Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

Tropic Thunder - vaguely amusing comedy, redeemed by RDJ

A State of Mind - 2004 doc following 2 young NK gymnasts preparing for the mass games in Pyongyang; fascinating look at the effort that goes into such a spectacle and the family lives of the 2 families.

I watched Went the Day Well ?, a British 40s war/propaganda film about the Nazis invading a small English village. Never seen it before, but I thought it was fantastic. It's a really exciting thriller and I loved the sight of little old ladies in tweed going all badass against the enemy.

great film that, i stumbled across it one afternoon on tv some years back.......trully chilling

I've deleted it so not sure but I'm sure it was from demonoid

e2a: maybe I'm not allowed to post that in public, will pm

aye, flawless copy with subs there. An interesting overview- the prison interview with angela davis was particularly scathing. Very much an overview, but a good overview none the less. Sought this out after watching a docu on the murder of Fred Hampton, and related readings about cointelpro and the naked shocking repression the US state put on the militant poor/black.

Land of the fucking free.

The Borgias. Two different series. One with Jeremy Irons as the pope; and a European-made series with the closeted gay police captain from The Wire as the pope.

I enjoyed the European version more. For one thing, they used Italian actors instead of British actors with British accents pretending to be Italians. The European version was earthier; closer to what I imagine the 15th century might have been like.

But the NA version has its merits, including the acting skills of Jeremy Irons.

Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - Cracking good fun as long as you ignore all the massively obvious facepalm moments.

The Skin I Live In - Probably the best thing I've seen in 2011. The story is superb with just the right amount of WTF thrown in. I kept thinking all the way through that Antonio Banderas would make a good Bond. Don't let that put you off though.

Transit. US pilots ferrying planes from Alaska to a Siberian (or Chukotka Peninsula) airbase, the commander of which is a bit mental, in a bad way. Some good jokes and that. The soviet internal affairs investigator is a fantastic character but the americans can't act which is a bit of a distraction. From the director of Cuckoo.

Winter In Wartime. Dutch teenager tries to help downed pilot. It poses some interesting questions about the nature of collaboration, but has a peculiar whiff about it and contains fairly strong anti-communist sentiment.

Trailer Park of Terror: Silly but entertaining 'horror' flick that may have been intended as a satire on people's prejudices against trailer-park folk. Probably not though...

Little Shop of Horrors: Can't believe I got to the ripe old age of 45 without seeing it before. Good, deranged fun with Steve Martin's sadistic dentist every bit as good as I'd heard.

E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial: One of my favourite Spielberg films; I still think it's brilliant.

The Borgias. Two different series. One with Jeremy Irons as the pope; and a European-made series with the closeted gay police captain from The Wire as the pope.

I enjoyed the European version more. For one thing, they used Italian actors instead of British actors with British accents pretending to be Italians. The European version was earthier; closer to what I imagine the 15th century might have been like.

But the NA version has its merits, including the acting skills of Jeremy Irons.

Enjoyed the Jeremy Irons one a lot, have got the european one on torrent now.

Powder - based on the book by Kevin Sampson. I remember liking the book, it's about an indie band. The film is the worst thing I've seen for quite a long time. Most of the story is incomprehensible. You can't emphasize with any of the characters as they are so shallow and the moody shots of the lead singer just got really annoying.

It was a choice between this or a 2 hour propaganda film about the Chinese revolution. I think we chose wrong. :facepalm:

Cool. My chief love of the US version was that snub nosed wiry little assasin with his garrotte and his complete lack of anything resembling a conscience. What I could do with a few men such as that...

Re: earthy, that would be my chief complaint about the US version. Medieval italy never looked that smooth!

Am going to watch ep 1 of the Canal+ one inna minute.

happy new year

Cool. My chief love of the US version was that snub nosed wiry little assasin with his garrotte and his complete lack of anything resembling a conscience. What I could do with a few men such as that...

Re: earthy, that would be my chief complaint about the US version. Medieval italy never looked that smooth!

Am going to watch ep 1 of the Canal+ one inna minute.

happy new year

It's actually 'the Canadian version'. It's a CTV production, and parts of it were filmed here in Vancouver.

And a Happy New Year to you as well.

Back
Top Bottom