Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your daily cat and kitten news

He's back at his food bowl and scoffing like a good'un right now - after crying myself to sleep this morning because I hadn't seen him eat much, I am now more hopeful that it was something viral (or a flare-up of some latent virus) that he is now getting over. He's almost constantly snotty so it's hard to tell but it's possible he might have been more congested than usual over the last week - fingers crossed - seeing him eat a couple of times in the space of this evening has given me some hope, and he's now jumped up onto a table and is giving himself a bath. This morning he was in the sun with his eyes closed and honestly looked like he was about ready to cark it, I was proper upset and worried about him.

He's back at his food bowl and scoffing like a good'un right now - after crying myself to sleep this morning because I hadn't seen him eat much, I am now more hopeful that it was something viral (or a flare-up of some latent virus) that he is now getting over. He's almost constantly snotty so it's hard to tell but it's possible he might have been more congested than usual over the last week - fingers crossed - seeing him eat a couple of times in the space of this evening has given me some hope, and he's now jumped up onto a table and is giving himself a bath. This morning he was in the sun with his eyes closed and honestly looked like he was about ready to cark it, I was proper upset and worried about him.
I'm so sorry you've been going through that, Epona. I'm glad he's got some appetite back!

I'm so sorry you've been going through that, Epona. I'm glad he's got some appetite back!
Thank you, it's all just exacerbated by happening over Xmas and New Year when a lot of stuff (including vets) are shut or operating a reduced service so it is more difficult to get them seen (plus Xmas/Boxing Day and NYD being at the weekend this year meaning EXTRA days when everything is closed compared to most years).

Which is just what happened when Radar got ill and stopped eating over New Years 2 years ago, I rushed him to the vet on the 2nd after he'd refused all food on the 1st having lost some weight over the previous couple of weeks, we were due to take him in later in the week for a weigh in and checkup but it became more urgent over the festive period - and that is haunting me a bit, it's like history repeating itself and I get the fear.

But then this evening Sonic has had a decent scoff, he's groomed himself and he's spent all evening on my lap demanding cuddles - and I tend to think that even the most friendly, human-loving and affectionate cat in the world (which he is) would probably find a quiet spot by himself rather than want cuddles if he was feeling really unwell or about to keel over. So there is that.

Fingers crossed for the vet visit on Monday - I need to write a list of things to talk about - he's a right bugger when it comes to having his teeth looked at (Sonic, not the vet!) so I do want to ask whether they have been properly looked at recently - for a year I couldn't even go in the examination room with him due to COVID so half the time I've no idea what they've actually looked at.

Last edited:
It was a sleepless night last night. Had Chloe and her chonky weight sleeping on my left thigh and Bella sleeping on top of me. Gave them both as long as I could before politely nudging them off as the combined weight was becoming too much

sleep.jpg

Sonic is in acute renal failure and has days rather than weeks.
I am to take him to have him put down when he stops eating.
I feel like someone has emptied me out and binned my insides, like there's nothing inside me to feel anything right now.
Will probably collapse later when it sinks in.

I feel like someone has emptied me out and binned my insides, like there's nothing inside me to feel anything right now.
((Epona )) I'm so sorry to hear this.

The vet said he's not in pain, an option would be to take him to hospital and put him on a drip which would help with hydration in the short term, but as it would be stressful and would only be extending his life for the sake of it I decided to bring him home, the vet agreed that is the better option in this case.

Jakey is going to lose all all the arguments about who gets my lap this week, sorry Jakes, you will have plenty of time with me after, you plump and unreasonably fit and healthy cat :) :(

As always in these situations, words slightly fail me Epona
So sorry to hear it. At least he's not in pain and you got him home.

Oh no! That is awful news - so sorry to hear this. I’ve been there so you have my sympathy and empathy as you carry out the most painful part of the privilege of sharing your life with a cat. I’m sure he knows how loved he is and doesn’t face this alone. Sending best wishes (although that won’t even begin to cover what you’re feeling). 😢

We've also got fleas again (mice came back in recently) but I can't give him a spot on, I forgot to pick up a flea comb at the vets as I was upset, I'm picking them off him. I don't know what else to do. I think his last flea treatment somehow triggered this, he was a bit ill a couple of days afterwards.

I'm feeling upset and angry at the moment, probably trying to find a why for this and place blame somehow. It's not right.

Back
Top Bottom