Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Will Gary Lineker be presenting Motd on Saturday?

He's hardly comparable to Clarkson in getting attention though, and it's a diversion from what Lineker was pointing to. I prefer that Lineker's pointing doesn't get diluted by fucking comparisons to that cunt Clarkson.
It's the other way round. Folk are saying Clarkson got away with it (and so they should, it's a salient point) but then ruining it by pointing a joke.

He's hardly comparable to Clarkson in getting attention though, and it's a diversion from what Lineker was pointing to. I prefer that Lineker's pointing doesn't get diluted by fucking comparisons to that cunt Clarkson.

Yeah fair enough, it's not important given the context as you say.

Reactions: Ax^
What was your position again? That it was 'cancel culture' that canned Lineker not the specific named human person who actually made the decision?

And that this should make people think twice before taking part in cultural boycotts of manifestly dodgy people, because those two situations are functionally equivalent?

If so, I suggest you abandon it now and beat the rush.
Someone is suspended/sacked because of their expressed views. That is cancel culture.
You can't support one and be involved in the other. I haven't pointed the finger anywhere but I didn't need to, did I?

I'd imagine they will just broadcast clips of matches and ambient sound, with a chunky lower third providing factual information and an endless scrolling banner with slightly pointed comments regarding the usual service.

ah, so it's not on yet.

no presenters just view of goals

as no one else can be arsed to turn up

somehow it's a win for the BBC's boss against the bloody lefty's who appear now to included most football fans

quite something to see , seeming as in the past who control the football fans is in government

Someone is suspended/sacked because of their expressed views. That is cancel culture.
You can't support one and be involved in the other. I haven't pointed the finger anywhere but I didn't need to, did I?
your missing the differance between "stating your political opinion" and "spewing hate filled bile/dangerous untruth" - one is acceptable the other isnt - and shouldnt be. And - besides Lineker - who else has actually been "cancelled" for their views?

your missing the differance between "stating your political opinion" and "spewing hate filled bile/dangerous untruth" - one is acceptable the other isnt - and shouldnt be. And - besides Lineker - who else has actually been "cancelled" for their views?
Fucking loads of people in Academia. I assume you're not a keen follower of current affairs.

Let's compare Clarkson doing a racism under his breath cos he thinks it's funny and edgy and clever (remember the 'slope' incident?) with Lineker expressing his concerns about the new immigration law and the language used by the government.

One is expressing his views. The other is being a twat (and that's being charitable).

They are not in the least bit comparable.

it's not a "culture", there has never been a "cancel culture", people are consistently criticised or kicked out or banned or whatever because of things they say, going back millennia. The modern concept of "cancel culture" is a cynical right wing attempt to state that their avatars are unfairly blocked by an imaginary left wing consensus.

Strange you should mention that, I've a recording of seagulls made in the microfilm room of the national library of ireland I'm sure would be music to farmerbarleymow's ears
At first I thought it was a dog in distress but when I thought about how unlikely it'd be in either the nli or leinster house next door and listened with more care it became clear it was gulls

it's not a "culture", there has never been a "cancel culture", people are consistently criticised or kicked out or banned or whatever because of things they say, going back millennia. The modern concept of "cancel culture" is a cynical right wing attempt to state that their avatars are unfairly blocked by an imaginary left wing consensus.
Yes the term is recently coined. But I, for instance, wouldn't see losing someone their livelihood to be the correct course of action because I didn't like their views. That is definitely happening now and it happening to Lineker is an example of it happening from the right.

Back
Top Bottom