Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your daily cat and kitten news

Do you know which one got it, or was it a tag-team operation?

It's a tough one. Not Buster, the black one, as he has never been interested in food that moves. Edward, the ginger one, has caught a few tiny mice in the past but he has just had a load of teeth removed so I'd be surprised if it's him. Only other visitor to the yard has been a vixen we've been dosing and since stopped feeding but I'd be surprised if it was her, although she does come around to "dance" with the cats.

4B2F9138-7362-47FA-BEEC-5726DEC6B2F3.jpeg

Sadly our cat Boo has lymphoma, which is dispersed through his skin. The Vet has recommended chemotherapy for him to prolong his life a little.

Does anyone have experience of this? I understand it is better tolerated in cats than humans, but was it right for your cat? Apparently you can’t touch the cat during treatment which seems difficult to manage too.

Sorry about Boo, Mr Moose :(

So, the kitten who turned up last Friday has become a playful, lovable little bundle. The next door neighbour also feeds and plays with her :) However, yesterday, I went for a walk in the evening, and around the corner, noticed a mother cat with three kittens. They looked the same size as mine, and one had similar colouring. They were playing in a garden, and clearly someone had been feeding them, as there was a big yoghurt pot full of cat food.

After chatting to a friend who knows more about animals than I do, I decided it was worth seeing if this was my kitten's long lost family. I scooped her up firmly and walked her round. Sadly, despite my kitten's best efforts at being cute (and she clearly REALLY wanted to be part of this family), the mother hissed at her aggressively. So either it wasn't her Mum, or she just wasn't interested anymore :( Felt so sad for the little baby, so brought her back to my garden, where she contentedly went to sleep in a shoe box as she has done every night. This morning, she seems to be gone. ???

Sorry to read about Boo
Molly is at vets today to see what lump is

Did not take the nil by mouth from 8pm last night very well AT ALL!
Hoping the vet will shave her dready belly whilst under anaesthetic too

Thanks all
Apparently Molly has some kind of tumour on her bladder.
As I understand options are meds to help make it smaller or further investigation another time which would involve operating on her or can get a urine sample sent off which is £400 and not that reliable.
:/ Meh
1st option for now

She's had a bit of a shave and currently laid out observing in the lounge

After blood test results apparently Molly has kidney weakness, can try fluid therapy to flush it out which means being at vets for 2 days! And would distress her.

Anyone have any experience of "fluid therapy"?

After blood test results apparently Molly has kidney weakness, can try fluid therapy to flush it out which means being at vets for 2 days! And would distress her.

Not heard of that. Have they said how successful it would be ddraig?
((Molly))

Chloe caught red handed chairing a meeting without inviting me. you have some explaining to do, young lady...

meeting3.jpg

I'd be tempted to phone them in the morning and ask for clarification.

The thing I know about for kidney issues is subcutaneous fluids - because a cat has a loose skin (instead of their skin being firmly anchored all over the body by a layer of tissue/fat like ours is) the standard treatment for managing chronic renal failure is regular injections of fluids under the skin into the scruff of the neck, this is a fairly effective way of flushing out toxins that the kidneys are no longer efficient at removing - it works a bit like dialysis in that regard. If that is required as an ongoing treatment for management of a kidney issue, you could potentially be taught to do that at home, it depends upon how easy your cat is to handle.

It could also mean that they want to keep her on an intravenous drip for a couple of days, maybe that would just be an initial treatment and they want to monitor her condition during that time to see if her kidney function improves?

I would really recommend phoning them, maybe arrange a time to go see the vet for a chat so that they can explain exactly what it entails, and what the short-term and longer-term prognoses are. My vet surgery and our local vet hospital are both happy to do that sort of thing.

Only you can decide what is right for your cat, and how she is likely to react, maybe 2 days at the vet will be worth x amount of happy life to come - but you need to discuss it with your vet further to make the best informed decision IMO.

Best wishes to you all, these decisions can be agonising.

The thing I know about for kidney issues is subcutaneous fluids - because a cat has a loose skin (instead of their skin being firmly anchored all over the body by a layer of tissue/fat like ours is) the standard treatment for managing chronic renal failure is regular injections of fluids under the skin into the scruff of the neck, this is a fairly effective way of flushing out toxins that the kidneys are no longer efficient at removing - it works a bit like dialysis in that regard. If that is required as an ongoing treatment for management of a kidney issue, you could potentially be taught to do that at home, it depends upon how easy your cat is to handle.

We did this for a while with my old cat back in the 90s. But after a few months we decided that he hated it so much that it was kinder to stop and let him go out peacefully at least.

And then the little bastard only went and lived another 3 years before succumbing to kidney failure!!

We did this for a while with my old cat back in the 90s. But after a few months we decided that he hated it so much that it was kinder to stop and let him go out peacefully at least.

And then the little bastard only went and lived another 3 years before succumbing to kidney failure!!

Yeah it very much depends on the cat, there is no one size fits all - a lot depends on how placid they are when being handled, and sometimes the best for their welfare is very much *not* to put them through any of that - I mean I think for tame cats that like a bit of lap time it is at least worth trying with treatment if there is a good chance of them continuing to lead a happy life - as they may handle it ok if they are fairly easy-going and used to being held - but even then it may prove too stressful, and often there is no way of knowing beforehand how they will react to it.

Good that yours had a decent amount of time to carry on doing the lovely being a cat thing before ill health took over - it is always good to hear about those situations :)

I got back to my house this morning to be welcomed by one of next door's waiting on my front door step. She was absolutely over the moon to see me, rolling all over the place seeking the stroke.

I skim read that as I was scrolling down and thought you said a cat was on your doorstep and had had a stroke - thank fuck I misread it!

Thanks again Epona and all
Partner was trying to speak to vet yesterday and they said they would ring back and only did so a few minutes before closing then weren't available when rung straight back.

We would like clarification, especially if we can bring her home overnight rather than leaving for 2 days as that is unclear.
We will probably try the fluid therapy

Thanks again Epona and all
Partner was trying to speak to vet yesterday and they said they would ring back and only did so a few minutes before closing then weren't available when rung straight back.

We would like clarification, especially if we can bring her home overnight rather than leaving for 2 days as that is unclear.
We will probably try the fluid therapy

2 of mine have spent time in the vet hospital overnight - Radar for a total of 8 nights over the period of a couple of weeks! Poor love was in the hospital more than he was home, and Sonic spent a night at the hospital after his CT scan and rhinoscopy - they do that sort of thing late in the day as it (the rhinoscopy, not the scan) is what they call a "dirty procedure" so he stayed in hospital for 1 night as he was still heavily sedated late in the day and they wanted to monitor him overnight - both cats were fine staying in hospital. Radar was a right flirt with the vets and nurses, every time he stayed in he pestered the staff for cuddles whenever he was conscious (I am sure the first couple of days immediately after his initial surgery passed in a complete fog because he was on a fentanyl patch and didn't know which way was up, I visited him daily and he was in a right state the poor lad).

I am aware that my cats are exceptionally friendly and really very bold about being in new places. At one point when Radar was not eating and on a feeding tube, I asked my regular vet whether he thought I was torturing the cat - and the vet shrugged and said "you know your cat better than I do" - as I was syringing liquid food down the feeding tube that night and Radar was sitting there purring and wanting head rubs while he was being fed, I realised the only one I was torturing was myself - I was so stressed that within a few days of Radar being fully recovered and discharged, I had a massive shingles outbreak! He did recover (eventually), he is still active and a very happy little chap, and he still loves me.

Of course if that intensive treatment wasn't likely to resolve in full recovery and a few happy years to come, I would certainly have made different decisions, I wouldn't have done all that simply to hang onto him for longer if there was not a good chance for him to get back to full health.

(OH and I did actually discuss and decide that if stuff kept going wrong and he needed a third feeding tube install or another medical complication that it might be kinder to call it a day - very sad conversation to have, but I think necessary given the circumstances - we went through a variety of scenarios in a very logical manner and decided what would be acceptable/unacceptable in terms of his welfare, then cried after we had logically discussed and agreed on those limits - he is fine now so it's all academic, at least in regards to that health issue!)

So yeah, it depends on the cat - she could well be fine in the hospital for a night or two.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom