Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Yes/No to AV - Urban Votes

You will vote.....

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Indeed - but then again I'm hardly the first person who's indulged in speculation here am I?
What speculation? AV is a step back, not a step forward: It is less fair and less proportional, and funnels votes to the big parties. If you support PR, you certainly should not vote for AV.

Jenkins Commission verdict on AV: http://www.archive.official-documents.co.uk/document/cm40/4090/chap-5.htm#c5-a
Report on AV in Australia: http://aceproject.org/ace-en/topics/es/esy/esy_au

What next - an article from the BNP's "Voice Of Freedom" paper saying "No to AV"?

"IF YOU VOTE NO TO AV, THEN YOU ARE A NAZI"

Well done the lib-dems and progressive mugs around them - you've given us new boundaries that substantially benefit the tories for your shit sell out give us power don't care how of PR.

Let's hope you lot are right and a NO vote does somehow bring down the coalition. And I promise not to bring it up if you've gone and lumbered us with 20 more years of the fucking Tories.

A Yes vote would give the Lib Dems a few more seats, who'd then want to cosy up to - The Tories, thus giving us more of the same were getting now. the Lib Dems are not a progressive party - they are neo-liberalist to the core. We'd more than likely end up with 20 more years of the Tories under AV too.

I voted 'Yes' to AV, and 'No' for my second choice

(Or have we already had that one?)

:rolleyes:

I have to confess it went through my mind that the voting would be different this time - the polling staff certainly assumed I wouldn't be able to cope with two papers and two boxes - though they have to assume at least some voters will be illiterate.

except the evidence backs up the 'no' camp much more strongly

But there isn't, and cannot be, any evidence that voting 'No' will speed the introduction of a proper PR system. According to the polls I've seen nearly all Conservative voters will be voting 'no', and voting 'no' not because they really want PR but because they actively want to keep FPTP as it is. Given the fact that most of the media is Conservative friendly and have no desire to change things at all, then this will be the only story that comes through.

But there isn't, and cannot be, any evidence that voting 'No' will speed the introduction of a proper PR system. According to the polls I've seen nearly all Conservative voters will be voting 'no', and voting 'no' not because they really want PR but because they actively want to keep FPTP as it is. Given the fact that most of the media is Conservative friendly and have no desire to change things at all, then this will be the only story that comes through.

Who has argued that a NO vote will speed PR?

Just been to vote in Hackney, the people working at the polling station looked more bored than usual, spoke to them, it had been really slow all day. There aren't any local elections in London, so I'm guessing the London turnout might well be pretty low (or maybe just low in Hackney)

The missus just went. So quiet they were all reading books. And she didn't vote for the Tory because she knows him, and he's a prick!

C4 Factcheck tweeted a very low turnout 2 hours in elsewhere. But other reports are saying that polling stations are rammed.

We need data:

- rammed or deserted?
- Tory/Labour/Lib Dem type area?
- council elections too, or just the referendum?

I have just voted (No, of course).

There was a surprise in store for me for the local election though -- there were only two candidates! The incumbent Liberal and a Tory that lives in the village.

So much for AV; what fucking difference can it make when I only have a choice between a Liberal and a Tory in any case?

Just been to vote in Hackney, the people working at the polling station looked more bored than usual, spoke to them, it had been really slow all day. There aren't any local elections in London, so I'm guessing the London turnout might well be pretty low (or maybe just low in Hackney)

Same in Newham earlier.

I have just voted (No, of course).

There was a surprise in store for me for the local election though -- there were only two candidates! The incumbent Liberal and a Tory that lives in the village.

So much for AV; what fucking difference can it make when I only have a choice between a Liberal and a Tory in any case?
well, what else should one expect of rural surrey? You do sleep with the enemy, in a manner of speaking (or at least camp out in their living room)

saw a busy one in corby around 5 30. Our station was empty when I went around 6. Willaim Knibb is a tiny ward though irrc and it was teatime.

Back
Top Bottom