Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your best buys of the plague year

I went to decathlon a day late pre-lockdown and everything heavy had been cleaned out :(

I'm currently using a large brass doorstop in the shape of a horse in lieu of a kettlebell.

Couldn't work out whether to use the laugh, like, or sad emoticon. Maybe need a 'that's inventive' one. :thumbs:

An indoor bike smart trainer
A new commuter bike
A holiday in Cornwall with my kids

All had incredibly fortunate timing in that I could acquire them before everyone else seemingly decided to by one too and made everything sold out :cool:

A second hand Nintendo Switch off the bf's colleague. Just in time too, immediately before lockdown, as you couldn't buy them brand new for any money by the following week. I think they're back now though.

I have no idea what I used to do all evening before Animal Crossing, and Zelda, and Fitness Boxing. :D

Go out, I guess. 😕 Still, this is ace and has been loads of fun.

A second hand Nintendo Switch off the bf's colleague. Just in time too, immediately before lockdown, as you couldn't buy them brand new for any money by the following week. I think they're back now though.

I have no idea what I used to do all evening before Animal Crossing, and Zelda, and Fitness Boxing. :D

Yeah, without video games through this lockdown I'm not sure what I'd have done.
Possibly read a bunch of books and learned something...

During lockdown I just plugged my laptop into a big monitor and played loads of gamecube games on an emulator. I like to keep about two decades behind the pace with computer games, it makes everything much cheaper.

Last edited:
During lockdown I just plugged my laptop into a big monitor and played loads of gamecube games on an emulator. I like to keep about a two decades behind the pace with computer games, it makes everything much cheaper.
Nothing at all wrong with Gamecube; some ace games on there. I'm generally the same, so this has been a bit of an exception for me.

...as evidenced by the fact that as soon as the 2nd hand games shops opened I went in all excited, and was shocked to find the used games for my switch were FIFTY QUID and on the front shelf, rather than £3.50 in a box on the floor in a dusty corner at the back of the shop like I'm used to. :D

I bought two 2 meter strips of LEDs that can produce 24 different colors and strobe and various other things, controlled by remote, so the room that I'm stuck in all the time at least looks like a rave
A condenser microphone with a preamp which seems to be pure magic because my voice sounds clear and at the right volume no matter where I speak from.
An M.2 SSD for my computer. Damn that thing is fast.
Kind of too many drugs

Basically, all the equipment I need to stream on Twitch, babble inanely at anyone who will listen, and forget the real world exists.

...as evidenced by the fact that as soon as the 2nd hand games shops opened I went in all excited, and was shocked to find the used games for my switch were FIFTY QUID and on the front shelf, rather than £3.50 in a box on the floor in a dusty corner at the back of the shop like I'm used to. :D
I've gone to those places and found the games to be cheaper on amazon thaen at the second hand shop.
Perhaps you get some form of discount based on trading in games but I can't really understand why anyone would buy second hand when new is practically the same price.

I need brake pads for my bike and a new watch, but I can't have them delivered at work so it will have to be the local "mags, bags and fags" I wouldn't otherwise use.
Last time I went in there I quarantined myself more than usual afterwards.

I may be going slightly mad, but I'm considering splurging on a bike desk: Yo-Yo DESK BIKE

I'm basically going to be working at home another 6 months (and I think my job's safe for that long, though God knows about after), it seems to have good reviews including from people initially sceptical, and looks nicely designed. Plus it's quite small and I can see a discrete corner of the lounge it would work in, and my other half would use it as well.

I may be going slightly mad, but I'm considering splurging on a bike desk: Yo-Yo DESK BIKE

I'm basically going to be working at home another 6 months (and I think my job's safe for that long, though God knows about after), it seems to have good reviews including from people initially sceptical, and looks nicely designed. Plus it's quite small and I can see a discrete corner of the lounge it would work in, and my other half would use it as well.

A couple of years ago I splurged on a desk that goes up and down, so you can spend several hours a day standing and end up being a slim Jim in no time...it’s been raised twice.

Back
Top Bottom