Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Where are you on the transport network?

Three forms of transport in one picture :thumbs:

View attachment 324119
Your post has prompted me to wonder what is the maximum number of different forms of transportation I have used on a single door-to-door journey (not including walking).

I can think of one when I managed a respectable 5 during a London to Madrid trip. Bicycle to Clapham Jct, train to Gatwick, plane to Barajas, metro to south Madrid, and bus to my mum’s.

Anyone done 6+?

One (northern hemisphere) winter, about ten years ago, when a lot of European airports got snowed in we had to wing it back to London... Bike and then helicopter into Cape Town. Taxi to the airport. Plane to Frankfurt (after much haggling to persuade them not to take us to Dubai instead). Bus to the terminal at FRA. Light rail into the city. ICE train to Brussels. Local train into France, but that got stuck so trudged to bar where got we offered a lift by car to next station. Then another train up to Calais. Lift off lorry driver to the port. Ferry to Dover. Train to London. Tube to Victoria. Coach home.

Shanghai Bedford. Seven.

Metro-Maglev(!)- airport people mover- Aeroplane-tube- Train - car (half a mile from the station)

7 if you allow the people mover and the car.

Plus Maglev!

This really needs its own thread and some agreement on basic definitions of a few things such as what counts as different modes and quite what counts as a single journey.

Very cool. Judging by the images on Google, they must be popular with peeping toms given how close they ride to buildings :D

Fourviere-Funicular-in-Lyon.jpg

And now we're on an Italian train from Lyon to Paris. It covers the distance in the same time as a TGV.View attachment 325159

One of the first instances of operator competition (controversially) introduced to the French rail network - no more monopoly for SNCF.

It'll have come from Milan and can actually do Milan-Paris faster than a TGV because it's allowed to use some high speed sections in Italy that the TGV isn't.

Coming back from Hove [actually]

Southern must have the crappiest 1st class of any operator, there's no door between 1st and the hoi polloi, the seats are the same, just crap.

SWR saw it and thought to themselves, "that's a fucking good idea" and have made their first 4 seats across when it was 3.

Back
Top Bottom