Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Where are you on the transport network?

Lewisham.jpg

Rail replacement buses for some of the DLR today, in case you're intending to travel that way this weekend.

I really like Madrid airport, even though it takes an age to transfer from 4S to 4 and if you've booked a minimum connection you will 100% miss it.

Less impressed with Iberia though, last year had the only actual full-blown row with airline staff I have ever had as I was boarding a plane, they took my boarding pass and crossed my seat number out at the gate, when I asked wtf they affected not to speak English, got on the plane and sat in the seat and was asked to move so one of their off-duty pilots could have my seat. BB2 and Frau Bahn were in 1A&C, I was 1D, they said I could sit in 8D, still in business but away from my family, they also kindly offered me 1B, the empty seat which is the fucking point of business class. Normally I suck this shit up and grumble and tut under my breath, but actually came right out and said, "Your friggin' pilot mate can sit in sodding 8D, cheeky sods!" - oddly they suddenly understood English and asked me to calm down, the pilot prick sloped off to 8D. Honestly, what a way to carry on!

I really like Madrid airport, even though it takes an age to transfer from 4S to 4 and if you've booked a minimum connection you will 100% miss it.

Less impressed with Iberia though, last year had the only actual full-blown row with airline staff I have ever had as I was boarding a plane, they took my boarding pass and crossed my seat number out at the gate, when I asked wtf they affected not to speak English, got on the plane and sat in the seat and was asked to move so one of their off-duty pilots could have my seat. BB2 and Frau Bahn were in 1A&C, I was 1D, they said I could sit in 8D, still in business but away from my family, they also kindly offered me 1B, the empty seat which is the fucking point of business class. Normally I suck this shit up and grumble and tut under my breath, but actually came right out and said, "Your friggin' pilot mate can sit in sodding 8D, cheeky sods!" - oddly they suddenly understood English and asked me to calm down, the pilot prick sloped off to 8D. Honestly, what a way to carry on!
Ironically I was returning here after getting home to say what a fantastically good service I enjoyed from Iberia today :D

I guess the proof of the pudding in customer service excellence comes not from a seamless flight but when there are issues that you expect the airline to fix to your satisfaction. But still, as their short haul business class offerings go, today at least, IB was vastly superior in both personal service and meal availability than any BA short haul equivalent I have experienced.

I might be slightly partial towards my experience because this was a rare 100/100 rating flight: left the gate on time, arrived early, and throughout we had incredible late afternoon bright sunshine conditions including a perfect final approach through London following the Thames.

But then again, whereas BA has started using A320NEOs around, I always seem to get the old CEOs on the Madrid route, while IB always has brand new lovely NEOs with their ambient lighting and extra large luggage bins. Not to mention the large winglets, which provide excellent photo opportunities such as this today :)

IMG_6368.jpeg

ETA: and another massive win for IB over BA is that if business class is not full 24 hours before the flight, they will offer you an upgrade for €60 (vs £153+ for BA).

Last edited:
IB uses an A350 or A330 daily, flat beds, which if you can fit that schedule is well worth the business class experience.

All airlines have issues, had a massive issue with Air Canada earlier this year, similar to Iberia, but still didn't kick off, kicking off at airport staff/cabin crew rarely reaps rewards. Have told Air Canada's UK boss that am going to divert as much traffic from them as possible until I retire, tbf he agrees that this is fair. Since April I have denied them £72,000 of revenue, I keep a spreadsheet and will mail it to him annually. tbf I like to bear a grudge.

Back
Top Bottom