenting that feral Harry was ‘not well’, he had an abscess lump on his cheek that was bleeding.
Later Wendy and Mick got him to a vet (dunno how) and paid £57 for treatment, and they have to bathe the area for 10 days with salty water…dunno how they will manage that on the skittish guy!

My gran made a habit of nicking cats, I loved her but disliked that she'd let them in and start pretending they were hers :D

Yes my OH's gran does that too. Lures them in with chunks of chicken, then says how weird it is that these cats like coming to her house! She says it's her dead cat communicating with the living ones to come visit her (as she wafts chicken out the door).

Not intended that way.

I am not going to pretend that I think it is ok to encourage other people's cats to enter or stay a while inside your home though.

I have fairly strong feelings about that and express them from time to time.

The comment I made was half in jest though.

Lady next door lets Vic into her house and gives him milk on a regular basis. I only know this because she phoned me one day to see if I could retune her telly and Vic (who is extremely wary of strange environments) ran into her house before me and made himself comfortable on her sofa! I said nothing because she’s a lovely neighbour and, at 92, is a bit too old to have a mog of her own. I think it’s nice that Vic occasionally keeps her company through the day. It means he’s not killing stuff 🙂
I think bringing dogs and cats into care homes is a fantastic idea as so many residents must really miss having a pet.

I love that cats visit other people's houses. And settle in with then and then go home when they want.
I mean how cool a life is that? Wake up . Have breakfast in main home. Go off for wander. Visit neighbours. Have a chat with neighbours and get fed . Lounge around in another neighbours garden. Toddle back home everyone's happy.

I don’t have a cat, but still get visited a lot by scrounger Bloom, it takes a bit of creative encouragement (a dreamie trail) to get him out late evenings.
Even though there are soft surfaces available Bloom likes a laminate floor like this yesterday

View attachment 310101

In other news, yesterday morning when I went out Wendy from two doors down greeted me from her upstairs window lamenting that feral Harry was ‘not well’, he had an abscess lump on his cheek that was bleeding.
Later Wendy and Mick got him to a vet (dunno how) and paid £57 for treatment, and they have to bathe the area for 10 days with salty water…dunno how they will manage that on the skittish guy!
His paws! ❤️ It's funny how he sleeps against a wall too.

With Harry, I'd recommend Pet Remedy. It's very good for calming animals and vets use it. I know some people use Feliway as well.

I love that cats visit other people's houses. And settle in with then and then go home when they want.
I mean how cool a life is that? Wake up . Have breakfast in main home. Go off for wander. Visit neighbours. Have a chat with neighbours and get fed . Lounge around in another neighbours garden. Toddle back home everyone's happy.
Apart from the owner of the cat. Fortunately it doesn't happen with ours, but Milo's got a special diet and needs insulin injections, so I'd be really fucked off if someone else was feeding him (he won't wear a collar with a do not feed tag unfortunately).

He is a pain in the arse though, so it would be quite nice if he stayed overnight at someone else's house rather than waking me up at 3am by jumping on my pillow or taking a dump on the carpet next to me.

Aye, if someone doesn't pay the vet bills for a domestic pet and talk to the vet about its consultations, they shouldn't be giving it food, they don't know if it is on a prescription diet and might be fucking its health in their "kindness"

Aye, if someone doesn't pay the vet bills for a domestic pet and talk to the vet about its consultations, they shouldn't be giving it food, they don't know if it is on a prescription diet and might be fucking its health in their "kindness"

What if they are not fed and just visit other people because they like doing that?

My aunt had 4 cats. One was really outgoing and visited every house on the street every day for a hello, cuddle and wander. She just loved people. She was only fed at home. And mostly slept at home. But her life would have been less fulfilled if she had not had all her buddies.

What if they are not fed and just visit other people because they like doing that?

My aunt had 4 cats. One was really outgoing and visited every house on the street every day for a hello, cuddle and wander. She just loved people. She was only fed at home. And mostly slept at home. But her life would have been less fulfilled if she had not had all her buddies.
Aye, I am talking about those sort of partial adoption scenarios where people start to feed their neighbours pets, then sort of try to claim they now belong to them (like my Gran used to do :hmm: ), I'm not talking about the sort of casual daily walkabout visits that you are referring to.

I am not sure how people aren't feeding those visiting cats though if they leave food down for their own cats. Something to consider perhaps, if it applies. :)

I think my Jakey is starting to put on a bit of weight again, he was in a depression and didn't do anything much for a month other than sleep on me or sleep on my jimjams when I wasn't around, but he does seem to be perking up a bit and eating better too.

Yesterday I got him to play (briefly, but better than nothing) with the cardboard tube from a loo roll and a cardboard box (no expense spared) so I hope he is starting to feel a bit better and more settled in single cat life now..

Me and an ex-bf had two cats from kittens. About 6-9 months after getting them, one didn't come back at night, shaking biscuit box at the door had no effect, we wandered up and down the road calling her. Very stressed and distressed.

Getting up and going to work the next morning, just as I walked along our front path and out the gate, I spotted the postman halfway up the other side of the road, coming in my direction, and our cat was trotting along behind him. I dashed over to pick her up and make a fuss and he commented that she was friendly and she often spend time in a neighbours further up, he thought she was theirs! 🤣

I love how cats visit people, make themselves at home, decide to move in. 🐈

Back
Top Bottom