Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What little things have you done

Is there an opportunity at wherever you buy your coffee to bring your own, reusable mug? I believe such things and such offers exist, although I couldn't tell you where.

Is there an opportunity at wherever you buy your coffee to bring your own, reusable mug? I believe such things and such offers exist, although I couldn't tell you where.
Everywhere that has a self-service coffee machine. They'd have a job making you put it back.
I'd guess most places would do it on request. They'd have to be proper jobsworth nobs not to.

Everywhere that has a self-service coffee machine. They'd have a job making you put it back.
I'd guess most places would do it on request. They'd have to be proper jobsworth nobs not to.
Maybe that's where a version of the plastic bag tax could come in. 10p off, say, if you bring your own cup.

Maybe that's where a version of the plastic bag tax could come in. 10p off, say, if you bring your own cup.
I'd like to extend that to baked beans in supermarkets :D
Well, maybe not perishable foods but detergents and the likes. Buy by weight/volume. I reckon the first to do it will make a killing. Far less transportation costs, but no doubt they'll push the green aspect and raise their prices accordingly.

I started eating better which must have some effect on the environment, but I have to find a variety of vegs, already fed up to the back teeth with carrots and broccoli! :(

Im going to carshare my new car with someone else. One less car on the road.

Ive been saving up the biodegradable not-plastic bags that my weekly veg box salads come in so I can use them in my lil' food waste bin.

I declined a plastic lid on take away coffee last weekend :cool:

Im getting all my "new" crap second hand or off Freecycle when I move place next month.

I've always liked the advice of the tory MP who only shaved or washed in the dark, one or the other can't remember.

I own three air conditioners and Whenever the restaurant is closed I put them outdoors on full power. Just doing my bit to cool the environment

It so can be done, it's really annoying. It's a really popular thing to love the environment, It's so weird man, when you think about it

Well, maybe not perishable foods but detergents and the likes. Buy by weight/volume. I reckon the first to do it will make a killing. Far less transportation costs, but no doubt they'll push the green aspect and raise their prices accordingly.
There are shops around which sell stuff loose - not just fruit & veg. Google "Zero Waste Shops" and you'll find loads. We have one here but, as you suggested they really push the green and ethical side of things so the prices tend to be high.

Having said that, I think you can take your own containers to some supermarkets to use at the fresh fish/meat and deli counters.

ETA: here's the website for our local one: Pedricks Zero Waste

I suspect a systematic change forced by the government would be more effective and quicker than letting the market decide. Maybe that's a discussion better suited to the policy thread.

Let's see ... quite a lot of environmentally friendly things.

Planted over 200 trees and shrubs a few years ago to turn an area into a wild wood, that also provides some shelter from the north and east winds [which helps protect the house from wind chill].
[Some of the faster growing trees have shaded out others, which - having seasoned standing - will provide firewood this winter. Some thinning may take place this winter]

Recycle or reuse what glass, plastic containers and cardboard that I can.

Home compost as much as I can - then spread the results on my garden.
I don't normally use commercial fertilisers & pesticides - also grow bee & butterfly friendly native plants.
Have put up over 50 nest-boxes, I must replace most of the first batch, so need to build over 30 and "service" the rest.

Have barely used the car for months ... I don't have access to local public transport in winter [In summer there is a tourist route nearby] ... used to use rail for longer distances when possible. Last time I flew anywhere was more than two decades ago, I even went to Poland by train in 2009. Basically semi-retired now, which means the long commute has ceased (2 x 80 mile / day) and has been replaced by one of less than 2 miles to my local workshop. In any case, I mostly WFH on admin ...

Covid precautions have made us have food etc delivered, which had made us more economical by reducing food waste, stopping frequent journeys to the shops and we now have started a small winter weather stockpile.

Changed windows to reduce drafts [& fitted double glazing]. New(-ish) doors ditto. Upgraded loft insulation and will need to do something with the cavity & underfloor insulation [would help if there was a suitable grant].
Tried to get solar panels, but the roof angle was too flat for both of the installations companies I tried. Without the grants, I can't afford it atm. Thinking about a wind mini-turbine. Problem with these two is planning permission as I live in a national park & world heritage site !

Unfortunately, I have tanked LPG for cooking & heating. The boiler is a condensing combi, relatively new & efficient.
The hot water tank has solid insulation, but it's getting an additional (thin) jacket next month.
We also have two 90gal cold water tanks [long story, due to supply problems] and they'll get more insulation if needed
Have just changed the shower for a more efficient model - it takes the HW from the combi-boiler, I rarely use the bath.

Not on mains drainage so have to be environmentally friendly otherwise it is expensive to "re-start" the septic tank - actually, the tank is so old that the description is a bit optimistic. The outflow system was "serviced" this year and now works. The inflow pipes were repaired & cased from the inside three years ago - the farmer drove a tractor over it and the weight partially crushed the pipe. In the fullness of time, I would like a digester, but the tank isn't on my land and is in a field across a quite busy road.

I got a new combi boiler earlier this year, replacing what what I think was nearly 20 years old. I'm therefore fairly certain the new one is more efficient, not least only heating the fairly minimal hot water I need. It's definitely a lot quieter than the old one.

I did think about an electric one, as I'm with a green supplier. However the fact that electricity was four times the price of gas at the time prohibited that.

Any thoughts on electric ovens? I noticed that moochedit mentioned theirs on the heat pump thread.

I got a new gas one just over 5 years ago, and use it once a week for around 2 hours. My electricity is from a green supplier, although they claim a tony proportion of their gas supply is green too.

Any thoughts on electric ovens? I noticed that moochedit mentioned theirs on the heat pump thread.

I got a new gas one just over 5 years ago, and use it once a week for around 2 hours. My electricity is from a green supplier, although they claim a tony proportion of their gas supply is green too.

I've never had any problems with it. Not sure how it compares utility bill wise.

If it has a fan inside you can normally cook at a slightly lower temp than one without a fan although i don't know if that saves electricity or not.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom