Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your daily cat and kitten news

So my lockdown walk to Manor House Gardens this morning showed that the three cygnets the Swan couple had this year is now two!
The herons won't be responsible nor all the other littler water creatures.
My partner reckons it might be down to the big ginger bruiser often seen around Swan island on the very mini lake, but I reckon it might be down to park neighbour and queen of Lee legendary Sadie the cat, who looked well happy on the wooden wall.
20210622_124935.jpg

Last edited:
Chloe looking to go out but its past 11pm. So she will have to wait till tomorrow morning.

PXL-20210622-222247763-01.jpg

It’s been in the media but in case anyone feeding dry food has missed it...
There has been an unprecedented spike in cases of feline Pancytopenia and last week the RVS made a statement and recommended withdrawal of some brands of dry cat food. Initially this was for Applaws, Ava (from Pets at Home), and Sainsbury’s hypoallergenic, specifically those bags with location code GB218E5009 which were produced at Fold Hill at Old Leake, Boston, Lincolnshire. Since then, Wilko have voluntarily recalled their own brand dry food as it is made at the same location, as are some Lidl and Aldi dry food.

The food may have been bought from various retailers including Amazon and Zooplus. Advice is to stop feeding it and all retailers should refund the cost. Some retailers are also refunding veterinary fees for blood tests but I’m not sure if that’s only in cats with symptoms. Symptoms can include lethargy, anaemia (pale or white gums, inner ears and paw pads), vomiting, blood in the litter tray. Pancytopenia affects the bone marrow so the cat becomes neutropenic and anaemic. It is aggressive and has a high fatality rate.
Anyone using Facebook can look at the group, Pancytopenia in Cats Awareness UK. It is hugely useful informative but sadly there are a lot of repetitive posts saying “but are you sure THIS food is safe...”, and citing wet foods, which are not implicated, or eg Applaws with a French location code (FR) - the common feature at this stage is dry food produced at Fold Hill in Lincs, factory code GB218E5009. Please check bags for this code, and watch cats carefully for symptoms.
My daughter had been using Applaws bought from Amazon and they have refunded without her even approaching them. Happily her cats are well, so far.

Attachments

• 14C9E935-A210-4D14-B98E-E14D17DB7796.png
    14C9E935-A210-4D14-B98E-E14D17DB7796.png
    634.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 58D125CD-392B-491C-9F3F-6DC8588CF014.jpeg
    58D125CD-392B-491C-9F3F-6DC8588CF014.jpeg
    93.1 KB · Views: 0
We'd just finished trying out the Republic of Cats offer, and they emailed a while back to say it was safe and offered £5 off the next order if we had to replace anything. Pity Bernard didn't like either of their kibbles, because it's not a bad deal when you factor in the convenience of it.
(Yes, I know it's relabelled Purina Gourmet but the price for having it all delivered once a month is attractive)

It’s been in the media but in case anyone feeding dry food has missed it...
There has been an unprecedented spike in cases of feline Pancytopenia and last week the RVS made a statement and recommended withdrawal of some brands of dry cat food. Initially this was for Applaws, Ava (from Pets at Home), and Sainsbury’s hypoallergenic, specifically those bags with location code GB218E5009 which were produced at Fold Hill at Old Leake, Boston, Lincolnshire. Since then, Wilko have voluntarily recalled their own brand dry food as it is made at the same location, as are some Lidl and Aldi dry food.

The food may have been bought from various retailers including Amazon and Zooplus. Advice is to stop feeding it and all retailers should refund the cost. Some retailers are also refunding veterinary fees for blood tests but I’m not sure if that’s only in cats with symptoms. Symptoms can include lethargy, anaemia (pale or white gums, inner ears and paw pads), vomiting, blood in the litter tray. Pancytopenia affects the bone marrow so the cat becomes neutropenic and anaemic. It is aggressive and has a high fatality rate.
Anyone using Facebook can look at the group, Pancytopenia in Cats Awareness UK. It is hugely useful informative but sadly there are a lot of repetitive posts saying “but are you sure THIS food is safe...”, and citing wet foods, which are not implicated, or eg Applaws with a French location code (FR) - the common feature at this stage is dry food produced at Fold Hill in Lincs, factory code GB218E5009. Please check bags for this code, and watch cats carefully for symptoms.
My daughter had been using Applaws bought from Amazon and they have refunded without her even approaching them. Happily her cats are well, so far.

Ours eat Iams or Whiskas dry food, and various wet ones.

Does anyone know why the food from that manufacturer is causing the illness?

Currently dry food brands which are definitely not made at the Fold Hill site include Royal Canin, James Wellbeloved, Lily’s Kitchen, Purina One, ProPlan, Meowing Heads.
My Elsa and Salem prefer wet food (and their very clear dislike of the ‘new’ Felix is another issue).

Attachments

• 38CC0D5F-A4A6-4959-8875-2D683E187528.jpeg
    38CC0D5F-A4A6-4959-8875-2D683E187528.jpeg
    139.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 46AFA30A-2A39-49AA-A874-B2B2F266B402.jpeg
    46AFA30A-2A39-49AA-A874-B2B2F266B402.jpeg
    190.3 KB · Views: 9
Ours eat Iams or Whiskas dry food, and various wet ones.

Does anyone know why the food from that manufacturer is causing the illness?
Possibly a toxin but investigation will continue and it’ll be a while before they can be sure. Vets treating affected cats have questionnaires from the RVC asking not only about the food they’ve had but which cat litter, household cleaning products, candles and diffusers, any history of Covid in the household, all sorts. As Pets at Home were quick to agree to refund vet fees “as a gesture of goodwill”, I wonder if that is in anticipation of a major case of litigation - could acceptance of a “goodwill” payment have a clause precluding future potential litigation or compensation? It could go sky high.

Fold Hill acknowledge the three brands recalled initially, and that Wilko have voluntarily recalled theirs made at the same location, but they refuse to publish a full list of foods made there. My daughter has also been feeding her dog on Applaws from the same site, though no problems have been identified with the dog food.

I think some people may have attributed the hot weather last week to a cat seeming lethargic... cats that go outside and don’t use a litter tray may not easily be identified as passing blood... it seems to be so very aggressive that vigilance really is key.

Possibly a toxin but investigation will continue and it’ll be a while before they can be sure. Vets treating affected cats have questionnaires from the RVC asking not only about the food they’ve had but which cat litter, household cleaning products, candles and diffusers, any history of Covid in the household, all sorts. As Pets at Home were quick to agree to refund vet fees “as a gesture of goodwill”, I wonder if that is in anticipation of a major case of litigation - could acceptance of a “goodwill” payment have a clause precluding future potential litigation or compensation? It could go sky high.

That is a bit of a worry really, you think about all sorts of things that can harm them, like lilies, but not really about commercial cat food.

Oh! Today's gonna be a fucking great day

"late" to bed last night (about 9'ish, which is late for me given my early morning get up time). Then FiFi decides to do her early morning yowl some time between 3 and 4 (it was a damned sight nearer to 3 mind) Mrs Voltz, I'm fairly sure went to get her along with Casper, he's her boyfriend (in waiting). I could just make out the yowl through properly fitted ear plugs and moderate hearing issues

Just get them all resettled back into bed then the Clown Prince Clive breaks the silence with his usual Hehwo! Waaah! Like I'm going to be getting back to sleep anytime soon

There is a mouse in this flowerbed, hiding among the pots. Donut has been out there watching it/trying to snaffle it for about 40 minutes. I have actually seen it come out and go along the wall into the rosemary bush, with him following along behind. It wasn't even running. He's so shit :D

20210625_091856.jpg

Viv doesn't seem aware, which is just as well for the mouse because she's ruthless and will catch it in about two seconds.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom