Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your daily cat and kitten news

She's adorable. Still plays like a kitten, and she's got loads of toys. I'm a childfree woman of 35, and haven't had a pet since childhood, so this is the first time I've been responsible for another sentient being. Although I've worked and paid rent since I was 16, my personal life has been lived like a single person, which is what I am. But now I'm Lilith's mum and I believe she's going to change me for the better because I"ll need to put her first.
Quite the turnaround form not being able to stroke her!! :cool: Lucky cat

My big sister's been to visit our parents, and their cats:
f7928eabb5a64c1d3b773d16d6a7f3b0b57a1c95.jpg

She is very cute LeytonCatLady - woohoo free cat!

Haha! Thanks. They think she had a home at some point, which I would agree with having had a feral cat in the past - this one is accustomed to having staff, for sure.

I'm sorry about Delilah. It does feel like a bit of a betrayal tbh. If you have the luxury of not being harassed, I would take it slowly. (And if you're like me don't look at those sites or you will just end up with a cat :D )

How soon is too soon is different for everyone, there's no right or wrong to it. The longest I have ever been without a pet of some sort was around 6 months and that was due to being a lodger somewhere rather than having my own place (and even then I bonded quite well with the landlady's poodle, so I wasn't without animal company - as she had an evening bar job that worked out quite well for everyone because I looked after Snowy a lot of the time while she was out - sweet little thing he was, mad as a box of frogs mind).

Giving a home to another is not a betrayal, it is a wonderful act of generosity when you are still grieving - and if your children wanted her then it's all good. You can grieve and come to love the new arrival at the same time :)

How soon is too soon is different for everyone, there's no right or wrong to it. The longest I have ever been without a pet of some sort was around 6 months and that was due to being a lodger somewhere rather than having my own place (and even then I bonded quite well with the landlady's poodle, so I wasn't without animal company).

Giving a home to another is not a betrayal, it is a wonderful act of generosity when you are still grieving - and if your children wanted her then it's all good. You can grieve and come to love the new arrival at the same time :)

indeed

i've known people who have wanted to leave it a good while after losing a cat / dog, i've known people who have been round the rescue centres the next day.

So this is Chewy. She's about 10, was sleeping rough in a park. Very sweet and affectionate. She's got a lot of attitude and seems to shit constantly. Hoping the latter will improve once she's settled in a bit

welcome to the thread, chewy

I just obtained an old but new cat too - my housemate had to move back to Bulgaria suddenly and I've taken responsibility for his black cat Lilith

:) at you being adopted by a kitty

The ‘talking cat’ on the bend down the road is male and has a name!
I got talking to his ‘owner’, and asked the cat’s name which turns out to be ‘Buster’.
I said I usually call him ‘the talking cat’, the bloke snorted saying ‘that’s not what I fucking call him!’
😁
Anyway here is Buster this morning being unusually quiet.

70ADB1F7-399A-49CB-917D-2CDF652AFD6D.jpeg

Found Lilith having a stand off with Cookie next door! He often comes in our garden and sits on the living room windowsill outside. Today Lilith spotted him and he stared her out in an intimidating way. She was all hissing and fat, fluffed up tail and I could see from her body language she didn't like him at all. I like Cookie but I had to scare him off as I don't want him bullying my baby.

Are the foxes and cats friendly? I'm a bit worried about letting Lilith out unsupervised as we get a lot of foxes in Tottenham and you hear stories about foxes attacking cats.

there's quite a few foxes and quite a few cats round where mum-tat lives (SE London suburbs) and never heard of anything like that round there.

there's been a fox / fox family (or generations of them) living in mum's garden / semi derelict garage for years - at one point they had one end for sleeping and neighbour's cats had a nap spot at the other end and i did see them both in there once or twice (the cats in question are no longer with us) - they weren't snuggled up together or anything like that, but they didn't seem to be objecting to each other.

Have witnessed plenty of cat-fox tolerance in urban settings - both seem more intrigued-but-wary of the other than anything more aggressive - but I wouldn't want a really timid or small/vulnerable cat exposed to them. Main danger IMHO is cats catching fleas or mange off the foxes, which - however well they may look - are often crawling with pests, and cats bringing those back into your home.

When on the path to the CO-OP yesterday I passed the (ex?) social housing where residents have put up rickety trellis like

96D2D373-CAE7-443F-B101-2DEF4A8D01F0.jpeg3E4B0FAE-B313-41C5-8F0A-BD84E42E65EE.jpegfences around their tiny gardens.
Cat territory of course, where this cute creature ‘frames’ themselves to observe passers by.
Two pics, but one I have enlarged to a close up.

When on the path to the CO-OP yesterday I passed the (ex?) social housing where residents have put up rickety trellis like View attachment 297351View attachment 297352fences around their tiny gardens.
Cat territory of course, where this cute creature ‘frames’ themselves to observe passers by.
Two pics, but one I have enlarged to a close up.

That is one pissed off looking kitty, I think I am in love ❤️

Might be worth getting her checked over by a vet - My late cat Whiskers was shitting a lot and I discovered it was a warning for some of her ongoing health issues.

She's just had quite a thorough check by the Cats Protection vet. I think it's calming down a bit so probably nerves. What were the health issues? (Sorry :( )

It was one of the first signs of the onset of thyroid problems.

Although it can also be a sign of fairly extreme territorial marking if a cat feels threatened.

Do you know if the vet who examined her did any blood tests - It would normally be something they would do with a mature/older cat.

Last edited:
It was one of the first signs of the onset of thyroid problems.

Although it can also be a sign of fairly extreme territorial marking if a cat feels threatened.

Do you know if the vet who examined her did any blood tests - It would normally be something they would do with a mature/older cat.

Yeah they tested her thyroid and did a range of other blood tests.

I don't think she feels threatened. I think it was probably anxiety from the upheaval. She's shat twice today which is in the ballpark of normal at least.

Back
Top Bottom