Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's the stupidest thing you've done this pandemic?

I went on holiday to Kos in August. That was a big risk.

I went to the Albert and got shitfaced with everyone mingling and shouting.

I visited friends to give their youngster a gift.

Work. Picking the daughter up and taking her to the park with her mates(usually all from her class) after school , taking her to the skatepark on her scooter and letting her go to ger physically distanced dance class. I went for a few runs where I turned a corner and ended up in a crowd but that was mainly in the summer lull. A week before lockdown one competed in a gig race. 7 in a boat, 3 in a car and hundreds on the shore. Nightmare stuff. There were very few infections down here at that point. Had one drink in a near empty beer garden in July because it was my sons 18th. Just us and a few youngsters around the corner. Went to a local caravan park in October for a weekend. After badgering swam once in the pool and had breakfast in an empty and massive restaurant. This was instead of the two trips to Butlins we had booked this year.

I've not done anything really stupid - I'm very boring. Ocassionally had to rub my face when out to deal with an itch, but always kept my fingers away from my eyes. Only went out for food shopping and one or two medical appointments.

Working in retail though there's not much I can do about that in the short term.

One train journey I took had maskless loons running up and down the aisles yelling about the Plandemic, common law etc. That journey wasn't absolutely 100% necessary.

Went into town to meet a client (who happens to be a jetsetting model) - outbound journey was ok - home journey was a jam packed tube and I was freaking out a bit, yes. My meeting was in the clients rented apartment but I couldn't really social distance as I was doing fittings with them. They'd flown to several European countries in the month before I'd met them. Less than a week later I was up North tending to my elderly father - no way could I social distance because I had to keep picking him up off the floor. I absolutely shat myself at the risk I might be putting him at. I've had only four meetings since this pandemic began. If can avoid it I don't have meetings, but sometimes you have to get your tape measure and materials out and it can't be done virtually. I've only been on that one return tube journey since March -we drive everywhere instead. Same client has flown to five countries since I met with them but I can't see them coming back here what with the current restrictions.

Delivering music workshops one on one at a mental health hospital
Doing sound at a small acoustic gig twice in December, small attendance but no ventilation
Shopping when it's not quiet but I tend to avoid this

Got myself downgraded from extremely clinically vulnerable so I could go back to work.

All good because I actually like my job, and they were very relaxed and accommodating when I went back to work (I’d also been on full pay the whole time). Except this time round in the latest lockdown they’ve become a bit unreasonable and want me to do more or less my normal hours when I said I’d rather not be around people, and I feel like the efforts I put in earlier and all the extra hours I did getting things sorted out lately haven’t really been recognised.

Went to the pub the night they closed in March. :facepalm: I was aware that it wasn't a sensible thing to do, but at that stage didn't appreciate how not sensible.

You're not the only one :oops:-- I think the last date open for pubs was Friday 20th March.

Myself and 4 friends were in Bristol that Friday, and in one of the very few pubs that remained open -- apparantly, the vast majority of Bristol pubs had closed the Wednesday or Thursday before that.

The one we were in was ultra-quiet thankfully, but ..... not smart of us at all :oops: :oops: :(

I was pretty damned sensible after that, but still! :thumbsdown:

Spent two weeks in Paris over Christmas mainly just walking around the city. But to be honest it would have been even stupider to come back to the UK. It worked out well. Negative test before I left France :)
I loved just walking round Paris (25 years ago now though) - did you see Monmartre?

The risky thing felt like a small party in August but it was overtaken by (within the rules) seeing 3 generations of my family later and 3 days later had covid (not classic symptoms -didnt realise until they showed up) and spent the fortnight worried I'd infected everyone.

Told my anxious 80+mother in early February that she shouldn't panic about it because 'there are epidemics all the time and look at SARS and MERS, nasty stuff but it all got sorted out reasonably quickly' :facepalm: (I'm a moron and obviously recant this 100%)

Broke full clinically-vulnerable house arrest to do my own (distanced, disinfected) shopping once, because I live alone, no supermarket would give me a delivery slot even though I was 'on the list' and I got unbearably bored with / repulsed by tinned food (was on chemo at the time)

I also went to the pub on March 20th. Didnt stay long, just a couple of grim-faced drinks with colleagues, but I had had 'a bit of a cold'(that had been doing the rounds of our London office :hmm: ) all week. The next day it turned into fever and cough, and I was sick for a week with what was probably Covid. Sorry anyone who caught it off me, although tbh London was one big petri dish by then anyway.

Hugged a friend at a funeral in the summer. I don’t regret it as it felt totally right but it’s the only risky thing I’ve done. We started social distancing early March as a family member was seriously ill and cases started being reported locally. We’ve had to maintain since due to immunosupressed family. Have barely seen anyone since March :/

Back
Top Bottom