Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Will Gary Lineker be presenting Motd on Saturday?

He does have a contract though, afaik.

He's basically got an umbrella company like many of us mere mortal freelancers. So I guess he submits timesheets (lol) like the rest of us. He flogs his services all over the show and does very well out of it. I also dont think for a minute he's stupid enough to have made those tweets without a bit of consideration.

The only way Davie stays if Lineker grovels, apologises etc. Which ain't going to happen. So, the only way they get off the hook is if he walks in the very near future and he's surely astute enough to know that would be giving them an undeserved win. I just hope he returns to the Beeb ASAP and gets straight back into the subtle barbs that he does quite well (and then walks away in 12 months, donating the pay off money to refugees as mentioned by lbj).
I disagree, I think there are lots of ways out of this that involve some relatively minor concession on both sides, mistakes were made etc etc, though they don't necessarily solve the problem. But more importantly there is nobody really to hold Davie accountable.

The last one to be forced to resign was Entwistle after only two months in the job but being generally useless and failing to take charge of the McAlpine libel debacle, but that was some serious external pressure that came with accountability in itself. Before that you have to go back to Dyke who resigned over Hutton which was similar if less incompetent on his part.

I disagree, I think there are lots of ways out of this that involve some relatively minor concession on both sides, mistakes were made etc etc, though they don't necessarily solve the problem. But more importantly there is nobody really to hold Davie accountable.

The last one to be forced to resign was Entwistle after only two months in the job but being generally useless and failing to take charge of the McAlpine libel debacle, but that was some serious external pressure that came with accountability in itself. Before that you have to go back to Dyke who resigned over Hutton which was similar if less incompetent on his part.
Has any of them caused a mass walk-out of 'talent' and cancelled shows? Surely this is a new level of incompetence.

Has any of them caused a mass walk-out of 'talent' and cancelled shows? Surely this is a new level of incompetence.
There's a strong recency bias to all this. They've done loads of stupid things, defended them and then been entirely predictably forced into apologising by external pressure. Pay for women was one from memory, as was pursuing disciplinary action against Munchetty. I don't recall what from recent times did & didn't affect broadcast output like this but the level of scandal isn't especially novel.

There's a strong recency bias to all this. They've done loads of stupid things, defended them and then been entirely predictably forced into apologising by external pressure. Pay for women was one from memory, as was pursuing disciplinary action against Munchetty. I don't recall what from recent times did & didn't affect broadcast output like this but the level of scandal isn't especially novel.
The fallout from Savile - senior management torpedoing the Newsnight package, the pissed-off reporting team breaching omerta, ITV taking on lots of the material, and then the Panorama on the whole sorry affair

Maybe, but I can't remember a single instance of a mass walk-out of this kind and cancelled shows due to a ham-fisted BBC policy decision. The level of incompetence demonstrated by the bosses isn't novel (Munchetty debacle was every bit as bad) but its consequences surely are.

Local government workers (and civil servants, presumably) are instructed not to express political views, an instruction I don’t really understand and routinely ignore.
This two smarmy pennyworth bigot is a Procurement Category Manager at London Borough of Lambeth and boyfriend of Tory MP Elliot Colburn. Colburn claimed £236,000 last year in expenses, on top of his £82,000 salary.

Now some bellend's leaked internal engineering Slack posts about it to The Times. Nowhere is safe from the panopticon of self-own.

Sunday Times report
The unhappiness was broader than sport, though. Leaked posts on the BBC’s Slack messenger system showed news staff were mutinous. One dubbed it “disgraceful cowardice from leadership”, another said “I’m starting to think there is little point in working here anymore”, and a third said “Richard Sharp — all good; Gary Lineker calling out racism and fascism — outrage.” A fourth asked: “Who has more integrity, a banana republic or the BBC?” A radio presenter put this in a wider context: “What you are watching is the pent-up anger of an entire organisation, channelling through this incident.” It is already a spring of discontent at the BBC: on Wednesday, staff will walk out over cuts to local radio, in a strike that will coincide with the spring budget.

He's basically got an umbrella company like many of us mere mortal freelancers. So I guess he submits timesheets (lol) like the rest of us. He flogs his services all over the show and does very well out of it. I also dont think for a minute he's stupid enough to have made those tweets without a bit of consideration.

He has his own companies to invoice through, no way is he going through an umbrella.

Back
Top Bottom