Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

will Boris Johnson resign next year , a baseless speculation thread

I've always thought he'd go in the new year.
From his point of view, he 'got Brexit done' ( allbeit in the same way burning a house down can be classed as 'renovations'), and with the news of the vaccine, he'll probably see it as going out on a high.

Also, Michael Grove has suddenly become extremely visible over the past month or so, which fills me with dread...

Worse to come you reckon? Why?

Case numbers are hitting new records every day and still rising, rises in deaths come several weeks after rises in infections, no vaccine has been approved yet, if one comes through soon and the government is able to deal with the huge logistical challenges involved in the mass vaccination program, it will still be quite a few months before life can return to normal, so it seems like an extremely grim winter and possibly spring lies ahead.

Sunak's 1-2-1 pressers yesterday seemed to contain a degree of distancing from the whole No.10 operation/farago. Obviously well hidden behind outward expressions of loyalty etc. but, if you looked...the distancing was there alright.

I think he'll stick it out tbh. For everything that's happened he's still got a massive majority to sit on and the list of leaders going 'fuck it I can't be arsed' and walking away is a short one.

I think he'd very much like to find a way to shunt all of the responsibility for actually doing stuff onto others though.

Case numbers are hitting new records every day and still rising, rises in deaths come several weeks after rises in infections, no vaccine has been approved yet, if one comes through soon and the government is able to deal with the huge logistical challenges involved in the mass vaccination program, it will still be quite a few months before life can return to normal, so it seems like an extremely grim winter and possibly spring lies ahead.
aye....i think the fact furlough was extended to March suggests plenty of locking down till then, for sure.

I should've done a poll but very interesting to see how many people have the same feeling. Also look at this, google algorithm seems convinced too.
Screenshot 2020-11-13 at 08.29.16.png

I think he'll stick it out tbh. For everything that's happened he's still got a massive majority to sit on and the list of leaders going 'fuck it I can't be arsed' and walking away is a short one.

Agreed. I don't think he'll walk of his own free will. Cummings' departure looks to be a product - partly, anyway - of the parliamentary Tory party reasserting itself, and if enough of them decide Johnson has served his purpose they'll chuck him under the proverbial bus.

Nope, I think Johnson is revelling being in charge and like Trump will stay until the removals people are banging on the doors!

Nope, I think Johnson is revelling being in charge and like Trump will stay until the removals people are banging on the doors!
Really doesn't give the impression of a man who is revelling, or in charge of anything. Also he will earn ten times more money telling shit jokes as an after dinner speaker and has a whole host of offspring to put through eton.

Last edited:
I don't have a total in-depth knowledge of Johnson's history, but my impression of him is that he's more into getting sacked than resigning. The only resignations I can think of (ie as foreign sec) are strategic resignations to further his ambitions. So he won't be walking IMO, and despite their complaints I doubt there's enough appetite in the parliamentary party for a leadership challenge.

He's too arrogant to resign because that takes an element of self awareness and acceptance that he is not performing well. He will have to be pushed imo, unless there is some sort of triumph that he can claim as his own and go out on a high. That's not going to be Brexit either.

I don't know whether Johnson will still be here this time next year but I did have an interesting conversation with my Dad the other day.

My parents are proper die hard tribal tories. I've never heard them say a bad word against them. They were party members for years all throughout the Thatcher years and beyond. The tories can do no wrong and everything other parties do is wrong. They don't have the mental capacity or maturity to recognise that often there really wasn't much between the 3 main parties on a range of issues. It's that level of tribal.

Anyway back to the conversation. We were talking about the pandemic (as if there is anything else to talk about) and unprompted he said Johnson is not the right man for the job. Apparently he was great for Brexit and the election but he's not good enough for this crisis.

Hardly a great revelation but that is the only criticism I have ever heard him say about a tory leader in my life. That's about as damning comment about Johnson I can imagine. Of course being my Dad he was probably selfishly thinking of his own health as he is an old man now. If he was 10 years younger he probably wouldn't have said it but still not good for Johnson if rank and file tories are saying that.

Also, Michael Grove has suddenly become extremely visible over the past month or so, which fills me with dread...

But the hole is so deep, the only way out is to keep digging. Doesn't matter who takes over the problems won't go away nor can be solved by the limited thinking of the tory parties.

I'm going to say no, they've got a massive majority and can do what the fuck they like for the next four years and if a resignation and new face was part of a grander plan it'd be a bit further into this electoral term. Am not putting money on it tho.

There's long been huge dissatisfaction in the ranks of Tory MP's, and those Tory MP's are hearing it load and clear in the constituency parties - Johnson isn't up to the job, many of his cabinet are pretty useless, and - unlike Corbyn - Starmer is a formidable opponent.

It's not if, it's when. The Tory press say the same things.

They would like him to see the writing on the wall and retire gracefully having 'acheived' Brexit and then been mortally wounded in the fight against covid, leaving them to find a new leader/PM who can a) run a country, and b) win against Starmer.

As ever however, if he won't do the decent thing they will eventually do it for him.

(Interestingly, Geoffrey Clifton-Brown, treasurer of the 1922 committee, was on times radio in the last week openly talking about this being Johnson's last chance to get a grip and include his MP's. He didn't say 'or else', but his meaning was crystal clear, and he didn't contradict John Peinaar when the latter started suggesting those letters to the chair of the '22).

This stuff about an 80 seat majority and therefore being invunerable fails to understand both the party and parliament - Johnson is PM because Tory MP's say he is. He wasn't popular among MP's to start with, his constituency has always been outside parliament (and the party?), and his performances over Covid and against Starmer have been woeful, and they want him out. He can either take the watch, the whisky and the fake smiles, or he can take the bullet - the first is preferable, the second would be messy and painful for the PCP, but they've done it before, and each time it gets easier....

Theresa May wasn't supposed to last many months after the 2017 election.

Tory MPs won't force him until there's credible candidates and we return to relative normality if COVID ends (more like slowly resides)

I've got no real reason for thinking this but i do, a man who thought it would be a laugh to be prime minister is instead having a shit time of it and I reckon he'll stand down at some point next year and get on with writing a book about being the Pm which was always stage two of his hollow life's ambition.
there's still time.

There's long been huge dissatisfaction in the ranks of Tory MP's, and those Tory MP's are hearing it load and clear in the constituency parties - Johnson isn't up to the job, many of his cabinet are pretty useless, and - unlike Corbyn - Starmer is a formidable opponent.

They would like him to see the writing on the wall and retire gracefully having 'acheived' Brexit and then been mortally wounded in the fight against covid, leaving them to find a new leader/PM who can a) run a country, and b) win against Starmer.

As ever however, if he won't do the decent thing they will eventually do it for him.

(Interestingly, Geoffrey Clifton-Brown, treasurer of the 1922 committee, was on times radio in the last week openly talking about this being Johnson's last chance to get a grip and include his MP's. He didn't say 'or else', but his meaning was crystal clear, and he didn't contradict John Peinaar when the latter started suggesting those letters to the chair of the '22).

This stuff about an 80 seat majority and therefore being invunerable fails to understand both the party and parliament - Johnson is PM because Tory MP's say he is. He wasn't popular among MP's to start with, his constituency has always been outside parliament (and the party?), and his performances over Covid and against Starmer have been woeful, and they want him out. He can either take the watch, the whisky and the fake smiles, or he can take the bullet - the first is preferable, the second would be messy and painful for the PCP, but they've done it before, and each time it gets easier....
((((kebabking)))) :(

KMQ9Y4C.jpg

1623753634740.png

Back
Top Bottom