Scottish independence?

• Yes please

Votes: 99 56.6%
  • No thanks

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Dont know yet

Votes: 17 9.7%

• Total voters
CBA to look at the 'don't go' stuff but is it fair to say most of the people in it are English? I don't get it, much as I'm fond of Scotland and have many dear Scottish friends (I share a house with three of them), I really don't see it as my place to be attempting to persuade anyone to vote one way or the other. It's weird.
And, Ross Kemp, Eddie Izzard, and Baldrick, why could we not continue to be friends if we vote Yes? What are you implying?

Baldrick's a complete nob anyway

I do not envisage my relationship with my housemates changing at all post-September regardless of the outcome :D
I feel a bit weirded out that Ross Kemp loves me, as it happens; it's unwanted attention, you creep.

Perhaps it's a large dose of wishful thinking but the official polls don't reflect the mood of the two major cities at least as far as I can see. It's getting talked about at pretty much any social gathering I've been to and honestly among my friends, family and workmates there are very very vanishingly few who've said they're voting No, a big majority who've said they're voting Yes and less and less who say they're undecided. I follow a lot of people involved with doorstep canvassing on twitter and they're mostly reporting a majority of Yesses too. I wouldn't write it off yet.

Depends what your group of friends and family is like. If those European election results were accurately predicted by the people I know then UKIP would not have got a single vote.

Heh. My mistake. 18th Sept was when Edward gave up his Scottish campaign and appointed ambassadors.

'I wasn't going to vote Yes, but since I found out the SNP have chosen to have the vote on the 700th anniversary of an English king deciding we were too much fucking effort and delegating us to a middle manager I am now'.
Said no-one, ever.

Depends what your group of friends and family is like. If those European election results were accurately predicted by the people I know then UKIP would not have got a single vote.

I think you don't understand. For a long time, there was a lot of people that thought independence was silly. A great deal of these people are really opening their eyes and getting interested in politics. Most of them, maybe all, are folk that have switched to Yes. If you look at this over a period of months/years, it is not an insignificant number.

Heh. My mistake. 18th Sept was when Edward gave up his Scottish campaign and appointed ambassadors.
I'll take your word for that, I'm sure you're right. But you'll not be surprised to learn that it's not a very widely known anniversary, and isn't featuring in any material I've seen.

It's not the talk of the barber's shop. Saving the NHS is, though.

I'll take your word for that, I'm sure you're right. But you'll not be surprised to learn that it's not a very widely known anniversary, and isn't featuring in any material I've seen.

It's what I get for posting when I'm high on Beecham's powders.

It's not the talk of the barber's shop. Saving the NHS is, though.

Not the independence vote? That's sad, because it's the most important vote most Scots will ever cast. It's also telling that people do not feel comfortable discussing it.

I hate hairdresser's conversation at the best of times,but politics while you have to sit there force chatting would be beyond the pale. Comes up quite a lot elsewhere but thank fuck not in the barbers especially as would be man/woman with sharp pointy things near my jugular has said something there's a 50/50 chance i'll disagree with

I think you don't understand. For a long time, there was a lot of people that thought independence was silly. A great deal of these people are really opening their eyes and getting interested in politics. Most of them, maybe all, are folk that have switched to Yes. If you look at this over a period of months/years, it is not an insignificant number.

I didn't see weepiper mention that the people she knows have changed to the yes side, just that they *are* on the yes side.

one wonder is, if the yes vote prevails, are the loonier no fringe 'bobby sands is feckin died' sorts likely to pose a threat to continued civic scots society? Cos they seem dead fucking keen on the whole union gig.

I did allude to it

Fair enough if you mean switching from undecided to yes. Though we still have the recent UKIP result and the amazing 1992 election result where Major got in with not a single person admitting to voting Tory to see how these straw polls of mates and family don't carry well into reality.

That said, the Yesses do seem to be gaining from what I've seen* - a few more quips from Cameron might be all you need.

* - a brief Google suggests I might be a week out of date in saying that...

You know it's all over when one side retreats to a maybe the polls are wrong position.

the polls themselves are a bit stymied- they have to take in the under 18 vote. Thats not happened in a serious thing ever in modern history. They've demographics, online polls and consumer choices to go on. No solid psephological data for that set.

It is all to play for imo. The undecideds have this one. The best way would be for the better together initiative to just stop talking, but they won't. And god help the union should cameron appear on TV crying into his copy of Bright Blue about the Union. Nail/coffin.

Not the independence vote? That's sad, because it's the most important vote most Scots will ever cast. It's also telling that people do not feel comfortable discussing it.

I suspect that what was meant was that your anniversary of ambassadors was hardly the stuff of everyday chitchat, rather than the independence vote not being spoken about.

I also suspect you knew that, though.

I hate hairdresser's conversation ...

There's a quotation from somebody-or-other, might have been Richard Burton (the actor one, not explorer), who was asked how he would like his hair cut, and he replied along the lines of "in silence, broken only by the sound of scissors". :)

No matter who said it, it's something that must strike a chord with most people.

I need to try these Beecham's powders; you still seem a little spaced out.

What I meant was that in relation to independence, people aren't talking about Edward and Bruce, they're talking about practical implications. Saving the NHS, for example. Whatever Edward - or anyone else hundreds of years ago - did on 18th September is not being discussed. What voting for independence can do - or not - is being discussed.

To be clear, the independence vote is the top political topic. (Although "Westminster paedophile rings" is currently bubbling under).

I've not seen any evidence that people feel uncomfortable discussing it; it's the most talked-about political issue I've known in my lifetime, and I include Iraq, the Poll Tax and the miners' strike.

I hate hairdresser's conversation at the best of times,but politics while you have to sit there force chatting would be beyond the pale. Comes up quite a lot elsewhere but thank fuck not in the barbers especially as would be man/woman with sharp pointy things near my jugular has said something there's a 50/50 chance i'll disagree with
I don't go to a hairdresser's; I go to a barber. His conversation is very good, although I have learned more about competitive cycling than I ever thought I'd need to know. I enjoy it. The people waiting for their turn on the chair also join in. It's very sociable.

I'll give you his details, if you like.

I used to go to the grumpy bugger down the street who cut your hair in silent fury; you'd probably prefer him.

the polls themselves are a bit stymied- they have to take in the under 18 vote. Thats not happened in a serious thing ever in modern history. They've demographics, online polls and consumer choices to go on. No solid psephological data for that set.

It is all to play for imo. The undecideds have this one. The best way would be for the better together initiative to just stop talking, but they won't. And god help the union should cameron appear on TV crying into his copy of Bright Blue about the Union. Nail/coffin.
I would be very surprised if the 16/17 year old vote makes any difference at all. In either polling or result.

You know it's all over when one side retreats to a maybe the polls are wrong position.

The polls are not all doom and gloom. A Survation poll suggested that, if people kept switching from undecided to Yes at the same rate, there would be around 48.5% voting Yes. The ICM and YouGov polls were disappointing.

We'll see on polling day, and you never know, maybe people are scared to admit to voting yes. Also, the polls have been wrong in Scotland before (2011 and I think some predicted a higher vote for SNP in thee euro elections). So, it's not that the polls are wrong, just that there may be some bias, error, and - of course - the turnout is much higher than previous elections. I don't know how this will impact their weightings, which seem based on past voting.

Getting the Yes vote out is crucial. Scotland is going to be on the receiving end post-referendum. Better Together will have a lot of explaining to do, if we have a recession...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom