Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your daily cat and kitten news

Walked into the bedroom with my shoes and coat on to grab the keys. Bella thought I was coming to take her to the vet and ducked down. Then peeked her head up watching to see if I would come over to grab her :D

bel.jpg

Effie is due back to the vet today for a check up, she is viewing the cat carrier in the hall with great suspicion. The cat door is locked. :)

Effie is due back to the vet today for a check up, she is viewing the cat carrier in the hall with great suspicion. The cat door is locked. :)

When I need to put the girls into a cattery, I tend to get the carriers out the night before and place it in the kitchen. Then when its time to call uber, I get out the cat treats and close the kitchen door. Once they have finished the treats, I put them each in the carriers. I feel awful and hate myself when they try to get out the kitchen, but can't escape as the door is closed.

First firework of the night just went off right outside our windows. Thank fuck our cats are not worried by them - Jakey charged TOWARDS the window to have a look out :D
I was worried it would freak Lilith out, but she seems unbothered as usual. I'm recovering from a cold and to be honest, she gets more startled when I have to cough or sneeze.

Sonic spent the firework session sitting on my lap (where he has been having cuddles for most of the evening) looking out of the window at the mass of fireworks going off locally. Jakey was fast asleep on his pillow throughout, didn't even look up. Sonic has now gone to the cat pillow to curl up with Jakey :)

I'm worried about Sonic. He is so skinny and looking a bit frail. He is eating, but I don't see him eating a lot in one go. Have a vet appointment booked for the morning of the 3rd - I already mentioned this and that I would take him to the hospital if he stopped eating or got worse before then (I have also posted about my dissatisfaction with my local vet surgery recently in terms of availability of appointments) - well he has been ticking along with no major dip in condition, but I wouldn't say he was in great shape.

I've had a difficult time over the festive period because I am worrying about him constantly. But as I have health anxiety, I do not know how much I am building this up. Could be I get him to the vet and he hasn't lost any weight and is fine. Could be I get him to the vet and they tell me he's old and nearing his time (although his nephew Jakey who is just 3 months younger is plump and muscular and running around like a racehorse!!!) It might be that I am overly worried and nothing is wrong, this time of year was difficult when Radar died because he became ill over the New Year festive period, it might be that I am reading too much into things, I've been having a lot of trouble recently with anxiety. I hope it is something wrong with me in terms of worrying unnecessarily about Sonic instead of being something with him that I need to be worried about.

I'm worried about Sonic. He is so skinny and looking a bit frail. He is eating, but I don't see him eating a lot in one go. Have a vet appointment booked for the morning of the 3rd - I already mentioned this and that I would take him to the hospital if he stopped eating or got worse before then (I have also posted about my dissatisfaction with my local vet surgery recently in terms of availability of appointments) - well he has been ticking along with no major dip in condition, but I wouldn't say he was in great shape.

I've had a difficult time over the festive period because I am worrying about him constantly. But as I have health anxiety, I do not know how much I am building this up. Could be I get him to the vet and he hasn't lost any weight and is fine. Could be I get him to the vet and they tell me he's old and nearing his time (although his nephew Jakey who is just 3 months younger is plump and muscular and running around like a racehorse!!!) It might be that I am overly worried and nothing is wrong, this time of year was difficult when Radar died because he became ill over the New Year festive period, it might be that I am reading too much into things, I've been having a lot of trouble recently with anxiety. I hope it is something wrong with me in terms of worrying unnecessarily about Sonic instead of being something with him that I need to be worried about.
Hopefully it's just old age. Lilith's only a year and a half, but she doesn't eat most meals in one go, although she's usually finished by the time of her next meal. So I wouldn't worry too much about that. The weight loss could be worms or something else minor. Anxiety is understandable though, considering the loss of Radar and the time of year. I also have a tendency of reading patterns into things, but I'm sure it's just coincidence. Not long now until your vet appointment and they'll be able to let you know what's what. Hold on to the fact that at least nothing's happened that requires the emergency vet! Thinking of you all.

(((( Epona and sonic ))))

would you be able to weigh him at home? (some cats wouldn't stand for being picked up and held while you stand on the scales - don't know if it's practical with him)

i'd be inclined to try not to worry too much (easier said than done) and take the situation over a few days at a time rather than get too worried by one 'bad' day (within reason) - older cats, like older people, will have the occasional day when they aren't feeling so good, and don't feel like eating much, but can be ok the next day.

(((( Epona and sonic ))))

would you be able to weigh him at home? (some cats wouldn't stand for being picked up and held while you stand on the scales - don't know if it's practical with him)

i'd be inclined to try not to worry too much (easier said than done) and take the situation over a few days at a time rather than get too worried by one 'bad' day (within reason) - older cats, like older people, will have the occasional day when they aren't feeling so good, and don't feel like eating much, but can be ok the next day.

I tried to get him on the kitchen scales but it's only got a small platform and he wasn't having it - tried getting him to sit in a box and a big bowl so I could weigh him in that but it was a no-go - he was all "why are you doing weird stuff with me?" and skulked off in a huff. I need some baby scales really - accurate enough to weigh small animals and with a big platform - but haven't had time to get any this week.

He didn't have much interest in food yesterday although did eat a little (if he stops for 24 hours that is emergency hospital time) but earlier this evening he ate half a pouch of whiskas and I've bought some chicken breasts as he is usually all over that when I offer it, I'll poach one for him later. Not sure it is what he is supposed to be eating (he is on early renal dry food) but I am just looking at keeping him going until his vet appointment on Monday morning as the priority right now.

He's on my lap with Jakey and we're all having cuddles, he seems frail though, poor wee mite. I love him to bits.

I tried to get him on the kitchen scales but it's only got a small platform and he wasn't having it - tried getting him to sit in a box and a big bowl so I could weigh him in that but it was a no-go - he was all "why are you doing weird stuff with me?" and skulked off in a huff. I need some baby scales really - accurate enough to weigh small animals and with a big platform - but haven't had time to get any this week.

possibly stating the obvious, but would he be OK with you picking him up and standing on the bathroom scales, then repeating the exercise without kitty and doing A minus B equals Cat?

possibly stating the obvious, but would he be OK with you picking him up and standing on the bathroom scales, then repeating the exercise without kitty and doing A minus B equals Cat?

Don't have any bathroom scales, and in general they are not accurate enough to track weight loss in a small animal, only to give an approximate weight. (accurate to 250g is not accurate enough)

He didn't have much interest in food yesterday although did eat a little (if he stops for 24 hours that is emergency hospital time) but earlier this evening he ate half a pouch of whiskas and I've bought some chicken breasts as he is usually all over that when I offer it, I'll poach one for him later. Not sure it is what he is supposed to be eating (he is on early renal dry food) but I am just looking at keeping him going until his vet appointment on Monday morning as the priority right now.

He's on my lap with Jakey and we're all having cuddles, he seems frail though, poor wee mite. I love him to bits.

I really hope Sonic is on the mend. Sending positive vibes 🙂

Back
Top Bottom