Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Rural areas and plague tourists

Build a wall, and make London pay!

Normally I would take the view that there's enough to be shared as long as everyone thinks a bit, has consideration for others, as is prepared to change their plans if necessary - see Supine's post - but in this case all you dirty city dwellers can just fuck off and keep to your filthy plague pits.
If it wasn't for all you bat-fucking yokels, this plague would have never happened.

It's funny, though, how some people want it all their own way. They want the bright lights and the money of the metropolis, yet they can't wait to spread their germs to the 'yokels'.
Build that wall...

Well, absolutely. There are difficulties associated with living and working in a rural environment, but we often told to suck it up by our friends in more urban areas. it turns out however - to the surprise of absolutely no one who has ever read about plague outbreaks ever - that there are disadvantages to living an a stone box with 9 million other people when plague comes to town.

There are issues to be discussed about the provision of open spaces - and more seriously, the fetishisation of city living - but this cunt can suck diesel fumes. The cunt.

I think I’ll need to live out here for quite a few more years before I can join in with hating those London people. But how many, is 5 enough or does it have to be decades before I’m not one of them anymore idk.
In truth I’ve felt so lucky about making this move before the plague came that so far I don’t resent the visitors, apart from when they double park all over my forest.

I’m not rural but I live in a massively popular holiday destination. I generally welcome tourists but got a bit of stick early last summer because I genuinely did want them all to fuck off. It’s because the behaviour was so shitty though, mess, fighting, parking anywhere, blocking emergency services access and crowding into rural places in unsafe numbers.
It was horrible, the atmosphere was lairy and lots of people didn’t feel safe or comfortable using local parks and beaches.
We just weren’t ready for it.

So by all means visit but don’t be an arsehole. clean up after yourselves; don’t shit all over the beach and in people’s gardens and if there’s nowhere to park, go somewhere quieter and don’t dump your car on a verge/roundabout/someone’s driveway.

Lots of people in the nearest tourist destination to me (Hebden Bridge) are getting increasingly sniffy about there being people in the town square Not From Here (how they can tell I'm not particularly sure) and posting appeals on FB for everyone to leave the town alone for those that live there which makes me feel really angry, because I've never been able to afford to live there, but I consider the town and wider walking trails etc to be 'mine' as much as the one I live in five miles away. I suspect they don't even consider they shouldn't be driving over here to visit Lidl.

I dunno why rural dwellers in the 21st century western world, whose entire lifestyle is completely dependent not only on facilities and services that can only be provided in association with urbanisation, but also dependant on the vast majority of people wanting to live in urban areas, bang on so much about how much they despise the city-dwellers and the places that they live.

They may of course be about to be subject to a rude awakening post-plague if a large number of people decide they want to move to the "countryside".

I do wonder what impact this is all going to have on house prices in the countryside and on the coast.

Perhaps it will prompt more house building in rural areas instead of trying to squeeze more people into tiny urban brownfield sites which ought to be turned into parks.

Screenshot 2021-02-25 at 14.09.37.jpg

If just one in 5 urban dwellers decided to move to the countryside, then there'd be twice as many people wanting to live in the same space, in those country areas. Twice as many cars on the country roads, twice as many people wanting country GP appointments, etc etc.

The problem is when they break the rules to come here, which happens a lot. You can understand why locals sticking to the rules would be absolutely furious.
I can understand. But maybe the locals should give some thought to the fact that for them, sticking to the rules means a risk free country walk whenever they fancy, while for those in urban areas it means no nice country walks at all. And they should bear that privilege in mind, when it gets to the point that restrictions are eased, and those urban dwellers who have been sticking to the rules want to come and see some proper green space for the first time in several months.

I can understand. But maybe the locals should give some thought to the fact that for them, sticking to the rules means a risk free country walk whenever they fancy, while for those in urban areas it means no nice country walks at all. And they should bear that privilege in mind, when it gets to the point that restrictions are eased, and those urban dwellers who have been sticking to the rules want to come and see some proper green space for the first time in several months.
Buy a treadmill and paint your bedroom walls green.

Lots of people in the nearest tourist destination to me (Hebden Bridge) are getting increasingly sniffy about there being people in the town square Not From Here (how they can tell I'm not particularly sure) and posting appeals on FB for everyone to leave the town alone for those that live there which makes me feel really angry, because I've never been able to afford to live there, but I consider the town and wider walking trails etc to be 'mine' as much as the one I live in five miles away. I suspect they don't even consider they shouldn't be driving over here to visit Lidl.
Tod is way better than Hebden anyway, you've got the better part of the deal

Should have thought a bit harder about that when crowing about all the takeaways you've got access to then, shouldn't you?

Make. Bed. Lie.

Well next time i visit London for some clubbing or a show I'll make sure i shit everywhere and leave my rubbish. If it's ok for you city types on country visits :D

Thing is though, if even 1 in 5 of the people where teuchter is decided to move over here my lovely peaceful little life would be destroyed, calamity and an ugly panic would engulf the nearest village, but if everyone within 5 miles of me moved to Loughborough junction you’d not really notice it, apart from maybe when they all try to get on the train.

Back
Top Bottom