Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

why the bbc is going down the pan

Looked around for a thread and there doesn’t seem to be a general one dedicated to its ongoing woefulness and worse.

Here’s a starter, a double whammy from the predictable :facepalm: Radio 4:

Richard Walker, MD of Iceland and on the Tory candidates list, was this morning afforded the golden 8.10 am interview slot on R4 Today, usually reserved for top politicians and newsmakers, a chance to expound the virtues of Iceland and that stinking corpse formerly known as Compassionate Conservatism.

Free advertising and free propaganda ftw :thumbs:

Or was it? :eek:

ETA: package now online, starts here at 2h 13m.

Last edited:
BBC News was for a long time the voice of the establishment - and for many years that meant a slant and bias towards soggy centrism, social liberalism and economic coverage that backed the (largely Tory) status quo.

It seems to me that 12 years of Tory govt and an increasingly effective infiltration campaign focused on News & current affairs have changed this. The higher echelons are stuffed with vicious RW Tory placemen and women, and “discussion” progs like QT are stuffed with Tories, & give platforms to the rightist contrarian fringe ( including the Furedi cult and the GB News/Talk TV mobs)

BBC News now has a noticeably more RW bias, particularly on the key issues which the far right are currently using as culture war “wedge issues” - immigration, asylum and transgender people. This is now to the point that some coverage in BBC flagship news programmes on these key issues for the far right is basically indistinguishable from GB News & Talk TV/Radio.

Of course, as the focus for control has been News & current affairs, the right can still pretend the BBC is left wing by pointing to their still socially liberal drama & environmental output. But the right knew which was the more important area for them to dominate…

To be honest I didn't know Walker was a Tory until this morning. He's been in the media a lot, largely on environmental issues, and has seemed at the lesser end of the celebrity business twat spectrum (Branson, Sugar, Green, etc).

Julia Hartley-Brewer was shocking on Question Time last week, seeking to sew doubt on established climate science. The Beeb were arguably worse for having her on / not stating explicitly that she was lying.

Michael O'Leary (Ryanair) on Today this morning, to talk about how the airline industry is going green.

Willie Walsh (formerly BA and now an industry shill) on The World At One, to talk about how the airline industry is going green.

Posted this in the Gavin Williamson hate thread, but just as relevant here: Radio 5 Live this morning running a theme where shit bosses ring in to say they approve of Williamson’s threats and bullying because that is how they work and “get things done”. All egged on by BBC host of course, & I guess GB, Talk & the other fash enablers are similar or worse.
Britain today.
Scum justifying scummy behaviour in the name of “functioning capitalism”.
We need to just END IT.
Yes, this is personal!

View attachment 350772

Should really get with times in his choice of racial slurs.
The real story there is bloke can't see a difference between a destroyer and a carrier

father-ted-feature-1024x538-copy.jpg

As long as he's not on any select committees or anything, can't see a problem

Last edited:
If anyone's listening to the toady programme this morning, you might have heard the story about an Albanian migrant where the reporter said that the reason asylum applications take so long to process is the number of arrivals. Which is bollocks. There'll be a report by the same journo on newsnight this evening where the claim will almost certainly be repeated, even tho its been widely reported recently that the delays nothing to do with the number of arrivals. People who like complaining take heed

Article on the BBC website about Matt Hancock on I'm a Celebrity and whether he's been "forgiven" - the only people whose opinions they quote are:

Nadine Dorries
former Scum editor David Yelland
David Cameron's former PR man
Jonathan Aitken

Balanced and impartial my arse.
And has he been?

The BBCs woes aren't just about editorial content and being the voice of the establishment, and being a mono opinion channel etc.
There are now people barely if ever watch it these days and yet (in theory) have to pay for a channel they don't watch under threat of legal action and the funding changes that are surely upcoming.

Two things.

1. the BBC website and the Guardian website have become virtually identical in content and tenor.

2. I'm done with politics and politicians, this came with the realisation that I wouldn't piss on a blazing politician. On all sides they are utterly fucking useless. Never seen such shit masquerading as MPs as now.

Back
Top Bottom