Votes: 27 10.0%
  • 55k-70k

Votes: 18 6.6%
  • 70k-100k

Votes: 15 5.5%
  • 100k+

Votes: 31 11.4%

• Total voters
I have a friend of a friend who comes from a very MC background. Worked his adult life as a famous DJ and producer, albeit in a niche. Always landed on his feet, got the obligatory large inheritance. Yet is slowly heading towards retirement with the funds largely gone with no provisions having been made.
I’m wondering if always having everything on a plate can be as detrimental as having to fight and save etc.

I have a friend of a friend who comes from a very MC background. Worked his adult life as a famous DJ and producer, albeit in a niche. Always landed on his feet, got the obligatory large inheritance. Yet is slowly heading towards retirement with the funds largely gone with no provisions having been made.
I’m wondering if always having everything on a plate can be as detrimental as having to fight and save etc.

How’s about I give the first one a go and get back to you with the results.

Funnily enough, the subject of being black-balled came up today in conversation.

Back in the day there was a man called Duncan Ferguson (served time for assaulting an opponent on the pitch) who played for Glasgow Rangers.

Someone was lunatic enough to put him up for membership of the Corkerhill Masonic Lodge in Glasgow.

Come the night of the vote to see whether he would be admitted, there wasn't room in the Lodge for all those who turned up, people who hadn't been seen for decades paid their Test fee so that they could vote. The queue was literally out the door.

Well, the votes were cast, the votes were counted, and he wasn't admitted. Reportedly he asked his sponsor 'Was there a black ball?', to which his sponsor replied 'Have you ever seen sheep shit?'

C&P saves time.

Funnily enough, the subject of being black-balled came up today in conversation.

Back in the day there was a man called Duncan Ferguson (served time for assaulting an opponent on the pitch) who played for Glasgow Rangers.

Someone was lunatic enough to put him up for membership of the Corkerhill Masonic Lodge in Glasgow.

Come the night of the vote to see whether he would be admitted, there wasn't room in the Lodge for all those who turned up, people who hadn't been seen for decades paid their Test fee so that they could vote. The queue was literally out the door.

Well, the votes were cast, the votes were counted, and he wasn't admitted. Reportedly he asked his sponsor 'Was there a black ball?', to which his sponsor replied 'Have you ever seen sheep shit?'. :D
I’d have thought he’d have fitted right in.

Most comfortably off people are perfectly capable of managing money to the extent they don’t run out of it. I don’t think your FoF can blame having money for their impending financial ills.

More and more you need to self advocate on orde to access any of the umbrella help or the safety net.

THatcher’s enterprise intititive scheme made a difference to a lot of people. The comparable things these days are either non existence, hidebound with things you have to prove and demonstrate or so invisible that no one knows about them.
That's all true. But we live in a society - nobody is 'self-made.'

Salary does start to fade into insignificance when people start throwing in housing costs. As someone said, born at the right time and you've got no mortgage left and your property has tripled in value, even if you had a normal salary. Whereas a normal salary in the last 10ish years and no chance of buying a property or getting a council flat (down south).

Not true. There’s a ponzI scheme aspect at the top end of creative art that relies on this stuff but there’s also a whole bunch of hard won hard scrabble starving in the squat art that happens when people sacrifice all the ladder climbing stuff. And that’s mainly men, cos women are doing the laundry and finding the bargain food to feed the family on at the expense of their own dreams.
I think we might be talking at cross purposes. I don't think cultural capital is about art.

Your average IT worker, even on low 6 figures, isn't in a position to hire anyone; they'd still be at the bottom of the totem pole. Just an overpaid industry in general.
Your average IT worker is definitely not on 6 figures. I've met a few head of IT people who get that sort of salary in the city but must of the people who are earning big money in IT are sales and company director types.

I think we might be talking at cross purposes. I don't think cultural capital is about art.

You mean access to (foreign) travel and holidays elsewhere, activities extra to work/school, hobbies that need implements and accoutrement, clobber chosen for style?

That relies on cash and leisure too.

The daily grind, the rat race, the Office Dragon, Christmas Party, Scolding Email, water cooler moments, missing life events and doing overtime instead, the groaning response of “what’s left of it… “ when someone says “have a good weekend“…. all that is cultural capital too but it’s the culture of capitalism.

Or do you mean the cultural capital that comes from tribe : lingo, social connections, points of reference etc. That’s more nebulous albeit still arguably culture. Bonobos and meerkats have that stuff too.

You mean access to (foreign) travel and holidays elsewhere, activities extra to work/school, hobbies that need implements and accoutrement, clobber chosen for style?

The daily grind, the rat race, the Office Dragon, Christmas Party, Scolding Email, water cooler moments, missing life events and doing overtime instead, the groaning response of “what’s left of it… “ when someone says “have a good weekend“…. all that is cultural capital too but it’s the culture of capitalism.

Or do you mean the cultural capital that comes from tribe : lingo, social connections, points of reference etc. That’s more nebulous albeit still arguably culture. Bonobos and meerkats have that stuff too.
There's interplay between economic, social, and cultural capital. What I mean by the latter is the sort of stuff in your last para - the social mores that help some people to 'progress.'

Last edited:

The last paragraph is (roughly) what cultural capital is. It's a well-known term. It's not directly connected to money, leisure time or anything like that.

I guess knowing the term is sort of a sign of having some cultural capital, though TBF I wouldn't have thought I had more of that than you do.

seconded for the Plum app. nearly always cash it in but it's a brilliant app for saving. the weekly round up thing is great.

has anyone used the investing part of it?

I used to make 40+k doing a job I absolutely hated. Now I am a smidgen over 30k in a job that means a lot more to me (even when I hate it I still believe it's something that needs doing, whereas I essentially disagreed with the existence of my old job). Also, when I was on 40k my partner was making okay money as a travel agent; she's now a full-time carer on benefits. We're actually slightly better off because we no longer need to pay through the nose for childcare.

Your average IT worker is definitely not on 6 figures. I've met a few head of IT people who get that sort of salary in the city but must of the people who are earning big money in IT are sales and company director types.
Anyone working in IT for a company you've heard of is making at least 100k, even developers and designers.

Back
Top Bottom