Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is this bush/tree/plant?

Shore pine, Pinus contorta.

Very difficult to tell without looking at the number of needles (between 2-5 usually) on each foliage cluster.
Could equally be the stone pine - pinus pinea...Any way of counting how many needles emerge from each individual needle cluster?
Um, I grow pinus contorta myself (aka lodgepole pine) so will go and check on the needle count.

Last edited:
B9933167-0170-40CF-9F8A-FF7DC0FA89C9.jpeg BED3761C-9ACA-404A-824B-909BD99DB368.jpeg 9F098284-97A8-4257-A38E-28BC4B48AD2F.jpeg C413AD18-6A69-46D2-90E0-592DB7CA5FA1.jpeg 3C765BCC-DAA2-40F9-A1C6-9A5532643586.jpeg

Could someone please ID this tree for me please?

Growing in the street in Brixton.

The seed casings are all over the grojnd, I assume they’re last year’s waste but I can’t see any blossoms or baby seeds on the tree. It’s quite tall, no lower boughs, so they may all be out of view.

I could only find one leaf to photograph, and it’s got some damage but I reckon if someone knows the tree it will be apparent.

I’ve also included a photo of the bark too.

Thanks Urban x

HAving googled it all by myself :facepalm::rolleyes: why didn’t I do that earlier....

I think it could be Paulownia tomentosa.... Empress tree.

Apparently it’s considered a bit of a pest in North America.

The blossom looks lovely in the google gallery, I’ll be sure to go back and visit in blossom season.

HAving googled it all by myself :facepalm::rolleyes: why didn’t I do that earlier....

I think it could be Paulownia tomentosa.... Empress tree.

Apparently it’s considered a bit of a pest in North America.

The blossom looks lovely in the google gallery, I’ll be sure to go back and visit in blossom season.

Ah if you'd snapped the blossoms I'd have been in there, there's one growing near me and nearly fell off my bike first time I saw it. It's like a tree covered in foxgloves.

Ah if you'd snapped the blossoms I'd have been in there, there's one growing near me and nearly fell off my bike first time I saw it. It's like a tree covered in foxgloves.

It is also called the foxglove tree!

I’ll definitely make a point to go back and look at it in blossom season. It’s on the street I don’t usually go along.

Apparently, it’s used to treat hair loss and graying hair, as well as other things.

It is also called the foxglove tree!

I’ll definitely make a point to go back and look at it in blossom season. It’s on the street I don’t usually go along.

Apparently, it’s used to treat hair loss and graying hair, as well as other things.

Yeah its how I found it first time, just googled foxglove tree. Apparently they used to plant it when a girl was born then make a dresser out of it when she married at 16, 18 or what have you.

Yeah its how I found it first time, just googled foxglove tree. Apparently they used to plant it when a girl was born then make a dresser out of it when she married at 16, 18 or what have you.

A dresser? Like a hope chest or something? To keep her linens and frocks in?

Not eeen this with flowers before, a widespread ground creeping weed outside

A20756CB-CF4A-4C80-BCF9-072610BF69A8.jpeg

This is something I’ve planted I think but I’m buggered if I remember what, nothing much came up on the pot so it might just be a weed.

50B2DDC7-6704-4B1D-AC61-3E43D794D869.jpeg

Not eeen this with flowers before, a widespread ground creeping weed outside

View attachment 142249

This is something I’ve planted I think but I’m buggered if I remember what, nothing much came up on the pot so it might just be a weed.

View attachment 142250
Top one looks like part of the yarrow family. Same leaves.
Bottom one looks like willow herb family. Maybe great willowherb.
Sorry if a bit vague.

First one is achillea (millefolium).
Second one...well definitely in the labiatae family for sure...so yep, could be a salvia or stachys, skullcap, teucrium. betony et al. Will get my field guides out.

OK, the pink tends me to look at clinopodium vulgare, aka wild basil. Having not much idea of scale, it is hard to get a feel for the actual size of the corolla...or even the overall plant.

Last edited:
First one is achillea (millefolium).
Second one...well definitely in the labiatae family for sure...so yep, could be a salvia or stachys, skullcap, teucrium. betony et al. Will get my field guides out.

OK, the pink tends me to look at clinopodium vulgare, aka wild basil. Having not much idea of scale, it is hard to get a feel for the actual size of the corolla...or even the overall plant.

Yeah I'd just figured it out, yes it's wild basil! Good work.

Rummaged through my seed packets and gave it a sniff :D

Rescued from an office...I think it might be treeish though?
Need to find out if it can survive outside in a potIMG_20180801_124354.jpg

IMG_20180801_124349.jpg

Back
Top Bottom