Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your daily cat and kitten news

I managed to get a look at the wound on his leg, it doesn't look super pretty, it looks a bit more involved than I was imagining, but he's leaving well enough alone for now. He goes to lick, but seems to be focusing on the fur in the near vicinity rather than the wound (which is shaved all round) -- presumably it smells of evil vet and he wants to get rid of that smell. He's grumpy I'm not letting him go and hide in his favourite hiding spots, but has more or less come to terms with sleeping on the footstool in full view of me instead.

He wants to purr and have tickles, and to rub his head against leather things, but purring makes him splutter and have problems breathing. Poor little bugger. He certainly has no problems eating though :oops:

Have no fear, High Voltage - once this is all over I'll be demanding some quality lap time.

Of all the things he's had wrong with him over the past few years, every single thing has been linked back to his thyroid. Even when he had his teeth out, all the hullabaloo about why he was so ill during it ended up being because his hormone levels had shot up to crazy amounts unexpectedly. I wonder if this wasn't the onset of his thyroid starting on a growth spurt. We had him on a higher dose of felimazole for a while until he stabilised, and then about 3 months ago or so he dropped back to the normal lower dose, and that's when he developed bad dandruff. I knew something was wrong, but all the blood tests and physical exams showed nothing. He'd been having little hiccups after purring hard every now and again for a couple of months by that point, and over the past few months his purrs had changed, sounding louder, looser, and more 'open' or rattly. It was clear something was happening, and I always brought it up with Ted, who couldn't see anything. Even his xrays of his throat area from a couple or so weeks ago showed nothing out of the ordinary. It seems so obvious when you look back and add everything up now though. Ted told me to not blame myself for not having the thyroid out earlier, he wouldn't advise it generally anyway. He said he'd been kicking himself all morning (yesterday) wondering if there had been any way he could have spotted it earlier either. Really it's the fact it's been allowed to grow so large that will cause the problems now. So both of us feel guilty, and maybe there is more both of us could have done, but hindsight is a cunt and I'm trying very hard to just look forward now, to what we can do and how best to make him feel comfortable, at least.

And who knows, maybe they can remove it, and maybe that'll be the end of it (until a tumour grows on his other thyroid, which is very common when you remove the first).

Silly stupid monkey, making me love him so much :mad:

I phoned the RSPCA about the pissing cat today. We think he's still coming in - through the upstairs bathroom window that we'd left open for our cats because we've locked the catflap - which demonstrates an unexpected level of committment to pissing in other cats' houses. RSPCA said they can't intervene in a case of neglect unless I know the address of the owner. His eyes look really runny now.

RSPCA suggested taking him to the vet to check for a chip because then it would become the vet's responsibility have to liaise with the owners and they may be able to offer a subsidised neutering (if that's what's preventing the animal being neutered).

Vintage Paw - good grief, no need whatsoever to apologise for posting, we're all on this thread because we love our cats, we understand what you are going through, and we all want to hear news about Charlie.

Whatever has gone on with him, it is not your fault whatsoever - thyroid cancer (if it does turn out to be that, and the odds are still against it being that) is extremely rare and you couldn't have made a decision based on that outcome when he was first diagnosed with hyperthyroid, I suspect that you'd have looked at the statistics for thyroid cancer in cats vs. surgery risk stats and would have made the exact same decision.

You have a very caring, and more importantly, a very competent vet on the case, Charlie also gets the best care from you, I know it is difficult, but you really don't deserve to beat yourself up about anything to do with his care or treatment options.

Now with regard to his stitches, if he bothers them a lot, try an inflatable collar rather than a hard cone, my Jakey found that much easier to accept, it is also easier to remove and replace.

Vintage Paw - good grief, no need whatsoever to apologise for posting, we're all on this thread because we love our cats, we understand what you are going through, and we all want to hear news about Charlie.

Whatever has gone on with him, it is not your fault whatsoever - thyroid cancer (if it does turn out to be that, and the odds are still against it being that) is extremely rare and you couldn't have made a decision based on that outcome when he was first diagnosed with hyperthyroid, I suspect that you'd have looked at the statistics for thyroid cancer in cats vs. surgery risk stats and would have made the exact same decision.

You have a very caring, and more importantly, a very competent vet on the case, Charlie also gets the best care from you, I know it is difficult, but you really don't deserve to beat yourself up about anything to do with his care or treatment options.

Now with regard to his stitches, if he bothers them a lot, try an inflatable collar rather than a hard cone, my Jakey found that much easier to accept, it is also easier to remove and replace.

Thank you. I know you're right. Difficult to keep that perspective in the moment though, I suppose.

I called the vet to get clarification on what's going on with the stitches. They stay in for 10 days, then they take them out. He can't lick them during that time in case he pulls them out. So far, when he goes to that area, he seems more interested in giving the surrounding fur a good clean, so I'm 'supervising' and nudging him away if he gets too close. He doesn't appear to be particularly bothered by them, which is a good thing. Haven't tried the cone of shame yet, but I'll keep in mind an inflatable one if needs be -- I didn't know they existed, thank you for that Epona.

He's been enjoying the sun today, streaming in through the front window onto the footstool. He's also had some miserable hiccups/breathing problems. All I can do is cross my fingers and hope beyond hope that it isn't growing even more while we wait for the appointment next week.

He woke up earlier and immediately asked to come and sit on my knee. He doesn't do that much anymore because the purring sets him off. But he purred, I stroked him for a couple of minutes, and he went back to the footstool and went back to sleep. I told him thank you, I really needed that. Then I napped next to him for a while.

FINALLY!!

Just had extended strokes on Clive - after a token bribe with a Dreamy or 2 - he was up on the sofa, front legs on my left thigh, eating Dreamies I was placing on my right thigh - so at 90° to me - then, after a few of the normal "stolen" strokes, he decided that it would be much more comfy for him to lie down on the sofa and put the remaining weight onto ME - and I'm still stroking his back and neck - got in some head and ear itches as well

He's got the most amazingly soft fur - I hope that this is a bit of a break through as he's got the potential to be the most lovely cat

Now all we've got to hope sorts itself out is the relationship FiFs has with the 2 boys and we're onto a winner

FINALLY!!

Just had extended strokes on Clive - after a token bribe with a Dreamy or 2 - he was up on the sofa, front legs on my left thigh, eating Dreamies I was placing on my right thigh - so at 90° to me - then, after a few of the normal "stolen" strokes, he decided that it would be much more comfy for him to lie down on the sofa and put the remaining weight onto ME - and I'm still stroking his back and neck - got in some head and ear itches as well

He's got the most amazingly soft fur - I hope that this is a bit of a break through as he's got the potential to be the most lovely cat

Now all we've got to hope sorts itself out is the relationship FiFs has with the 2 boys and we're onto a winner

: purr :

I don't actually think, or rather, I couldn't hear any purring going on - if you ask Mrs Voltz that actually means nothing as I'm officially deef (sic)

And we had a follow up home visit from the sanctuary where we got FiFi from and we've had a clean bill of health

I don't actually think, or rather, I couldn't hear any purring going on - if you ask Mrs Voltz that actually means nothing as I'm officially deef (sic)

And we had a follow up home visit from the sanctuary where we got FiFi from and we've had a clean bill of health

you will know when you get under the neck, cause you can feel. one of the cats my mother stole, never heard a purr cause it was so quiet, but i could feel him rumbling when i got under his neck

Thank you. I know you're right. Difficult to keep that perspective in the moment though, I suppose.

I called the vet to get clarification on what's going on with the stitches. They stay in for 10 days, then they take them out. He can't lick them during that time in case he pulls them out. So far, when he goes to that area, he seems more interested in giving the surrounding fur a good clean, so I'm 'supervising' and nudging him away if he gets too close. He doesn't appear to be particularly bothered by them, which is a good thing. Haven't tried the cone of shame yet, but I'll keep in mind an inflatable one if needs be -- I didn't know they existed, thank you for that Epona.

He's been enjoying the sun today, streaming in through the front window onto the footstool. He's also had some miserable hiccups/breathing problems. All I can do is cross my fingers and hope beyond hope that it isn't growing even more while we wait for the appointment next week.

He woke up earlier and immediately asked to come and sit on my knee. He doesn't do that much anymore because the purring sets him off. But he purred, I stroked him for a couple of minutes, and he went back to the footstool and went back to sleep. I told him thank you, I really needed that. Then I napped next to him for a while.
If you do end up using an inflatable, just bear in mind that whilst they are easier for cats to get used to because they don't obstruct peripheral vision (especially since some cats are frightened by that), because of their ring doughnut shape they can restrict forward movement of the front legs which can take a couple of days for them to get used to - first couple of days for Jakey I had to help him up and down from the sofa and into the litter tray etc. - but he did get used to it OK and didn't get frightened, he's terrified of the plastic cone bless him, so it was a better option for him. He had to wear it for 2 weeks, but that was after major surgery with a lot of stitches holding his abdomen together - it would have been disastrous if he had pulled any out - usually 7 days is sufficient.

I wonder what the case is going to be if they are able to remove the thyroid. He'll have stitches, but they'll be on his neck. Surely a cone/ring/whatever will irritate them and wouldn't be very effective anyway, and yet his tongue can reach his throat when he's having a good wash. I suppose he can't bite at them, although he can scratch. Maybe he'll have dressings that will need to be changed. Oh gawd. Their website says they keep pets in until they're certain they are in the best position to go home, so maybe - especially considering I live 25 miles away (£60 taxi round trip) - they'll keep him until things settle down enough and he gets used to his wound?

So many things to ask next Tuesday.

I wonder what the case is going to be if they are able to remove the thyroid. He'll have stitches, but they'll be on his neck. Surely a cone/ring/whatever will irritate them and wouldn't be very effective anyway, and yet his tongue can reach his throat when he's having a good wash. I suppose he can't bite at them, although he can scratch. Maybe he'll have dressings that will need to be changed. Oh gawd. Their website says they keep pets in until they're certain they are in the best position to go home, so maybe - especially considering I live 25 miles away (£60 taxi round trip) - they'll keep him until things settle down enough and he gets used to his wound?

So many things to ask next Tuesday.

I was wondering about that tbh, obs you can't have a collar or cone of any description if it is going to be directly over any surgery incision. Yet cats are ridiculously flexible and can lick and scratch pretty much everywhere. :confused:

If I were you I'd write it down on whatever piece of paper I end up taking to the vet with questions like this on - I always do that because there's no way I'd remember everything I wanted to ask otherwise.

Radar caught a mouse today, I heard a lot of noise from the bedroom (that 'herd of elephants' type thundering around that our supposedly graceful feline friends are so fond of making) and found him with a half dead youngish looking mouse. Got the OH to deal with it, he thought the mouse was dead and screamed when it twitched.

Half-dead rodents are an upsetting thing to have to deal with, but we got Radar in the first place because we needed a mouser (also we like cats and like having pets of course!) and he's just doing his job. He's bloody good at it too, Sonic on the other hand is a useless mouser. I have seen him vaguely wake up from a nap just enough to half open one eye and lazily watch a mouse run past him no more than a foot away - and then go back to sleep. :facepalm:

Radar caught a mouse today, I heard a lot of noise from the bedroom (that 'herd of elephants' type thundering around that our supposedly graceful feline friends are so fond of making) and found him with a half dead youngish looking mouse. Got the OH to deal with it, he thought the mouse was dead and screamed when it twitched.

Half-dead rodents are an upsetting thing to have to deal with, but we got Radar in the first place because we needed a mouser (also we like cats and like having pets of course!) and he's just doing his job. He's bloody good at it too, Sonic on the other hand is a useless mouser. I have seen him vaguely wake up from a nap just enough to half open one eye and lazily watch a mouse run past him no more than a foot away - and then go back to sleep. :facepalm:

oh yes.

it's not the dead ones, or even the nauseating crunch if they eat them. it's the dealing with the mortally wounded but not yet dead ones that is the worst. thankfully, ours rarely produces gifts and even rarer live ones.

We had a mouse last night too. We average a few a year, which with two cats shows how crap they are at hunting, thankfully. I think it got away and is now hiding somewhere, probably in the kitchen. :facepalm:

oh yes.

it's not the dead ones, or even the nauseating crunch if they eat them. it's the dealing with the mortally wounded but not yet dead ones that is the worst. thankfully, ours rarely produces gifts and even rarer live ones.

Indeed! Radar usually kills them pretty quickly, but I must have interrupted him when he first caught it as it was still vaguely in an alive state, but very badly wounded, there is no way it would have lived.

Jakey is also good at hunting, but he really messes with the poor things, I've chased him around a few times trying to get a mouse out of his jaws so that he doesn't torture it for ages. The main difference between Radar and Jakey in terms of hunting is that Radar is easily pushed away from his prey, whereas Jakey starts growling if approached - he's all mouth and no trousers, but it is an alarming sound!

The Great Litterbox Disaster !

Alfie has a roofed balcony litter box which he rarely uses but likes to sit on. At 5am I was woken up by the most almighty racket. Turns out the weather has worn out the roof over the years and this morning it collapsed under Alfie's weight who plummeted into the litter. Panic ensued, the cat was not amused.

Last edited:
<GULP!>

After a week of letting Clive out morning and evening and him coming back all safe and sound

The big day finally arrived where I let his brother, Casper out

The door and cat flap are now open and the 2 Chuckle brothers are now in and out and in and out and in . . . and out

FiFi is fast asleep up stairs on the bed blissfully unaware of what's going on

Alfie has a roofed balcony litter box which he rarely uses but likes to sit on. At 5am I was woken up by the most almighty racket. Turns out the weather has worn out the roof over the years and this morning it collapsed under Alfie's weight who plummeted into the litter. Panic ensued, the cat was not amused.

What you want is one of these

:eek:

Vastra has left us 2.5 mice in the last week. She also managed to get her paw stuck in the catflap this morning. We really hope she wasn't there long before we woke up - there's claw marks on the bottom of the door from her back legs scrabbling, poor thing.

Colin seems intent on murdering something every day, usually during the afternoon after his lunch and a nap (in the dogs' bed :( ). Voles, mice, pigeons usually. Have put collar with bells on him 3 times but he gets rid of them after a few days somehow, so that's a waste of time.

He's a lovely cat but he's a ruthless killer :( Don't know wtf to do

Short of keeping him in, and barring the bells trick, I think you have to accept it's part of what having a cat around means. They are killers. Some can't be arsed now they get everything they need from their humans, but others are still fully in tune with their instincts to hunt. You have to become zen with it. If you're particularly worried about a local population of something being wiped out by Colin, you have to balance the harm potential of letting him out or keeping him in. Your call, but we already have pets for pretty selfish reasons in the grand scheme of things -- maybe you just have to adjust your thinking on it if you can't change the cat's nature.

Killing and eating small things is a cat's job. If he's belled and fed, there's nothing more you can do twentythreedom except lock Colin in to an indoor existence for life. And whether or not you could do that depends on the cat's character as well as the owner's home - it just isn't always possible, no matter what the ethical/deep eco thinking is. (This is perhaps the most divisive issue on Urban, seriously.) Luckily the ecosystem won't miss a few voles, mice and pigeons, but it's crap (as well as upsetting for you) if his murder victims also include smaller, rarer birds.

perhaps posting a more up to date picture of him would help :p

He did kill a woodpecker a while back :(

He is a young ex-stray rescue cat, and he has got a wildlife-friendly garden as his personal murderspace, and we certainly won't keep him indoors for eternity, so there will be more victims.

He's such a bloody charmer though :oops::) He's started tormenting the dogs by conspicuously sprawling all over their beds just because he can

He's a cunning murderous git but he's our lovely furry funny cunning murderous git and we love him :oops::D

11223795_10207243346105985_7118080371134347284_n.jpg

We were away for the weekend. As soon as we got back Vincent clung onto wolfie in case he went of again :D

Charlie goes for his referral consultation today. Taxi booked for 4.45, in case there's traffic on the M6. We'll probably be there far too early, but better that than late.

No food since 10am, since diagnostic stuff might likely be done tonight. He's started getting antsy for food. It's shit that we have to torture them like this right before taking them to a place they hate, to get really awful things done to them while we abandon them all on their own as if we don't love them, and we can't tell them why we're doing it.

On the plus side, him being hungry means he's purring at me. Which also results in hiccups, and farts for some reason. Oof.

He's been really good with his leg stitches. He's only gone near them a few times, and mostly just to wash the fur nearby. They're due to come out on Thursday, so I'm hoping they'll be able to do that at the referral vets -- if he's having surgery he'll likely still be there then. I really don't want to have to be carting him back to my normal vet if he comes home on Weds. But of course, if they decide they can't operate to remove the tumour, he may well be coming home on Weds anyway. Maybe they'll remove the stitches Weds, a day early. idk.

I've made a comprehensive set of notes, things to ask, things to tell, things to panic over.

I will, of course, update you every step of the way.

Back
Top Bottom