Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

I was supposed to be doing a sort of mini-roast dinner tonight with some chicken thighs from the freezer but I forgot to get them out and put them in the fridge before I went to bed last night, so they aren't defrosted yet :D

So instead we will be having an emergency stand in meal of pasta puttanesca with salad and garlic bread :)

I've gone all experimental for this evening's back-of-the-cupboard cooking challenge. Having been binge-watching Time Team recently I've gone for a distinctly Iron Age theme, with wild boar, vegetable and barley stew, and oatcakes.

Obviously the wild boar is actually bacon offcuts, the vegetables we have now are nothing like those available a couple of millennia ago and I'm cooking the stew in the slow cooker, but heigh-ho!

tmp-cam-4104577587526537993.jpg

Note the authentic iron age crockery and charming period-piece keyboard. It was very nice though!

would basmati rice work or does that have too little starch?

Nowhere near right for a paella IMO, you want something with a fairly short and chunky grain that can withstand getting a bit crispy on the bottom of the pan but not quite as starchy as risotto varieties (which is what I ended up using and hence ended up with something that was halfway to a risotto).

I love basmati but it's quite dry and delicate with a distinct flavour - not really suitable for that sort of dish. Now steamed plain and served with a curry or turned into pilau/pilaf or a biriyani now that is where it really shines. :)

The puttanesca was good, as an experiment we did it with conchiglie which we had loads of. I liked it as the shells tend to cup an olive or a caper which made it fun and tasty to eat, Nate wasn't so keen as he missed the "slurp" factor from long pasta in that sauce. I think I will carry on getting buccatini for that meal, our local independent Turkish supermarket usually has the stuff in stock and it is fun and gives great slurp :D

Tonight I am going to be baking my chicken thighs which should be fully defrosted by now (and if they aren't then I need a new fridge LOL).

Tuna steak for him.

Roast spuds, yorkshire pud (I have plain flour!), stuffing, broccoli, gravy, I might do myself a pig in a blanket as the chicken thighs are quite small, and I think I have some boiled parsnips in the freezer which I can roast.

Back
Top Bottom