Scottish independence?

• Yes please

Votes: 99 56.6%
  • No thanks

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Dont know yet

Votes: 17 9.7%

• Total voters
It's because he's not officially part of the Yes or No campaigns and it's a council-owned property I believe.
What a crock of shite! Why did they take the booking in the first place?? I have a friend who is currently waiting to see how long it will be before he gets a reprimand for having a YES flag in his cooncil van :D

What a load of cobblers. It was the Red Arrows and the SNP wanted them to stream white and blue only, instead of red, white, and blue.

Are you suggesting that, even if true, is at all relevant here? What point are you making? Right or wrong, the SNP can't use the military to promote Scottish nationalism, but the Tories are within their right to use the military to promote British nationalism. That was my point.

The RAF are the Royal Air Force, not Cameron's.

If you want military action, look to the Shetlands. It was rubbished when I mentioned it upthread but recently I've been hearing about how the Shetlands are none too pleased with Holyrood rule, and it would not surprise me if they asked to stay part of the UK or become a Crown Dependency. Having a major naval base there would be a source of income once the oil runs out. This would royally fuck the rest of Scotland, of course.

The RAF are the Royal Air Force, not Cameron's.

If you want military action, look to the Shetlands. It was rubbished when I mentioned it upthread but recently I've been hearing about how the Shetlands are none too pleased with Holyrood rule, and it would not surprise me if they asked to stay part of the UK or become a Crown Dependency. Having a major naval base there would be a source of income once the oil runs out. This would royally fuck the rest of Scotland, of course.

Shetland and other islands need powers devolved that are within Westminster's remit not Holyrood's. Will the Western Isles, Shetland or Orkney get independence if they want it? What has any of that got to do with Westminster using the military to promote nationalism is anyone's guess.

Last edited:
The different devolved authorities all have their own "West Lothian Question": Wales, Northern Ireland, and London all have devolved assemblies assemblies with differing powers. MPs in the area any one of those have issues they can vote on in Westminster without affecting their own back yard.

This is a problem for the Union whether Yes wins or not.
Would it be an imposition on you to elucidate us on anybody's " West Lothian Question" while barely shedding light on the fucking place?

I don't really understand your question, nor why you're asking it so aggressively, but from the Wiki reference Quartz pointed to:

The question was first posed by William Gladstone in 1886. During his speech on the first Irish Home Rule bill in 1886 he said:

“If Ireland is to have domestic legislation for Irish affairs they cannot come here for English or Scottish affairs”.[5]

So, how are we all preparing for the big debate tomorrow? Anyone here lucky enough to be in the audience?

I think I'll be ensconced in front of the TV with a big pot of tea - no alcohol as I'll be trying to pay close attention - and some pizza - after all, it's 2 for 1 tomorrow.

Mostly I will ignore it but will no doubt read it about it from various sources. Genuinely not interested in anything Darling has to say, unless he admits to being a giant cock.

So, how are we all preparing for the big debate tomorrow? Anyone here lucky enough to be in the audience?

I think I'll be ensconced in front of the TV with a big pot of tea - no alcohol as I'll be trying to pay close attention - and some pizza - after all, it's 2 for 1 tomorrow.
I'm in Ireland, and may try to watch it online, if that proves possible.

By looking too arrogant, perhaps? Not that I know him but the way he's being talked up there's a danger of it I'd have thought.

top reportage from the beeb 'Darling will try to stick to details and procedures'

'but is salmond the beter debater'

'well, he's the better tv personality, can work his audience'

impartiality :cool:

To comment in advance, Darling isn't noted for his debating skills so I am not so sure it was wise his accepting this debate, whereas Salmond is an effective debater. As someone who is pro UK, I hope Darling does not make too much of a hash of it.

Back
Top Bottom