Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Yes or No -AV referendum May 2011

Actually, I shall call you Peter. Now come with me and you will be a fisher of men.

And let's say for the sake of arguement that you're right A8 and that the tories are deserpate for this no vote. Won't the idea of people voting against it just fuck up the coalition and drive a wedge between the lib-dems and the tories? If the lib-dems walk out of the coalition then that won't help the tories at all will it? Just make them look weak and hopeless.

http://conservativehome.blogs.com/thetorydiary/2011/03/a-no-vote-in-the-av-referendum-will-be-greeted-as-a-triumph-for-david-cameron.html?cid=6a00d83451b31c69e20147e3128ff6970b
Tories would think Cameron had triumphed - the LDs won't jump out of the coalition they will limp on out of sheer fright at the idea of an election.

Right so let me get this straight - you think that AV will ensure the Tories won't have a majority and yet at the same time won't give the LibDems the power to decide the next government (ignoring the fact that your own link claims the opposite)?
You going to answer this a8?

Why are you excluding possibiity of a majority Labour government - entirely possible under AV
I'm not, I don't think AV will alter anything really, IMO we'll see swings between Tory and Labour governments jsut as we do under the current system.

I'm just trying to work out on what basis you think AV will stop the Tories getting a majority but will give a majority to Labour.
Also Labour can already achieve a majority under FPTP so AV obviously doesn't have any to offer from that point.

Why do you thing the Tories are making that judgement? Obviously because they fear that they will suffer from the net effect of votes transferring (don't forget Tories are disproportionately likely not to use any more than 1 preference). And that will offset the damage from the boundry redraw - meaning the hurdle Labour has to jump in order to govern outright is lower than it otherwise would be with FPTP.

Are you now a member of Compass?

I have my own criticisms of Compass - but not for the reasons that have left some to leave recently. The problem is not with their pluralism and opening out per se, it is with the soft socical democratic politics on which it appealing to people outside Labour. I do find Compass more interesting than any other group in the Labour party at present, but most certainly not without its flaws.

I have my own criticisms of Compass - but not for the reasons that have left some to leave recently. The problem is not with their pluralism and opening out per se, it is with the soft socical democratic politics on which it appealing to people outside Labour. I do find Compass more interesting than any other group in the Labour party at present, but most certainly not without its flaws.

So is that a yes or a no?

Who are you - McCarthy?

sebastion2500_15393t.jpg

Back
Top Bottom