Scottish independence?

• Yes please

Votes: 99 56.6%
  • No thanks

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Dont know yet

Votes: 17 9.7%

• Total voters
Here's a question which I hope gets answered at some point before the vote: one of the complaints of the independence movement is that too much is devoted to London and the South-East; how will an independent Scotland prevent a similar swamping by the Edinburgh-Glasgow corridor?

Here's a question which I hope gets answered at some point before the vote: one of the complaints of the independence movement is that too much is devoted to London and the South-East; how will an independent Scotland prevent a similar swamping by the Edinburgh-Glasgow corridor?
I don't know if that is answered to your satisfaction by the Yes campaign, but it has long been addressed at least by their literature: http://www.yesscotland.net/answers/wont-independence-replace-london-dominance-central-belt-dominance

I don't know if that is answered to your satisfaction by the Yes campaign, but it has long been addressed at least by their literature: http://www.yesscotland.net/answers/wont-independence-replace-london-dominance-central-belt-dominance

It is also worth noting that the electoral system in the Scottish Parliament means that a party has to win seats in all parts of the country if it is to have the best chance of becoming the government. This is very different from Westminster where we have seen many government’s elected with very limited support in Scotland.

The Scottish arrangements mean that no one part of the country can dominate and no one part of the country can be ignored.

How does that work then?

A Yes campaign debate in Leith yesterday, 200 in the hall and a large crowd outside in the rain because there wasn't enough space to let them all in. Organisers asked people who were already going to vote yes to make way for those who were undecided

BVrrWXnCAAAPw0b.jpg:large

BVrSAK-CcAAaY9p.jpg:large

New Panelbase Poll – Different Commissioner, Same Result

John Curtice

http://blog.whatscotlandthinks.org/2013/10/new-panelbase-poll-different-commissioner-same-result/

If we take the undecided out of the calculation, the poll points to a 45% Yes vote, with 55% backing No.

in this poll Panelbase have tried to assess whether their panel is disproportionately pro-Yes in composition by conducting half of the poll amongst members of their own panel and half amongst those who are members of another (unnamed) panel. The balance of Yes and No supporters in the two halves was identical (though the non-Panelbase panel respondents did contain a higher proportion (20%) of Don’t Knows than the Panelbase ones (15%)). That would seem to dispel the concern about infiltration.

Meanwhile, we should note too that in this poll the question on referendum voting intention was not preceded by questions about Holyrood vote intention. [...] And now the company has produced much the same result even when it has not asked Holyrood vote intention first.

it now seems very likely that what distinguishes Panelbase’s polls from those of other companies is the character of the sample that emerges from the procedures they use to select potential respondents. This aspect of their methodology – and that of their rivals – may well come under greater scrutiny should the pollsters’ results continue to diverge as markedly as they have done so far.

Just 24% [of Don't Knows] are concerned about Scotland always getting the government for which it votes, while no less than 65% say their eventual decision will be determined by the future of the nation’s economy. The Yes side needs to remember that arguments that make nationalist hearts beat faster may not necessarily be ones that have resonance for those who have yet to be won over.

I have yet to make up my mind on the independence question and want to make an informed decision. I wish to listen to as many views as I can.
Yes indeed. Fortunately I find he's going to be in Aberdeen on the 18th. No driving required.

No offence but you're not going to be informed by George!! There's plenty of unbiased info out there, there are even links to it here. George is a self interested, lying balloon :(

Would an independent Scotland fuck things for Labour - how would they adjust to a massive loss of (40+?) seats?

Would an independent Scotland fuck things for Labour - how would they adjust to a massive loss of (40+?) seats?
No it wouldn't fuck Labour, not that they don't deserve it :( Keir Hardie must be burling in his grave :( There are links to GE results in the thread that PROVE this, think danny posted them a few pages back.

Dundee is quite nice for an occasional visit :p It has vastly improved in the last 5 yrs or so.
Visited for the first time last year, actually visited as opposed to doing the half a dozen roundabouts it takes to avoid it. Glad I wasn't there 5 years ago on that recommendation

Visited for the first time last year, actually visited as opposed to doing the half a dozen roundabouts it takes to avoid it. Glad I wasn't there 5 years ago on that recommendation

Circles. According to my Dundonian BIL anyway.;)

This has been answered several times in the thread. But, no, Labour is perfectly capable of majorities without the Scottish MPs.

New Statesman covers the issue this week, too.

No offence but you're not going to be informed by George!! There's plenty of unbiased info out there, there are even links to it here. George is a self interested, lying balloon :(

There are no unbiased sources out there when it comes to the politics. As for GG himself, I am well aware that he has a multi-faceted reputation.

Maybe the north of england joining scotland isn't realistic, but I reckon it's a valid concern that Westminster will end up swinging even further to the right and we'll be left to cope with the wreckage to our regional economy and social infrastructure from that. Perhaps we ought to be pushing for some form of developed regional government ourselves or something.

I doubt they'd want us and it would be strange having a Scottish capital city. The reason I'm replying to this though is that I didn't think anyone else would even post it as a joke. Do you think there's a minority of northerners who'd go for it if it were a possibility? I would. Apart from inner London I pretty much hate the South and its politics. Any social democracy as opposed to what we've got now. The People's Republic of Caledonia and Granadaland?

e2a Nice work by me there. Joining in the freaking debate from MAY. Apologies.

Back
Top Bottom