Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your daily cat and kitten news

Ah. Cheers.
The thing about the dark parts of Bloom is in pictures he looks black and white, but he is actually brown.
Like strong coffee.
Since discovering this thread I have found I love it for some reason.
Don’t have a cat in my place, but love it that there is a local one always pleased to see me, sometimes even talks to me in that cat way.

The cat caught and killed a sparrow today and tried to bring it to me in bed today.
Door was shut so he left it in the hall for me.

The other half is proper squeamish (hides her face during any slightly violent tv scene) so it was very lucky she didn’t find it. Screamed her head off as I walked by to pop it in the bin. Bin had to go out early today obviously.

She stills insists it was probably an accident and that the cat didn’t mean it and was bringing it to me for first aid.

Vastra walked in just as I was starting my shavasana (aka lying there doing nothing) at the end of my yoga in the front room this morning. She let out an exclamatory 'Mrwwwep?' which might have been 'RUOK? but was more likely 'Wen u gonna feed me?' and proceeded to nuzzle my hand and head for the next few minutes. Not very yogic, but nice.
I do a virtual pilates every Friday at 12. Ozzie spends the whole hour watching / stealing strokes when my hands are available.

I like to think she's enjoying the exercise and it has nothing to do with lunchtime at 1pm.

This could well be bullshit, but on social media news is making the rounds that cats who have been fed dry cat food from a particular British pet food factory have died. Apparently there is a code on the packet which shows where the food was produced and it is GB218E5009. Maybe play it safe till more is known and check for that code. Something like that has happened not long ago with dog food, so is not out of the question.

Just adding that this is not bullshit. Got an email from Pets4Home saying as much. Heres the email:
open.aspx

Can't see this email? View it here.​

VIP Pets at Home

Dear customer,

We have been made aware of a recent rise in severe feline pancytopenia cases, which has been identified by the Royal Veterinary College (RVC). Whilst the cause of this rise in cases is yet to be determined, we have been working at pace with the RVC, the Food Standards Agency (FSA), suppliers and manufacturers.

As a precautionary measure, following guidance from the FSA, we are implementing the manufacturer’s decision to withdraw and recall from sale the full range of AVA and Applaws dry cat food.

According to our records you have purchased one or more of the products in these ranges during the last six months. We have outlined a full list of the affected products below.

The safety and welfare of your cat is our top priority. If you are still using any of these products, this is what you need to do now:
  1. Please stop feeding these foods with immediate effect
  2. Dispose of the contents safely
  3. Return the packaging to any Pets at Home store where our pet care advisors will help you find a suitable alternative free of charge or offer you a full refund
If you receive one of the affected products on our Easy Repeat subscription service we will be in touch with further information.

Whilst the RVC has identified a recent rise in cases, feline pancytopenia is still extremely rare and the number of cases reported remains low at this stage. The symptoms vary and can be severe - if you are worried about your cat because they are showing signs of illness, please speak to your vet immediately.

Together with our vet clinicians we are working closely with the RVC, FSA and the wider industry whilst further investigations are being carried out. We understand that this may be concerning, but we want to reassure you that we are doing everything we can to support the relevant authorities.

As always our pet care advisors are available in store if you have any further questions.

Yours sincerely,

Pets at Home

The full list of affected products are:

AVA Kitten Chicken 300g/ Ava Kitten Chicken 2kg
AVA Adult Chicken 300g/ Ava Adult Chicken 2kg/ Ava Adult Chicken 4kg
AVA Adult Fish 2kg
AVA Mature Chicken 7+ 2kg- / Ava Mature Chicken 7+ 4kg
AVA Senior Chicken 12+ 2kg
AVA Sensitive Skin & Stomach 1.5kg
AVA Weight Management 1.5kg
AVA Hairball 1.5kg
AVA Oral Care 1.5kg
AVA British Shorthair 1.5kg
AVA Persian 1.5kg
AVA Maine Coon 1.5kg

For Applaws products only any packs with a Best Before Date of Dec 2022 to Best Before Date of June 2023 and a site reference code of GB218E5009 are affected.

Applaws Chicken 400g, 2kg and 7.5kg
Applaws Chicken & Salmon 400g, 2kg and 7.5kg
Applaws Kitten Chicken 400g, 2kg and 7.5kg
Applaws Chicken & Lamb 400g, 2kg and 7.5kg
Applaws Chicken & Duck 400g, 2kg and 7.5kg
Applaws Ocean Fish 350g, 1.8kg and 6kg
Applaws Senior Chicken 400g, 2kg and 7.5kg​

I would suggest to anyone who has a cat that has eaten any of the recalled food products to at least phone the vet for a chat and get them examined/blood tests done if the vet recommends it.

Often with that sort of blood disorder, getting supportive therapy at an early/mild stage can make a huge difference - so I would suggest at least phone your vet and have a chat about it even if your cat currently appears well. Really better to err on the side of caution on this sort of thing IMO.

I do hope everyones' cats are ok, must be a huge worry if you might be affected :(

Just adding that this is not bullshit. Got an email from Pets4Home saying as much. Heres the email:
open.aspx

Can't see this email? View it here.​

VIP Pets at Home

Dear customer,

We have been made aware of a recent rise in severe feline pancytopenia cases, which has been identified by the Royal Veterinary College (RVC). Whilst the cause of this rise in cases is yet to be determined, we have been working at pace with the RVC, the Food Standards Agency (FSA), suppliers and manufacturers.

As a precautionary measure, following guidance from the FSA, we are implementing the manufacturer’s decision to withdraw and recall from sale the full range of AVA and Applaws dry cat food.

According to our records you have purchased one or more of the products in these ranges during the last six months. We have outlined a full list of the affected products below.

The safety and welfare of your cat is our top priority. If you are still using any of these products, this is what you need to do now:​
  1. Please stop feeding these foods with immediate effect
  2. Dispose of the contents safely
  3. Return the packaging to any Pets at Home store where our pet care advisors will help you find a suitable alternative free of charge or offer you a full refund

If you receive one of the affected products on our Easy Repeat subscription service we will be in touch with further information.

Whilst the RVC has identified a recent rise in cases, feline pancytopenia is still extremely rare and the number of cases reported remains low at this stage. The symptoms vary and can be severe - if you are worried about your cat because they are showing signs of illness, please speak to your vet immediately.

Together with our vet clinicians we are working closely with the RVC, FSA and the wider industry whilst further investigations are being carried out. We understand that this may be concerning, but we want to reassure you that we are doing everything we can to support the relevant authorities.

As always our pet care advisors are available in store if you have any further questions.

Yours sincerely,

Pets at Home

The full list of affected products are:

AVA Kitten Chicken 300g/ Ava Kitten Chicken 2kg
AVA Adult Chicken 300g/ Ava Adult Chicken 2kg/ Ava Adult Chicken 4kg
AVA Adult Fish 2kg
AVA Mature Chicken 7+ 2kg- / Ava Mature Chicken 7+ 4kg
AVA Senior Chicken 12+ 2kg
AVA Sensitive Skin & Stomach 1.5kg
AVA Weight Management 1.5kg
AVA Hairball 1.5kg
AVA Oral Care 1.5kg
AVA British Shorthair 1.5kg
AVA Persian 1.5kg
AVA Maine Coon 1.5kg

For Applaws products only any packs with a Best Before Date of Dec 2022 to Best Before Date of June 2023 and a site reference code of GB218E5009 are affected.

Applaws Chicken 400g, 2kg and 7.5kg
Applaws Chicken & Salmon 400g, 2kg and 7.5kg
Applaws Kitten Chicken 400g, 2kg and 7.5kg
Applaws Chicken & Lamb 400g, 2kg and 7.5kg
Applaws Chicken & Duck 400g, 2kg and 7.5kg
Applaws Ocean Fish 350g, 1.8kg and 6kg
Applaws Senior Chicken 400g, 2kg and 7.5kg​

Thanks for posting that.

Bingo. Just dropped him off at the rescue place. He's neutered and chipped, so should find out tomorrow if it's a happy ever after.
View attachment 273958
It was the catnip teabag that did it in the end, not the food?
Lady from rescue has been in touch. He's a 3 year-old male called max who apparently went missing 6 weeks ago . His owner has signed him over to the rescue. I knew in my heart he'd been dumped :( if I didn't already have 3 I'd have welcomed him. A very affectionate gentle cat.

The owner told rescue that she's only 5 Mins walk from where I found him. It can only be one house, a couple who moved here recently , I knew they had cats but only ever seen their white one. I tried to say hi when they moved in but they just put their heads down. Pair of bastards. I'm fuming as someone said it looks like the couple's cat who've just moved in.
Let's hope Max gets the loving home he deserves .

Lady from rescue has been in touch. He's a 3 year-old male called max who apparently went missing 6 weeks ago . His owner has signed him over to the rescue. I knew in my heart he'd been dumped :( if I didn't already have 3 I'd have welcomed him. A very affectionate gentle cat.
That's dreadful.

Poor Max, hope he gets some decent new owners who appreciate him.

Last edited:
That;s dreadful.

Poor Max, hope he gets some decent new owners who appreciate him.
He's gorgeous. It's popular to dump them here because of the surrounding woods. Just down the hill there's a couple of very big posh houses and they get litters dumped at their gates. Very unhappy tonight. My friend says ' you can't save them all' , I know I can't but it still affects me really bad. Im losing my faith in the animals with 2 legs :(

He's gorgeous. It's popular to dump them here because of the surrounding woods. Just down the hill there's a couple of very big posh houses and they get litters dumped at their gates. Very unhappy tonight. My friend says ' you can't save them all' , I know I can't but it still affects me really bad. Im losing my faith in the animals with 2 legs :(
Awful, isn't it. I just don't understand how anyone can just dump an animal. I realise there are times when people just can't keep them, but at least take them to an animal shelter.

Anyway, well done you for getting him trapped and hopefully on his way towards a decent new home.

One perch for Bloom on his patrol from my neighbours up the way is a series of shed roofs.
His scrounge patrol is what I call the cat motorway of narrow tops of fences, walls and roofs up and down our road.
This morning he spotted me from the shed roof of my other neighbours and decided to take direct action.FBB04057-C1F9-43CA-A00A-786ED9F030D3.jpeg0FB6011E-2189-4410-BACD-C34088EDE04A.jpeg

Reggie pictured above is very nice looking.
But beauty is only fur deep, it’s personality too.
Who was it said ‘all cats are grey in the dark’?
I agree about a daily Reggie picture though.

One perch for Bloom on his patrol from my neighbours up the way is a series of shed roofs.
His scrounge patrol is what I call the cat motorway of narrow tops of fences, walls and roofs up and down our road.
This morning he spotted me from the shed roof of my other neighbours and decided to take direct action.

I think it would be fascinating to see an aerial view of the neighbourhood divided into cat territories, common walkways, etc. It would give quite an insight into feline politics.

The male cats in our area are either buddies, or have a gentleman’s agreement to patrol the routes at different times.
Not much yowling fighting goes on around our way, maybe the cat population is just right.
Anyway Bloom is not the fighting type, he is good at nesting under our bushes.

The male cats in our area are either buddies, or have a gentleman’s agreement to patrol the routes at different times.
Not much yowling fighting goes on around our way, maybe the cat population is just right.
Anyway Bloom is not the fighting type, he is good at nesting under our bushes.

Our street is very cat heavy - mostly black and whites but ginger cats, black cats and the odd Siamese have reasonable numbers too - so compromise over territory is essential. I suspect that the bottom of our garden is a common no-cats land walkway as there’s a wall that runs the length of about a dozen gardens. Our boys will leave cats alone that are just passing through but will chase out any that stray into the garden proper. Seems to work as peace reigns for the most part.

I think it would be fascinating to see an aerial view of the neighbourhood divided into cat territories, common walkways, etc. It would give quite an insight into feline politics.

there was something on the BBC a few years back tracking a village's kitties

think this is it

Back
Top Bottom