Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your daily cat and kitten news

Thank you Sugar Kane and Epona for the practical advice! Yes, legally he doesn't have a leg to stand on. It's the falling out with a friend that's shitty, but then if he was a real friend he wouldn't have put me in this position. I promise you more Lilith pics in due course.

Agreed - I am sure if you'd heard from him and he'd asked to come and visit regularly to stay friends with both you and Lilith, you'd have been delighted to let him visit her - that would have been the friend thing to do. Otherwise he should have just said in the first place "I might be gone a month or two, can you look after her until I return?" and it would have been clear you were cat-sitting temporarily - either of those situations would be reasonable and fine. What he has done is neither.

Just found out he's emailed my housemates a screenshot of a Whatsapp conversation where I'd previously told him he could have Lilith back if he came back to the UK. That was before I'd found out about him incurring all that debt with the vet though. Hope this isn't a precedent. I apologised that they've been dragged into it, and accept that I should have said no straight away, even without the debt thing. But I was too stunned at the time to react appropriately. I'm angry he's stooped to this, but angry at myself for not telling him to fuck off immediately.

Just found out he's emailed my housemates a screenshot of a Whatsapp conversation where I'd previously told him he could have Lilith back if he came back to the UK. That was before I'd found out about him incurring all that debt with the vet though. Hope this isn't a precedent. I apologised that they've been dragged into it, and accept that I should have said no straight away, even without the debt thing. But I was too stunned at the time to react appropriately. I'm angry he's stooped to this, but angry at myself for not telling him to fuck off immediately.
He's really being unfair to you. He should be so grateful for your kindness.
(((LeytonCatLady ))) x

😟

So he changed his mind...and thinks its ok to change his mind.
Well ... you changed your mind too when it became clear he was a cunt who not only left Lillith but left a debt of vet bills..and didnt tell you.
You've decided to keep Lillith.

He can go fuck off

Last edited:
So he changed his mind...and thinks its ok to change his mind.
Well ... you changed your mind too when it became clear he was a cunt who not only left Lillith but left a debt of vet bills..and didnt tell you.
You've decided to keep Lillith.

He can go fuck off
Thank you Sugar Kane! I've also given our landlord the heads-up in case this guy emails him too. Landlord says this guy has a form for drama and advised that if he comes round, don't let him in - which we weren't going to do anyway - and actually said I should tell him to piss off! I've sent him another email saying just that.

That was BEFORE you had trouble getting treatment for her under his name because of the debt with the vet, you had to take her on as yours to get appropriate veterinary care for her. If you'd got her treated on his vet account and he'd been billed for it then he would have a valid argument, but he clearly left with a load of unpaid debt relating to past care of Lilith and no provision made for her ongoing care.

One can't just say "you look after this and pay for it for now and I'll come back and claim it when I feel like it" - shit doesn't work like that.

Jakey was given to me because of unexpected housing issues and the person who had him could not keep all her cats. He had been a stud and she got him neutered and gave him to me (I had Sonic from her the year before so she knew I would not only look after him, but also love him). I got an email from her a while later saying she'd got a new place to live and for a minute my heart was in my mouth thinking she might want him back, because I had fallen in love with Jakey in that time - but she never ever asked for him back. She thanked me for giving him a home and looking after him and loving him. We don't live near enough to meet up, but I email her a couple of times a year with updates about the cats and include a photo. If she wanted to come and visit she'd be welcome. We've had Jakey for 13 years now!

And as Epona says...
LCL you have gotten attached to Lillith and she has grown attached to you.
It's not as if Lillith was left in this guys place and you just dropped in to feed her. You gave Lillith love and care and a home. You dropped your guard and love her.

It's a shit thing to do to now come along asking for her back. Basically you became her mum...and he has a nerve looking for her back now.
He's not thinking about what is best for Lillith.

Thank you Sugar Kane! I've also given our landlord the heads-up in case this guy emails him too. Landlord says this guy has a form for drama and advised that if he comes round, don't let him in - which we weren't going to do anyway - and actually said I should tell him to piss off! I've sent him another email saying just that.

What you’re doing is putting the needs of Lilith first and it’s the right thing to do. You’ve obviously got a strong bond with her and whichever way you cut it she is better off with you - as you’re giving her the stability and love she deserves and something this fella just can’t understand or provide. Hoping he sees sense 🤞✌️

What you’re doing is putting the needs of Lilith first and it’s the right thing to do. You’ve obviously got a strong bond with her and whichever way you cut it she is better off with you - as you’re giving her the stability and love she deserves and something this fella just can’t understand or provide. Hoping he sees sense 🤞✌️
Oh he loves her all right, I can't deny that. But I think he forgets she's not the same as a doll, there to cuddle and make him feel good. Yes, that's a nice part of having a cat, but they've got their feelings and needs too. And although he feeds her and he did initially get her kitten jabs/spaying prior to getting into debt, I can't risk returning her to someone who's so cavalier about her medical care. Yes, she's young and healthy now but cats get sick/age much quicker and easier than humans and they need someone who can pay for vet bills in the worst case scenario. If he can't be bothered to do that, he's not ready for a cat IMO, and it's no longer about hurting his feelings. Harsh as it sounds, I think his love for her is superficial - like "Awww, she's so cute!" without thinking of the practicalities.

Thank you for the support.

LCL
I reckon you have probably expressed your position properly despite and social media ‘evidence’.
I hope you don’t think I am making light of your dilemma and distress, but the Lillith saga has put me in mind of the film ‘As Good As It Gets’, and Brecht’s ‘Caucasian Chalk Circle’.

I won't be giving her back. I decided to send him an email. It sounds harsh, but I think he needs to understand how his behaviour has affected us.

Hi

I have to say, I was pretty floored when you said you wanted Lilith back, which is why I didn't say what I'm about to say then. I know she was your cat first, but you didn't tell me when you left it would only be a temporary thing. You said to me "She's your cat now" and let me move into the bigger room with higher rent. If I'd known you'd want her back after a month, I could have looked after her in my smaller room and kept my rent as it was. I can't move back in there as there's a new tenant renting it now. I feel like you've really screwed me.

I am also concerned that if she went back to live with you, she may not get proper medical care if she needed it. I have taken her for her checkup and booster, which initially the vet didn't want to do due to your debt. She eventually let me have the appointment anyway on the condition I re-registered Lilith in my name. I've also got insurance for her. I don't want to knock you for having financial difficulties, as after all everyone has tough periods of their life, but you shouldn't commit to having a pet you can't afford to look after.

The other guys in the house have also commented she seems happier and gets more freedom with me. I appreciate you always fed her and changed her litter but we sometimes didn't see her for weeks on end because you'd shut yourself away. I know every house is different, and I'm lucky to have housemates I trust enough to be able to leave the bedroom door open a crack so she can go in and out and explore the house at will. So I don't think it would be fair to uproot Lilith to a place where she/you don't know anybody, even if you're allowed pets there. It's one thing to have an indoor cat, which on the whole she is, but keeping her shut up in one room isn't really fair on her.

With all the above in mind, I really think she's better off with me and I'm not happy to hand her over to you. Not to mention that I feel like you've cheated me with first telling me I was Lilith's new owner, then wanting her back when it suits you. That's not how pet ownership works. They're not hobbies you can put down and pick up at your convenience, they're living beings who need proper, consistent care. Which I've given her and will continue to give her. I am seriously worried that if you fall out with someone at your next place and bugger off again, there might not be some equivalent cat lover to look after her a second time. And you wouldn't be able to claim her back if you'd gone with your initial plan of putting her in a shelter!

I know you're probably going to end up hating me after this, but to be honest I really don't care any more. I have to do what's best for Lilith now. I hope one day you'll sort yourself out enough to care for a cat permanently, but please don't do that until you're 100% sure you can commit yourself for life.

I wish you the best.

That's a great email. Don't give her up. The locked in a room and vet debt is extremely concerning.

Hey there LCL - that email is perfect and any reasonable person would suck it up and - at the very least! - apologise to you. I really hope you and this bloke don't fall out, but if you do, it's further proof that he isn't really a reasonable person. I mean, if he was genuinely that attached to the cat and this chain of events just happened to him through bad luck and disaster, rather than shit planning and decision making - even then - he a/ wouldn't even have considered returning Lilith to a shelter EVER, b/ if he genuinely wanted her back he would have agreed costs/handback dates with you before leaving, or c/ come back to you with a grovelling apology for leaving it so long AND a wad of cash to pay you back all your outlays. None of which he has done. So I just don't think he was ever all that serious or responsible about her to be honest.

Hey there LCL - that email is perfect and any reasonable person would suck it up and - at the very least! - apologise to you. I really hope you and this bloke don't fall out, but if you do, it's further proof that he isn't really a reasonable person. I mean, if he was genuinely that attached to the cat and this chain of events just happened to bad luck and disaster - even then - he a/ wouldn't even have considered returning Lilith to a shelter, b/ if he genuinely wanted her back he would have agreed costs/handback dates with you before leaving, or c/ come back to you with a grovelling apology for leaving it so long AND a wad of cash to pay you back all your outlays. None of which he has done. So I just don't think he was ever all that serious or responsible about her to be honest.
I think you and everyone else are right. It's not been easy to accept because we were friends, and I've tried to excuse him numerous times in the 15 months I've known him, telling myself that he does suffer from anxiety at times and he probably doesn't mean to be selfish/rude etc. But I know that's unfair to the millions of people with any type of mental health problem who wouldn't dream of being inconsiderate to others, or neglecting a pet.

LeytonCatLady Also, he's not even back yet, hasn't (presumably) even seen where he's going to be living. Does he even know the people he'll be living with? So as well as all the other stuff, he can't seriously expect to just take Lilith there and assume that's ok. It'd be another upheaval for her, to a situation that may not be suitable at all (he can't know that it will be). And like I said, that's on top of the other things.

Back
Top Bottom