Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Will Gary Lineker be presenting Motd on Saturday?

He's basically got an umbrella company like many of us mere mortal freelancers. So I guess he submits timesheets (lol) like the rest of us. He flogs his services all over the show and does very well out of it. I also dont think for a minute he's stupid enough to have made those tweets without a bit of consideration.
Isn’t the whole freelance umbrella company thing just a tax avoidance issue?

Isn’t the whole freelance umbrella company thing just a tax avoidance issue?

Umbrellas are for the lazy freelancers like myself, tis very easy. But yes you pay less tax. People who can actually be arsed use different methods to pay even less tax. The BBC pays Lineker's company, not Lineker. So he would basically have to sack himself if they ended his contract.

Oh yes, I don't think he'll end up selling crisps on the market after this (seem to remember he used to work on markets for his family's fruit and veg stall/business). Anyone's guess whether he or the BBC chair last longest.
I reckon Lineker will win. Because other talent is supporting him, public opinion is with him.

The only question now is how much collateral damage there will be in the Beeb management.

Last edited:
And he gives the whole lot to a refugee charity.
Lineker's already sort of put his money where his mouth is, where refugees are concerned, in that he's hosted refugees in his home before now.

There's a strong recency bias to all this. They've done loads of stupid things, defended them and then been entirely predictably forced into apologising by external pressure. Pay for women was one from memory, as was pursuing disciplinary action against Munchetty. I don't recall what from recent times did & didn't affect broadcast output like this but the level of scandal isn't especially novel.
Yes, the BBC didn't cover themselves in glory over the equal pay issue, in particular they treated Carrie Gracie atrociously and had to apologise.

Gracie was a journalist though.

I think this is the first time that wider 'talent' as in television personalities have effectively gone on a wildcat strike to support other talent, I'll happily stand corrected if I'm wrong, but I think this is unprecedented.

Finally looked at the programme - ended up just flicking through because it was tedious. This has made me realize that MotD is the only one I regularly look forward to and watch live particularly because I don't have Sky or BT or similar.

331932749_449781977309080_5984521425092376944_n.jpg

When it says 'denied access to the UK's modern slavery system' is that a fancy way of saying they're not allowed to get a job here?

🤣

But nah, seriously, though, it means that people who are trafficked to the UK, eg for sex work, or cannabis farms, or whatever, would usually be treated as a victim of crime under modern slavery laws, but the government wants to roll back those protections and effectively treat them as illegal immigrants/criminals.

Lineker didn’t compare the refugees crossing the channel with any situation in 1930s Germany. He compared the language the government used to launch their renewed policy with the language used by the Nazi regime prior to the war. He is correct, there are alarming parallels.

The way that Braverman chose to take faux offence was disingenuous.

I was a bit drunk and tired and had also read something in the media that was a bit misleading about what Lineker had actually said - you are totally right on pointing that out and apols for the error re: what Lineker said referring to Government (Braverman’s) language used (no doubt building on times where they have got away with this in the past, with the support of the right wing press).

I missed Braverman’s faux offence thing, but agree it would have been totally just playing to the gallery hoping for sympathy.

Sorry also to anyone else that I was talking to at cross-purposes at that point in the thread.

The article is wrong in that the Slack quotes are not from News staff. They're taken from a channel basically called "news chat" but it's about current events, not the News service.
is it a good thing do you think, that it was leaked to the press that internal chat full of angry bbc employees or will they just clamp down / ask half the staff to 'step back'. Seems like its a good thing, like it will force some sort of change and just saying sorry to the footballer wont do.

Interesting bit in that article about how Lineker took note months ago that by having that shamelessly appointed Johnson-doner at the top, the bbc would find it harder to find a leg to stand on when trying to do things like what it just did. He's no fool.

eta this bit
"Lineker, 62, had himself felt that Sharp’s behaviour would make it impossible for the corporation to criticise staff about social media. Emily Maitlis, the former Newsnight presenter who now hosts News Agents podcast, said that the pair had spoken a couple of weeks ago, with Lineker saying: “Gosh, they are going to find these conversations with us [him and his BBC colleagues] a lot harder now.”

Last edited:
Umbrellas are for the lazy freelancers like myself, tis very easy. But yes you pay less tax. People who can actually be arsed use different methods to pay even less tax. The BBC pays Lineker's company, not Lineker. So he would basically have to sack himself if they ended his contract.
I believe he contracts with the BBC as a sole trader. That, at least, is what was reported in the Guardian a week or so ago.

is it a good thing do you think, that it was leaked to the press that internal chat full of angry bbc employees or will they just clamp down / ask half the staff to 'step back'.
It's a horrible thing. Everything can in theory be obtained under FoIA and the usual caveats about work systems apply, but in reality almost nothing ever happens about it. But now someone has undermined that remaining limited internal safety, even if it never happens again, and for what gain, basically just entertainment. Probably nothing will happen in terms of managerial response, but it's still pretty harmful to the culture. One of the quotes was from a "diversity and inclusivity" forum, effectively a staff-driven ERG.

is it a good thing do you think, that it was leaked to the press that internal chat full of angry bbc employees or will they just clamp down / ask half the staff to 'step back'. Seems like its a good thing, like it will force some sort of change and just saying sorry to the footballer wont do.
Departmental emails will go out reminding staff not to talk about internal BBC matters on public fora, and I daresay a couple of hotdogging managers will probably exceed their authority and go after a few of the low-hanging fruit, pissing off the rest.

Back
Top Bottom