Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Wisconsin governor to end ALL collective bargaining rights for state workers.

Brilliant stuff:

"PDATE: Stranded Wind over at DailyKos has photos of the protest outside M&I, and says the ante has been upped to $600,000! 'What these pictures show are six hundred ordinary citizens descending on the M&I branch near the Wisconsin Capitol after learning of their purchase of the gubernatorial election last November. Two firefighters with old school ideas about saving had over $600,000 between the two of them and they demanded cashier's checks on the spot.' "

The 100 Best Protest Signs At The Wisconsin Capitol.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/the-best-protest-signs-at-the-wisconsin-capitol

enhanced-buzz-10468-1298296979-1.jpg

http://www.facebook.com/thinkprogress?sk=app_4949752878

This may be missed with everything going on in Japan. A judge has blocked the law from taking effect:

MADISON, Wis. — A Wisconsin judge issued a temporary restraining order Friday blocking the state's new and contentious collective bargaining law from taking effect, a measure that drew tens of thousands of protesters to the state Capitol and sent some Democrats fleeing to Illinois in an attempt to block a vote on it.

The judge's order is a major setback for new Republican Gov. Scott Walker and puts the future of the law in question.

Dane County Judge Maryann Sumi issued the order, which was requested by that county's District Attorney Ismael Ozanne, a Democrat. Ozanne filed a lawsuit contending that a legislative committee that broke a stalemate that had kept the law in limbo for weeks met without the 24-hour notice required by Wisconsin's open meetings law. The Republican-controlled Legislature passed the measure and Walker signed it last week.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/top/all/7478065.html

This may be missed with everything going on in Japan. A judge has blocked the law from taking effect:

It's an insignificant ruling. The state legislature can comply with it by simply giving adequate notice and then holding a second vote. It will pass by the same margin. In other words, the deed is done and now it's just a matter of tidying up the trivial parliamentary formalities. It will only be undone when the Democrats manage to retake control of Wisconsin in some future election.

Freedom of speech is the freedom to speak freely without censorship.

The right to strike is just that -> a right.

I believe you have a disconnect here. The right to strike stems from the combination of freedom of speech and freedom of assembly and association (at least in the US).

I believe you have a disconnect here. The right to strike stems from the combination of freedom of speech and freedom of assembly and association (at least in the US).

ok.... so if you have the freedom of speech and the freedom of association, then you automatically have the right to strike?

and denying some unions the right to strike (as some are in Canada), then you no longer have these freedoms?

Sorry, I don't see how being denied the right to strike is denying free speech.

ok.... so if you have the freedom of speech and the freedom of association, then you automatically have the right to strike?

and denying some unions the right to strike (as some are in Canada), then you no longer have these freedoms?

Sorry, I don't see how being denied the right to strike is denying free speech.

It is the right to political expression.

There are times that removing the right to strike meant that they had their freedom of speech revoked. I am sooooo sick of hearing all the adverts/propaganda from the civil servants each time their contract comes up.

The personal is political. :)

So when they go on strike for more pay or a new microwave in the kitchen, it's really a protest against the government?

It isn't Joe Blow's fault that they are underpaid and have a broken microwave, it's the governments?

In that case, shouldn't the workers be lobbying the government for better pay and working conditions?

Back
Top Bottom