Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your best buys of the plague year

Cloo

Approved by toads
So, what purchases have served you well so far?

My top buy has definitely been stupidly expensive Mahabi slippers - my feet get cold easily, so I need something on them, and I've basically lived in the buggers as they are ridiculously comfy and you can even nip down to the corner shop on them without feeling daft.

Subscription to Down Dog yoga app also got more than its moneysworth.

Huge comfy leather office chair I bought secondhand for about £5 or £10 or something the weekend lockdown began. I also bought an old double school desk, a laptop riser, and a wireless keyboard and mouse. Was an expensive week but I’m so glad to have had a comfy setup for home working.
I bought a bulk box of instant ramen... not exciting but solved the daytime lunch thing.
Also got very good use from a couple of long hippy frocks I bought early on.

Not my buy, Yossarian bought a projector early in lockdown, and we have enjoyed many movies on our very own big screen 🙂
I have a projector, there's something great about having your own home cinema, isn't there? Beer, pizza, and a good film...

I bought a pasta maker. I would use it more but it's too hot for pasta just now. It is great for making both pasta and udon noodles.

Just before lockdown struck I bought a house. Its bigger and nicer than the house I was renting. And its got a swimming pool. :D (I'm in Oz so that isn't as flash as it sounds :D). We were only locked down for a couple of months and I was able to WFH and have a lunchtime swim, it made lockdown like being on holiday!

Footner foot peel - I can't believe I put up with terrible cracked feet for so many years - it still took a week of twice daily soaking and filing though - but not so irksome as I was stuck at home anyway and it gave me an excuse to watch "Bondi Rescue" yet again and perhaps wet feet were appropriate ...

100 “medical” face masks for a tenner. I think they’re probably shit and I don’t reckon face masks do much to stop transmissions but they should be enough to stop other people freaking out in shops and queues.

A new combi boiler, replacing a dodgy one, which means I don’t need to worry about having no heating during a second wave this winter.
I am currently waiting for a quote to fit me a new combi boiler, we are spending the money we were going to use for a trip abroad.
The current boiler is now twenty years old and parts are non existent, plus I cannot risk a winter with no heating as well.

I am currently waiting for a quote to fit me a new combi boiler, we are spending the money we were going to use for a trip abroad.
The current boiler is now twenty years old and parts are non existent, plus I cannot risk a winter with no heating as well.
if youre in the UK , perhaps wait for the incoming green grant from the govt that will give you up to 5 grand to assist with making your home more energy efficient (I think the web site for applications opens in Sept ) , iirc it will cover up to 2/3 of the cost. This is what Im doing as just been told I need a whole new central heating system which is gonna be about 5k

if youre in the UK , perhaps wait for the incoming green grant from the govt that will give you up to 5 grand to assist with making your home more energy efficient (I think the web site for applications opens in Sept ) , iirc it will cover up to 2/3 of the cost. This is what Im doing as just been told I need a whole new central heating system which is gonna be about 5k
Thanks for this, I had assumed it was for people in older houses that required heating systems, double glazing and insulation fitted/replaced.

Pretty sure it won't cover boilers

e2a: "The Treasury says the vouchers can pay for 'green improvements such as loft, wall and floor insulation', while Business Secretary Alok Sharma has indicated that double-glazing will also be included. The Government hasn't yet given a complete list, so other improvements may also be covered – though MSE founder Martin Lewis has had a tip-off that it's unlikely new boilers will be included. We'll update this story when we have full info."

The audio set up for my PC is a real contender.

Got a decent mic, an audio IO device and two studio monitors.
I can now record good audio and blast some bass with clarity.

The fridge and microwave for my room are also nice.

Back
Top Bottom