Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Why Labour are Scum

I wonder if they only voted against the bedroom tax because they knew that the vote to abolish it wouldn't actually pass.

what's the point of voting against it then? Last night's vote was hardly surprising, but just as disappointing. Clegg abstained ffs! What's the point of him? Literally his existence is meaningless; an evolutionary political cul de sac.

And yet Labour just sit there, behind Miliband's consumptive joyless rictus, and compete for the same votes over the same policies. Reeves might well repeal the BT (or so she claims), but the's also promised to be tougher on welfare than the tories. If that's even possible! I don't get why people lik John McDonell and Jeremy Corbyn even bother.
What do you want?

It's a weird point for rose to pick up on. As you say, it's bog standard. The only one who doesn't is Skinner.
Yup. very occasionally one side will announce pairing is suspended, but only on things where they think they could actually bring the oppo down.

It's all informal, there are no set rules. They tried to tighten them up aftr Callaghans govt collapsed, but then...

Pairing in the British House of Commons was later ended by a decision of the Labour and Liberal Democrat Chief Whips, Donald Dewar and Archy Kirkwood on 17 December 1996, following an incident when they claimed to find the Conservative government cheating in a vote by pairing the same three Conservative MPs with three absent Labour MPs as well as three absent Liberal Democrat MPs. The decision came into effect on 13 January 1997.[2]

It is now back on tho

We all know they work to targets even though they lied about them working to targets. All this government does is lie and steal, they are sociopaths.

It's not a problem confined to "this government", it's the result of a political culture of entitlement, populated by people only a minority of whom have any understanding or experience of what life is like for the working class. it's an issue about the institution of government itself.

populated by people only a minority of whom have any understanding or experience of what life is like for the working class. it's an issue about the institution of government itself.

Absolutely, but I wonder if it's even worse than that? Too many politicians these days have lived and breathed politics since childhood. Just look at Hague, Miliband, and Cameron. And they've not stepped outside politics their entire lives, or at best only briefly. It's as if there's a new incipient divide: the political class vs the non-political class; work and wealth don't factor.

Absolutely, but I wonder if it's even worse than that? Too many politicians these days have lived and breathed politics since childhood. Just look at Hague, Miliband, and Cameron. And they've not stepped outside politics their entire lives, or at best only briefly. It's as if there's a new incipient divide: the political class vs the non-political class; work and wealth don't factor.
Of course work and wealth factor. Do you think the people that you listed are there by dint of ambition alone?

Wealth and what it can buy (including appropriate "work") or facilitate (access to networks) is a predominant factor in entry into the political class. it's always been the case that it was a factor, but now is the main driver for entry. Parliament itself is as much of an exclusive club for the monied classes as it ever was, even 150 years ago. Hague, Milliband and Cameron wouldn't have had the leisure to pursue politics as a career without wealth and what it buys.

Wealth and what it can buy (including appropriate "work") or facilitate (access to networks) is a predominant factor in entry into the political class. it's always been the case that it was a factor, but now is the main driver for entry. Parliament itself is as much of an exclusive club for the monied classes as it ever was, even 150 years ago. Hague, Milliband and Cameron wouldn't have had the leisure to pursue politics as a career without wealth and what it buys.

Yes indeed. But I think you've missed my point - I wasn't attacking that aspect - so perhaps I better expand: it doesn't matter how wealthy you are if you're not part of the political class. And if you are wealthy and want to remain so, you better bribe the political class. From backhanders at a local level to non-executive directorships to 'fact-finding tours' to grossly inflated payments for column pieces, they're all bribes. And if you're poor, well, you don't really matter as a group. Conversely, even a poor member of the political class is found some sinecure, some membership of a policy group, some membership of a qango or something from which they can exert influence. And a powerful member of the political class is almost by definition rich.

Just read that Labour lost by 26 votes last night and 47 Labour MPs didn't even bother to turn up. Right, so instead of actually doing something to help the most vulnerable people in society affected by an extremely vicious social policy they don't bother and actually sink their own motion. That is why Labour are scum.

The excuse is 'oh but we have a pairing system' which is nothing legally set in stone so who cares? So they talk the talk of 'we would repeal it if we get elected' the talk of 'people are suffering, the government should repeal this tax NOW' and yet when they're actually presented with opportunity to repeal it NOW they don't. Absolutely fucking pathetic and spineless.

Just read that Labour lost by 26 votes last night and 47 Labour MPs didn't even bother to turn up. Right, so instead of actually doing something to help the most vulnerable people in society affected by an extremely vicious social policy they don't bother and actually sink their own motion. That is why Labour are scum.
That simply beggars belief. It was THEIR policy. But then when Labour councils are among those at the sharp edge of cutting services, it's hardly news. Name and shame.

Back
Top Bottom