Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

why the bbc is going down the pan

Apparently you can get DNA from people if you're next to them when they snore:

"Around 1-4% of modern human DNA comes from our ancestors sleeping with Neanderthals and this inheritance affects our ability to respond to diseases including Covid. "

It's not Newsround or an entertainment article but a science one:

euphemisms fly high over your head

It's shit reporting. Science articles don't talk about humans sleeping with Neanderthals, they talk about inter-breeding or mating. "Sleeping with" is not scientific language and this sort of reluctance to address subjects directly is why some people think you can get pregnant by sitting on a toilet seat.

It's shit reporting. Science articles don't talk about humans sleeping with Neanderthals, they talk about inter-breeding or mating. "Sleeping with" is not scientific language and this sort of reluctance to address subjects directly is why some people think you can get pregnant by sitting on a toilet seat.

No it's not. That's the fault of a lack of decent sexual education for the individuals concerned, not of non-science writers using euphemisms outside of peer-reviewed publications.

No it's not. That's the fault of a lack of decent sexual education for the individuals concerned, not of non-science writers using euphemisms outside of peer-reviewed publications.

The guy is a science correspondent ffs. I've never ever seen "sleeping with" used in the context of Neanderthal-human interbreeding in any sort of article whatsoever, not even in kiddy books where "mating" seems to be perfectly acceptable.

You'll never get those seconds back

The guy is a science correspondent ffs. I've never ever seen "sleeping with" used in the context of Neanderthal-human interbreeding in any sort of article whatsoever, not even in kiddy books where "mating" seems to be perfectly acceptable.

I really don't see the problem here. Neanderthals were people just like we are. Describing such relations to a general audience in terms of "mating" just sounds like weird incel shit to me.

I really don't see the problem here. Neanderthals were people just like we are. Describing such relations to a general audience in terms of "mating" just sounds like weird incel shit to me.

Well, you're wrong because mating and interbreeding are common usage in science articles, and in general-audience articles about science e.g.

Signs of Neanderthals Mating With Humans
Skull research sheds light on human-Neanderthal interbreeding
Humans mated with Neanderthals much earlier and more frequently than thought

Following your logic we'd have Inquiry into passing away of three babies in Lanarkshire and Teenagers sentenced after homeless man sent to meet his maker in Liverpool

Did you even read it?

The term mating was used once right at the end of the article

There is plenty of stuff in society to get bloviated about without just making it up

Last edited:
And people whose first langauge is not English.

But more importantly it's about tone and authority. Same reason they didn't use "shagged" or "made love".

Wait - so I could find myself visited by Mama Stork in the pee-pee room?! :eek:

How many news organisations have a front page headline about the widespread acclaim the recent Dr Who episode received?

The BBC have such a headline on their news homepage so I assume it must be an important story.

How many news organisations have a front page headline about the widespread acclaim the recent Dr Who episode received?

The BBC have such a headline on their news homepage so I assume it must be an important story.

Um to entertain is in their mission statement. A few million probably watched and might be interested. I think I'd put that there if I was a BBC editor.

You sound like you'd be crap at it. Better stick to getting worked up here over nothing.

Back
Top Bottom