Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your daily cat and kitten news

Round 2 of Jakey's subcutaneous fluids successfully completed.
Don't panic, I'm not going to post about every time we do it, I've got a diary for his medications and treatments so I know what he's been given and when :)

But I am very proud of myself because today, despite my massive needle phobia (I once passed out while I was having bloods taken and often do a nervous vomiting thing before having vaccinations), I managed to inject him myself instead of controlling my breathing while N dealt with the needle part of the proceedings.

And then they stand in front of the closed door complaining that it's closed and you'll think she's nagging you to be let in so you'll open the door, and then she'll refuse to go in. Cats don't like shut doors.

Or she'll do it a third time and decide not to go into that room.

Another alternative is that she'll do it a third time, and a fourth time, and a fifth time, and so on, until she's trained you to put some kind of stopper in place, so the door doesn't close properly and she can use the room at will.
I'm not keen on closed doors myself so a door stop is probably the solution.

Round 2 of Jakey's subcutaneous fluids successfully completed.
Don't panic, I'm not going to post about every time we do it, I've got a diary for his medications and treatments so I know what he's been given and when :)

But I am very proud of myself because today, despite my massive needle phobia (I once passed out while I was having bloods taken and often do a nervous vomiting thing before having vaccinations), I managed to inject him myself instead of controlling my breathing while N dealt with the needle part of the proceedings.
I hated injecting my dog when he was with us. It took me ages to do it without wincing as the needle went in. I think it was more from not wanting to hurt him, but I also hated needles back then. Not so much these days.

Bob is being an absolute twat. He was sat on my lap for the past half hour, purring his little head off as I stroked him, but it always ends the same way, he's now walking around the table, knocking everything onto the floor. I can always tell when he's going to start doing this, as he starts reaching for my face, and gently padding it with outstretched claws, usually resulting in a loss of blood, then he goes into destructive mode.
Is this just a Bobism, or do other cats take the piss like this?

I hated injecting my dog when he was with us. It took me ages to do it without wincing as the needle went in. I think it was more from not wanting to hurt him, but I also hated needles back then. Not so much these days.
I don't know about dogs, but with cats it's the "pop" sensation as the needle pierces the loose skin - even when I'm just holding a cat while the vet does that sort of thing, I can still feel the "pop" and it makes me shudder a bit (not in a good way!)
Mind you our vet does vaccinations in the tip of the tail on calm cats these days (due to risk of injection site sarcoma - it's nigh on impossible to treat in the neck area, but amputating the tail tip to deal with it should it occur gives a lot better prognosis) and there's not a pop with that.

I don't know about dogs, but with cats it's the "pop" sensation as the needle pierces the loose skin - even when I'm just holding a cat while the vet does that sort of thing, I can still feel the "pop" and it makes me shudder a bit (not in a good way!)
Mind you our vet does vaccinations in the tip of the tail on calm cats these days (due to risk of injection site sarcoma - it's nigh on impossible to treat in the neck area, but amputating the tail tip to deal with it should it occur gives a lot better prognosis) and there's not a pop with that.
It's the same pop with dogs 😣

On the subject of cat odours, I've never had a really flatulent cat until recently - Jakey is on a low protein diet due to his kidney disease, and since he's been on it he farts like a trooper - and for some reason his farts smell of boiled cabbage.
I actually quite like boiled cabbage tbh so it's not even particularly unpleasant, it's just a bit odd to have that sort of very vegetabley smell emanating from a cat.

Also after 3 days in a row as an outpatient at the vet, he smelled very much like the head nurse, who absolutely loves him and I think spent a lot of time comforting him with cuddles - N referred to her as "Jakey's other woman" 🤣

The many smells of cats.

One of my cats smelled like clean cage bedding. Not hay, the sawdust kind, but not sawdust either.

Another smelled like clean linen, but only after the bed had been made in the morning and it was now time for bed. Not the scented stuff, just…. dunno, clean sheets at bedtime.

Not exactly like those things obviously but somehow reminiscent.

The Auld Warrior smelled of testosterone. Or sex. Not cat piss. Not juices. Just, kind of, like, he kinda smelled like the horn.

I can’t describe how Cat smells but I can recall it very clearly.
Lilith has a clean baby smell.

IMG_3296.jpeg

My friend has two cats - Ronnie and Reggie. I always forget which one is which, they’re both the same colour. One is bigger, than the other. One is friendlier than the other (but the less friendly one was happy to be stroked) - this is the friendly one. Called either Ronnie or Reggie.

We're getting quicker at doing Jakey's fluids, my hands have stopped shaking while I'm dealing with the needles - I prepare the syringes and butterflies, then pop him on my lap with a bowl of food next to me, he tucks in, I insert the needle and N operates the syringe while I hold the needle in place with 1 hand and Jakey still with the other. 2 syringes and the job is done in a few minutes. Jakey is very food-motivated so doesn't even notice now we're getting it done quickly, he's still face down in his bowl of food.

So if anyone else is faced with this decision with a friendly housecat that can be handled, I'd say at least give it a go - it's easy to do and it's improving his quality of life no end for just a few minutes effort 3 times a week - he's more alert, he's eating better, he's physically a bit stronger, his coat is back feeling soft and silky and gorgeous again instead of a bit rough - if we weren't doing it he'd be weak and tired and achy like a hangover type of feeling all the time. He seems to be back where he was a few months ago, in terms of energy and alertness, so it's well worth it.

I've finally got the smart cat flap working after some technical problems, or rather the company did remotely. It's slightly creepy that they can do that, and access all Carrie's data. Anyway.

It's quite enlightening. She hasn't actually been spending that much time outside. Every 4 hours or so she goes out for around 20 minutes or so, including overnight.

To be fair it's been quite cold since it started working. Perhaps a few weeks ago she was out all night dancing with the foxes.

What the actual point of this info is I don't know but there you go. My phone meows when she comes in which is quite cute but I expect I'll turn that off fairly quickly.

Wow, that sounds like a very smart cat flap!
Our microchip one is being absolutely hammered as they both whizz in and out about a million times during the day before it slams shut overnight, and it eats massive batteries. Good job they earn their keep in cuteness.

Back
Top Bottom