Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Rural areas and plague tourists

Thing is though, if even 1 in 5 of the people where teuchter is decided to move over here my lovely peaceful little life would be destroyed, calamity and an ugly panic would engulf the nearest village, but if everyone within 5 miles of me moved to Loughborough junction you’d not really notice it, apart from maybe when they all try to get on the train.
You moved from LJ to a tiny village and I did the reverse. So you can thank me for cancelling out the impact of your community-destroying actions.

You moved from LJ to a tiny village and I did the reverse. So you can thank me for cancelling out the impact of your community-destroying actions.
My gentrifying work was complete there, the people here needed my help. But I’m not in a village, pristine isolation, or the illusion of it. I do miss takeaways, zest of India in particular.

Sowerby Bridge and beyond. I quite like it though. very much on the urban-rural fringe. About 500% more daylight than most of Tod.
our favourite place to eat in the world is in (well, just outside) Sowerby Bridge - I like it up there. It is noticeably less gloomy.

I dunno why rural dwellers in the 21st century western world, whose entire lifestyle is completely dependent not only on facilities and services that can only be provided in association with urbanisation, but also dependant on the vast majority of people wanting to live in urban areas, bang on so much about how much they despise the city-dwellers and the places that they live.

They may of course be about to be subject to a rude awakening post-plague if a large number of people decide they want to move to the "countryside".

What is it you eat again? Because if the answer is 'food' and that food comes from farms then you've got who is dependent on who completely arse backwards.

Some rural areas might have done better than some cities in terms of covid deaths, but they'll have been hit harder by lockdown. The kind of deprivation that comes from lack of access to services will have got far worse. For kids especially, plenty round here have had basically no education at all for months because their internet access is crap. And then they've got ghouls like teuchter chortling away about how thousands of Londoners could show up any minute and effectively eradicate their way of life.

What is it you eat again? Because if the answer is 'food' and that food comes from farms then you've got who is dependent on who completely arse backwards.
Tell me what proportion of the UK's rural population are actually engaged in agriculture in 2021.

I doubt you can substantiate that claim.

Poorest parts of the country are West Wales and Cornwall.

Tourism (although of dubious economic benefit when its impacts on cost of living are factored in) is undeniably a major employer in the South West, and one rife with the kind of jobs that don't involve the proper contracts you need to get furlough pay.

Last edited:
There are many rural areas of the UK which have not really suffered high levels of Covid, compared to the national average. Of course, it's understandable that if you lived in one of those areas, you would want to keep it that way. And when there are surges of infection its quite right that travel is restricted in the short term to try and contain them.

However, in the longer run, is there a point at which it simply becomes selfish for those in rural areas, popular with holidaymakers, to resent visitors from outside?

My feeling is that the countryside should be there for the benefit of everyone, not just the people that happen to live there. People in rural areas have probably had a better time of it in general through the various lockdowns, not just because of the lower levels of infection but because they have had the freedom to enjoy that open space that many in cities have been shut off from for months. The lower levels of infection in rural areas are not a product of the actions of people who live in them, they are simply the outcome of what happen to be fortunate living circumstances in the context of this particular disease.

If the posh bits of an urban area tried to close itself off from neighbouring, poorer areas with higher levels of infection, I don't think most people would see that as acceptable. Nor if parks were made available only to those living directly adjacent to them.

When we get into the summer I predict all sorts of arguments about this.
seaside Cornwall......hold my pint

Newquay corona bump 11% on property this year and houses and flat not even getting estate agent signs up before they are engulfed in bidding wars from cash rich incomers

Meanwhile nearby Camborne has I believe the school with the most pupil premium kids of any in the country.

E2a: That's anecdotal from my step sister who briefly worked there. Trying to find a source but I can well believe it.

Last edited:
Newquay corona bump 11% on property this year and houses and flat not even getting estate agent signs up before they are engulfed in bidding wars from cash rich incomers

I watched ten groups of viewings on a neighbours house in one afternoon and that didn’t include the drive by’s clogging the road. Someone bought it six months ago for 211,00 after the poor old fella topped himself. Had a lick of paint and on for 285,000

I can understand. But maybe the locals should give some thought to the fact that for them, sticking to the rules means a risk free country walk whenever they fancy, while for those in urban areas it means no nice country walks at all. And they should bear that privilege in mind, when it gets to the point that restrictions are eased, and those urban dwellers who have been sticking to the rules want to come and see some proper green space for the first time in several months.

Are you kidding? I live on a council estate and yes I can see fields, but can't drive to the beach which is 5 miles away or the mountains 10 miles away. Exercise begins and ends at home. Yet poor city dwellers can come here and go whatever they want? Give me strength.

Are you kidding? I live on a council estate and yes I can see fields, but can't drive to the beach which is 5 miles away or the mountains 10 miles away. Exercise begins and ends at home. Yet poor city dwellers can come here and go whatever they want? Give me strength.
The thread is about rural areas which are popular with tourists and visitors. I'm saying that post lockdown, people who haven't had access to open, attractive outdoors space should be allowed to go there and enjoy it, taking reasonable mitigation measures and behaving responsibly, without the people who live there and have been able to enjoy those kinds of spaces throughout lockdown complaining about them. From what you say, it sounds like you are in the category of people who haven't had access. So I am saying that post lockdown, you should be able to go and enjoy that beach or those mountains, without people living in those places resenting you. Do you disagree?

Back
Top Bottom