Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

Nope. Not really seen that many Norwegian movies over the last 6-7 years. Only the silly ones like Troll Hunter and maybe a couple more serious ones, like O'Horten. I've heard decent reports on it tho. Was a massive case at the time, was probably the first "proper" armed bank robbery/stand off in Norway for a long, long time.

Nope. Not really seen that many Norwegian movies over the last 6-7 years. Only the silly ones like Troll Hunter and maybe a couple more serious ones, like O'Horten. I've heard decent reports on it tho. Was a massive case at the time, was probably the first "proper" armed bank robbery/stand off in Norway for a long, long time.
Shall report back tmw

(O'Horten is great bw)

Are you going to tell us what DVD/video you watched recently or just disrupt this thread 'cos if it is the latter stop it, it's boring for the rest of us.

Hee, sorry, it was too good a chance to miss.

"Everything Must Go." Interesting, if only because it's the only Hollywood film I can remember without a happy ending. Based on a Raymond Chandler story apparently.

The39thStep said:
Attack the Block- very enjoyable light wieght romp ( which is what you need after a few too many beers) but I couldn't find any redeeming qualities in that little gang at all.

I half watched this and agree :)

I half watched this and agree :)

I thought it was a great romp, amusing with it. And managed to make a group of horrible little shits come across as redeemable. No small feat that, to introduce a group of theiving little shites who attack the english rose and then get the audience to be cheering for them by the end.

Probably needs aliens with glowing teeth to make it work

The Black Power Mixtape...not seen any mention of this here but it's a worthy urban recommendation. Footage from swedish film makers of those involved in the black power movement 1967-75. Some interesting and previously unseen stuff.

Meek's Cutoff...Not sure why I downloaded this, I'm not really a fan of westerns but then it's not a typical western, or a typical film come to think of it. Shot in 4:3, not much happens and the end is one to leave anyone guessing but I couldn't say I disliked it.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has seen it what they thought of the end, although I'd stop short of recommending it as one to watch; it won't be to the taste of everyone I suspect.

Do you love the cinema? If so, I happened upon a treat.

It's called 'Soi Cuba', I Am Cuba. It was made in 1963, a Cuban/Soviet collaboration. The Cubans and Soviets didn't like it: they thought it was too bourgeois. One of the writers is Yevgeny Yevtushenko.

It's a propaganda piece; but visually, it is perhaps one of the most stunning films ever made. It totally blew me away. It was resurrected by Scorsese and Coppola a couple of decades ago, and you can see its influence in their work.

If you love the cinema, this film is a must-see.

It's called 'Soi Cuba', I Am Cuba. It was made in 1963, a Cuban/Soviet collaboration. The Cubans and Soviets didn't like it: they thought it was too bourgeois. One of the writers is Yevgeny Yevtushenko.

It's a propaganda piece; but visually, it is perhaps one of the most stunning films ever made. It totally blew me away. It was resurrected by Scorsese and Coppola a couple of decades ago, and you can see its influence in their work.

I've had this queued up for ages (a 3 disc set). It seemed quite daunting, but I'll give it a whirl

Mikhail Kalatozov, one of the great directors of the Thaw even though he'd been making films for years before that period and was getting old then, unlike the fresh faces appearing. It's didactic (but then a lot of Soviet cinema was), but I love the scene where the Communist students petrol bomb the drive-in cinema.

drivein.jpg

If you want more Kalatozov from the same period, then in pointing to the obvious, you need to see his earlier The Cranes are Flying. Putting what he had learned in the 1920s and 30s to use years later, and while dealing with things like rape, grief and attempted suicide in an overly melodramatic way, it looks damn fine.

It looks a bit corny these days--the scene where the prostitute's vision starts swirling around etc--but it was a landmark of its day for sure.

It looks a bit corny these days--the scene where the prostitute's vision starts swirling around etc--but it was a landmark of its day for sure.

Not every frame can be an award winner, but I think much of it stands the test of time. I'd stack the opening sequence leading up to the interior bar sequence, against the intro to any other film. And modern day audiences seem to like it: it scores 100% with critics on Rotten Tomatoes, and 91% in the non-pro audience vote.

I watched Went the Day Well ?, a British 40s war/propaganda film about the Nazis invading a small English village. Never seen it before, but I thought it was fantastic. It's a really exciting thriller and I loved the sight of little old ladies in tweed going all badass against the enemy.

I watched Went the Day Well ?, a British 40s war/propaganda film about the Nazis invading a small English village. Never seen it before, but I thought it was fantastic. It's a really exciting thriller and I loved the sight of little old ladies in tweed going all badass against the enemy.
Great film, possibly Ealing's most serious. Cavalcanti also did the very memorable Ventriloquists dummy segment of Dead of Night and the fantastic They Made me a Fugitive. Interesting bloke.

Mikhail Kalatozov, one of the great directors of the Thaw even though he'd been making films for years before that period and was getting old then, unlike the fresh faces appearing. It's didactic (but then a lot of Soviet cinema was), but I love the scene where the Communist students petrol bomb the drive-in cinema.

drivein.jpg

If you want more Kalatozov from the same period, then in pointing to the obvious, you need to see his earlier The Cranes are Flying. Putting what he had learned in the 1920s and 30s to use years later, and while dealing with things like rape, grief and attempted suicide in an overly melodramatic way, it looks damn fine.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Plus it has a very young Thora Hird in it.

X-men: First Class - pretty good, decent action scenes, felt a bit rushed though. Great performance from Fassbender.

Fast Five - as ridiculous as you'd expect, The Rock neck-snapping a hapless henchman being a highlight :D

Got the True Grit remake lined up for this afternoon.

The Black Power Mixtape...not seen any mention of this here but it's a worthy urban recommendation. Footage from swedish film makers of those involved in the black power movement 1967-75. Some interesting and previously unseen stuff.

Meek's Cutoff...Not sure why I downloaded this, I'm not really a fan of westerns but then it's not a typical western, or a typical film come to think of it. Shot in 4:3, not much happens and the end is one to leave anyone guessing but I couldn't say I disliked it.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has seen it what they thought of the end, although I'd stop short of recommending it as one to watch; it won't be to the taste of everyone I suspect.

have you come across a decent copy of Black Power Mixtape subbed? All the torrents i dig up are not subbed

Back
Top Bottom