Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What stupid shit has Trump done today?

Just read this resignation letter from the Surpreme Court Bar from a judge in Hawaii:

The Chief Justice of the United States

One First Street, N.E.

Washington, D.C. 20543

March 11, 2020

Dear Chief Justice Roberts:

I hereby resign my membership in the Supreme Court Bar.

This was not an easy decision. I have been a member of the Supreme Court Bar since 1972, far longer than you have, and appeared before the Court, both in person and on briefs, on several occasions as Deputy and First Deputy Attorney General of Hawaii before being appointed as a Hawaii District Court judge in 1986. I have a high regard for the work of the Federal Judiciary and taught the Federal Courts course at the University of Hawaii Richardson School of Law for a decade in the 1980s and 1990s. This due regard spanned the tenures of Chief Justices Warren, Burger, and Rehnquist before your appointment and confirmation in 2005. I have not always agreed with the Court’s decisions, but until recently I have generally seen them as products of mainstream legal reasoning, whether liberal or conservative. The legal conservatism I have respected– that of, for example, Justice Lewis Powell, Alexander Bickel or Paul Bator– at a minimum enshrined the idea of stare decisis and eschewed the idea of radical change in legal doctrine for political ends.

I can no longer say that with any confidence. You are doing far more— and far worse– than “calling balls and strikes.” You are allowing the Court to become an “errand boy” for an administration that has little respect for the rule of law.

The Court, under your leadership and with your votes, has wantonly flouted established precedent. Your “conservative” majority has cynically undermined basic freedoms by hypocritically weaponizing others. The ideas of free speech and religious liberty have been transmogrified to allow officially sanctioned bigotry and discrimination, as well as to elevate the grossest forms of political bribery beyond the ability of the federal government or states to rationally regulate it. More than a score of decisions during your tenure have overturned established precedents—some more than forty years old– and you voted with the majority in most. There is nothing “conservative” about this trend. This is radical “legal activism” at its worst.

Without trying to write a law review article, I believe that the Court majority, under your leadership, has become little more than a result-oriented extension of the right wing of the Republican Party, as vetted by the Federalist Society. Yes, politics has always been a factor in the Court’s history, but not to today’s extent. Even routine rules of statutory construction get subverted or ignored to achieve transparently political goals. The rationales of “textualism” and “originalism” are mere fig leaves masking right wing political goals; sheer casuistry.

Your public pronouncements suggest that you seem concerned about the legitimacy of the Court in today’s polarized environment. We all should be. Yet your actions, despite a few bromides about objectivity, say otherwise.

It is clear to me that your Court is willfully hurtling back to the cruel days of Lochner and even Plessy. The only constitutional freedoms ultimately recognized may soon be limited to those useful to wealthy, Republican, White, straight, Christian, and armed males— and the corporations they control. This is wrong. Period. This is not America.

I predict that your legacy will ultimately be as diminished as that of Chief Justice Melville Fuller, who presided over both Plessy and Lochner. It still could become that of his revered fellow Justice John Harlan the elder, an honest conservative, but I doubt that it will. Feel free to prove me wrong.

The Supreme Court of the United States is respected when it wields authority and not mere power. As has often been said, you are infallible because you are final, but not the other way around.

I no longer have respect for you or your majority, and I have little hope for change. I can’t vote you out of office because you have life tenure, but I can withdraw whatever insignificant support my Bar membership might seem to provide.

Please remove my name from the rolls.

With deepest regret,

James Dannenberg

He doesn't mince words, does he?

Gods, no. Could you imagine it? Conspiracy theories would break the internet and he'd be canonized instantly. Much as I loathe the man, I'd rather see him defeated in the elections or finally shamed/brought to justice.

I must admit, if I had the power to choose between him being indicted, dying/assassinated, or being trounced in November, I'd definitely choose the latter.

Trounced followed by a lingering, slow death in the subsequent wave of the virus?

Even if he loses, it's scary to think what a defeated President Trump would do in the lame-duck 2.5 months between Election Day and leaving office, and Mike Pence wouldn't be any better - ideally, the shock of defeat and knowing he will go down in history as a loser will lead to him being incapacitated by illness between November and January. If he dies around Jan. 18, that will give them 48 hours to disinfect the White House before his successor arrives.

I'm listening to Trump live and once again, I find myself screaming at the feed. At the beginning I thought "maybe he's finally getting it," when he was read from a prepared statement Then, with his next breath, he blames Mexican migrants for bringing the virus to the US. There's no evidence of that and quite a bit of evidence to the contrary. So is it the Mexicans or the Chinese? Then, he speaks about unscientific solutions that aren't proven and even if they pan out, won't be available for a long time. After that he tore into a reporter who asked a perfectly reasonable question. A skilled politician could take that question and turn it into a chance to unite people. Every time he speaks he divides and causes chaos when we need people to be united. After that everyone else lines up to kiss his massive ass. Fuck this guy. Fuck him. Fuck him. Fuck him.

<edited to add>
I'm not generally prone to ranting, so that's my rant for the day. :)

Last edited:
His response to the journalists questions is eerrr your all too close... your sitting to close ... we need to get rid of more of you .. we could have just 3 or 4 of you ... the ones that I like

WTAF

Alexander had also asked Trump about whether he was giving people “false hope” because of his tendency to put a “positive spin” on thing, including in the use of a drug already on the market to treat the virus. Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. Fauci said that there was “no magic drug,” while Trump said that he disagreed and “let’s see if it works. It might and it might not.”

It was pretty amusing when the dear leader pretended not to recognise Sean Spicer at that briefing. But then I remembered that he is demented, so he probably genuinely didn’t recognise Spicer.

He is revealing his malign, vengeful and bitter self with every day which passes. No matter how much some dingbat in Arsewipe County, Ohio gets a thrill from 'sticking it to the libtards', Trump's obvious spite filled lunacy is not going to cut the mustard for long. We can see him breaking apart before our eyes. Grimly fascinating and not easily spun up into palatable guff for the credulous... when he messily, publicly implodes before all our eyes.

In the new poll, 55% of Americans approve of the president’s management of the crisis, compared to 43% who disapprove. Trump’s approval on this issue is up from last week, when the numbers were nearly reversed. Only 43% approved of Trump’s handling of the pandemic and 54% disapproved in last week’s poll.

All it took was a week for a lot of people to forget Trump’s early mismanagement. He just had to adopt a slightly more serious tone and he was forgiven. It’s truly amazing, but not much different from what I predicted a week ago.

How his approval rating could be up while his own advisors roll their eyes and facepalm behind him is beyond me.

Last edited:
ETmUbQ4XQAAnBvx

Back
Top Bottom