Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

oh, and I also saw The Modern Antiquarian on YouTube. I'm no fan of Julian Cope, but this is (unintentionally) hilarious. Cope, dressed as an early 90s outdoors raver, visits a bunch of old monoliths and dolmens and barrows, whilst staying at Travel Lodges (he doesn't like B&Bs - 'just give me the keys, bitch'), and encounters various Reeves & Mortimer style oddballs on the way. He rambles on about the stones in a semi-mystical but quite informative way. If Alan Partidge had gone to Glastonbury in the early 70s and dropped acid, he'd have been Julian Cope.
I hate to 'like' that post, but I have to. How the fuck Saint Julian convinced anyone to let him make that 'documentary' is a mystery. It is funny, but does have at least three real facts in it as well! Great stuff

Bo A Belguim film about sum 15 yr old girl who becomes a prostitute! Not bad an not brilliant but worth a watch. Laura Ballyn is pretty good as the lead character in it. No reviews on imdb so yer gonna have ta watch it an make yer own mind up! Eh/

Coup de Torchon - French adaptation of Jim Thompson's Pop. 1280. Really excellent, I've never read any of Thompson's work (despite trying to get it from the rubbish local library) so I don't know how close it is to the novel. The film is as much a black comedy as crime film, with a feeling of fatalism running all the way through it. The only member of the cast I'm familiar with is Isabelle Huppert (playing the central characters mistress) but they're all good. I can definitely recommend it.

ETA: Just seen that it's directed by Bertrand Tavernier who also directed The Princess of Montpensier

Mary Poppins. Probably the best anti-capitalist film ever made by Disney Corp. Love the toons.

:p

Mary Poppins Is A Junkie

Alex Cox's - Walker. The more I see of his films the more I want to see. I can't for the life of me understand why some of the critics didn't understand his message?!

4/5

Rise of Planet of the Apes, wasn't bad but it wasn't as good as I thought it was going to be.

The bit where a gorilla jumps off the San Francisco bridge into a helicopter whilst being shot is one of the most unintentionally funny things I have seen for years. I even rewound it back to watch it again :D

why? isn't that an advantage?
i wasn't a fan of the film to be honest.
very poor script and what was the point of frida pinto?

Freedom to fascism, aka, our shuffle towards slavery under the federal reserve and the world banks

Nowt new but worth an hours contemplation

Lightened upmthe evening with "Chopper" bio of Mark ChopperRead, astralian alround nut nut portrayed fantastically by an emerging Eric Bana

Freedom to fascism, aka, our shuffle towards slavery under the federal reserve and the world banks

Nowt new but worth an hours contemplation

Lightened upmthe evening with "Chopper" bio of Mark ChopperRead, astralian alround nut nut portrayed fantastically by an emerging Eric Bana
Both fairy tales

Home Isabelle Huppert is the mother of a rather eccentric family who's happiness is shattered when a motorway opens next to their home. An enjoyable, if not completely successful, parable of the stresses of modern living and the claustrophobia of family life.

Gentlemen Broncos - one of the worst films I've ever seen. Jared Hess must have got lucky with Napoleon Dynamite. His other two films are totally laugh free

More BSG Season 2, only 2 episodes to go, seems to be building to something big.

The 'Dowloaded' episode was fantastic, opens up the whole nature of the show.

They even made a nod towards facism with a monkey breaking a bunch of sticks. God I wanted to shout at the TV then and hit it. I enjoyed it though - won't watch it again. Well maybe just to see a gorilla jump into a helicopter from the San Francisco bridge whilst getting shot at.

Panic Button! Jesus! Probably the worst film ive watched this year! It's worth watching though just so yer can moan at the screen fer the whole hour an summat minutes its on.
20 minutes in an yer wanna turn it off/ or do you wanna see if it gets even worse! YEP! It gets worse! Characters you couldn't give a feck about/ A plot that has more holes in it than an 18 hole golf course!
. Yer find yerself sayin Oh fer fecks sake, you gotta be joking me this is complete shite! Shoulda called it the OFF button instead. Sayin all that i enjoyed moanin about it all way through. Even laughed me head off a few times.
Basically its complete shite/ but you gotta watch it just too see how bad it really is/ if yer get me drift......

Watched "The Elite Squad: The Enemy Within". Excellent film about corruption in Brazil's elite police force. Someone recommended "The Elite Squad" and we mistakenly got the sequel by mistake. Luckily the sequel is brilliant. Definitely one to watch. Got "The Elite Squad" lined up next.

Xhala (sic?) - Senegalese satire made in the early 70s, set after independence. Respected businessman loses his mojo and his life crumbles all around him.

Back
Top Bottom