Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Yes or No -AV referendum May 2011

Nothing in the above detracts from my point that they are both systems based on the transferring of preferences - which was the point I was making.

Warsi is basically regarded as a bit of a loon within the party tho no? at least thats the impression i got.

Warsi is basically regarded as a bit of a loon within the party tho no? at least thats the impression i got.

She is Co-Chairman - she is putting forward the priority of the national party and trying to get activists fired up to get the vote out for a No. You might think you're punishing Clegg by voting no, but you'll be delighting 99% of Tories in the country.

I dunno, her stuff criticising islamophobia (and by extension punishing cameron for saying it) didn't go down too well among the tory activists did it? not saying that she's anything other than a tory wankstain tho.

She is Co-Chairman - she is putting forward the priority of the national party and trying to get activists fired up to get the vote out for a No. You might think you're punishing Clegg by voting no, but you'll be delighting 99% of Tories in the country.

Is that to distinguish themselves from the Lib Dems tho because of personal differences/backstabbing etc or out of genuine conviction?

I think it's coming from the (majority) faction who want the Tories to govern with a majority and not compromise on their anti-European agenda, hang em flog em stuff etc.

Yes but it also more complex than that - It's a long discussion probably best done in another thread. More than happy to engage there. Labour will reap the benefits from public opposition to the coalitions' unpopularity to a very large extent.

Like these tories benefited from labour's unpopularity.

I think it's coming from the (majority) faction who want the Tories to govern with a majority and not compromise on their anti-European agenda, hang em flog em stuff etc.

Fair enough, but is Warsi representative of this lot - the hard(er)-right lot?

The Tories don't support it *for good reason* - it will reduce the chances of them ever forming a majority government ever again (remember the miners, the poll tax etc.?)

The LDs will get - and deserve to get - a hammering in the locals just as they got a hammering in Barnsley. But giving Clegg a slap is not worth strengthening the Tories and Cameron. Particularly when AV would free supporters of Greens, lefts and anti-cuts candidates to show their real 1st preferences rather than back Labour as the least worst option.

The Tories don't support it *for good reason* - it will reduce the chances of them ever forming a majority government ever again (remember the miners, the poll tax etc.?)
You fucking liar - I've repeatedly presented evidence that this isn't true and yet you keep claiming this crap. Even produce some evidence or shut the fuck up.

so what?

Av is like getting a kick in the bollocks and given a sweet to ease the pain.Pr it is not ,Clegg as been well and truely short changed

You fucking liar - I've repeatedly presented evidence that this isn't true and yet you keep claiming this crap. Even produce some evidence or shut the fuck up.

you've done nothing of the sort - you've said it would still be possible for the Tories to get a majority. I agree but the chances will be significantly reduced.

Tories certainly worries about this:
But right now the biggest worry on every Tory MPs lips is the alternative vote referendum in May.... a change in the voting system, a change that one senior Tory MP told me would be like a dagger to the heart of the Conservative party. "It would never hold power outright again," he said.

http://www.channel4.com/news/backbench-dissent-threatens-camerons-coalition

There was enough dissent in the SP to make for some debate at their conference I hear - even if the wrong call was made.

And why is my profession relevant where your's isn't. Come to that, Butchers - how do you earn a crust?

Back
Top Bottom