Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your daily cat and kitten news

Milo has come in this morning with a tick behind his ear. Anyone got any experience of removing them? Hoping to pop to the pet shop at lunch to get a tick remover, but tips appreciated :)

They "unscrew" anti clockwise - try not to pull it straight out - don't get the "lassoo" type remover

These are great

41cQFU8shFL._AC_.jpg

If you get the one I've mentioned above - do a trial fit to make sure the tick is big enough and won't slip through - it's not great, but leaving it a day or so, so that it get's big enough really does make removal so much more easier

I say this as someone who's removed ticks from 5 cats over the years and some more than once - we live in the sticks btw

We live in the city, although backing on to some woodland. I wouldn't have thought it would be easy to find ticks where we live at this time of year, but Milo never fails to surprise us with his ability to injure himself or make himself sick, so go figure!

Thanks for the tips!

If you get the one I've mentioned above - do a trial fit to make sure the tick is big enough and won't slip through - it's not great, but leaving it a day or so, so that it get's big enough really does make removal so much more easier

I say this as someone who's removed ticks from 5 cats over the years and some more than once - we live in the sticks btw
Removed safely with minimal fuss using a tick remover like the one you recommended. Cheers!

I look at ours all the time and think 'I should scrape the triangle of fur that is on the outside of that' but realistically it won't happen for ages. Until it light and dry when I get in from work at least.

Jakey has his post-op checkup in the morning - he has been eating well. His face was swollen on the left side up until yesterday but was looking more normal today, so I hope all is OK and no infection.

His face is a different shape now his fangs are gone - his whisker pads are kind of flat so his face is a bit different. His purrs are still the same - like a pneumatic drill. He is giving me purry cuddles right now :D

(EDIT: I just got a good look in his mouth thanks to a massive yawn and it all looks ok from here :) Well at least in as much as having no teeth and some stitches looks ok - it's all relative, nothing looked massively inflamed or worrying)

Oh I just realised I never gave an update about Jakey's vet visit - got him in the carrier without injury to anyone (he is a sweet boy but absolutely hates the carrier and is very strong, I often get accidental scratches when he panics and struggles), no sign of infection, healing ok, needs to spend another few days on wet food and metacam for the inflammation as he had so many taken out and a lot of stitches. I need to take him back in Friday/Saturday for another checkup.

Oh xsunnysuex - I am so so sorry. You have done so much to keep her well and happy, through the diabetes trauma and everything. She was truly the daintiest, most elegant, most chic cat on all urban (sorry, other contenders.) Everything you put on here about her showed your love and care. I'll miss her sweet face and Coco-Chanel- like style. Look after yourself.

Thank you all. Molly was in the animal hospital since last Thursday.
As I said before they thought her being low was due to pancreatitis.
While she was there they found she had really bad teeth. So then they thought her not eating was due to that.
They did a dental and she has been recovering. Her blood levels though were all over the place. Vet said it could be due to the pancreatitis and also the teeth.
Vet called me yesterday and said she was a lot brighter. And had eaten well. And told us to come this morning to collect her.
Off we go on the bus to collect her Really excited to have her home.
On the bus I get a call from the vet saying she'd taken a turn for the worse. She was really flat and miserable again. And a certain blood test they had done came back as 30. It needed to be over 70. So that showed something sinister was going on. She advised it would be kinder to let her go,. As in her words that blood level wasn't compatible with life.
I'm going to miss my Molly moo moo...

Back
Top Bottom