Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

The Family Way Sue feckin perb! Proper little gem of a film! Outside bogs,wages yer got in cash in a brown envelope,beer that had no head on it, 4 kids or a sick note ta get on the housin list, an great shots of Bolton anawl. Great acting all round but Marjorie Rhodes steals the show fer me. She reminded me so much of me owd grandma. "Kids" Dont no there born nowadays! Eh....

Kung Fu Panda 2 - loved it. I was a huge fan of the first film :D so glad I wasn't disappointed with the sequel.

and Hanna - awesome. really enjoyed this and found it to be tense, edge of the seat action/thriller.

good Sunday night combo

Ink. Weird but interesting film about what goes on in the world behind this one, relating to dreams, nightmares and spirits of people passed. Sounds a bit out there, and tbh is, but no more than say Dark City or the Matrix. Reminds me of Dark City quite a lot actually. Though I didnt really enjoy it that much while watching it, I left with a feeling of having seen a great film, or at least having been told a great story. Interesting one. Worth a watch but you need to watch it all and I'm not sure some people will last the duration. 7.5/10

A Single Man - much better than I'd been led to believe. I was told it was just an extended aftershave ad, and though I see what they meant, it was quite a touching film, with great performances. The music was great too.

Hardy Bucks. RTE mockumentary series on a bunch of ladsh in Mayo (I guess) and their attempts to muddle through life. Cue drunkeness, wannabe gangsters, internet brothels, chasing MILF & all sorts of hilarity :)

The Sorrow and The Pity.
fascinating, esp the close ups on some people's faces as they try to justify their cowardly actions during the German occupation of France.

Crazy. Stupid. Love. Light fluffiness rubbish - a never-ending echo of all the worst Jennifer Aniston, Sandra Bullock and Hugh Grant films combined. Fail.

Nude Nuns with Big Guns.

A bit heavy on the rape.

The Thing 2011 remake

Not as tight, not as gory, not as well acted and just not as good as the original, although the bit in the spaceship was a half decent addition it just hasn't improved on or even matched the original. I wouldn't waste your time here people.

Frost/Nixon
I have no idea about the facts of the thing in real life, but the story the film told was compelling and I think Michael Sheen is always worth a watch.

Daughters of Darkness, the Citizen Kane of lesbian vampire films. This has become a real favourite of mine and I've watched it three times this year. It's mega-stylish, camp, funny, perverse and rather smart. Tony Scott's idiotic The Hunger ripped it off a decade later.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067690/

book of eli.

when i say watched i lobbe dit on at about 11:30 and fell asleep at some point. what i saw as good though so will wath it again when not so tired

I watched Jurassic Park for the first time in over a decade and to me the film just doesn't hold up as well as earlier Spielberg classics like Jaws, Close Encounters or ET. Something that's always annoyed me is how nearly everybody overacts like crazy in this film. There are a couple of iconic sequences which still are magic, but JP strikes me as somewhat lacklustre Spielberg, now that the dino sequences have lost their punch, because we've seen so many CGI dinos since then.

I watched Hell on Wheels episode 3, which is a more thoughtful (ish) version of deadwood set on the railroad building in post civil war america, Then Walking Dead episode whatever- such a bunch of useless cunts who did not deserve to survive an apocalypse let alone manage to continue to live on in a post apocalypse.

Then Started the Sarah Connor Chronicles, which even on the basis of the first two episodes is better than the latest Terminator film where christian bale does that stupid fucking growl a bit.

Although I must take issue with Sarah Connors introductory voiceover on each episode declaring that Skynet was 'Programmed to destroy mankind'. It bloody well wasn't. It was a made machine sentience that decided somewhat cuntishly to destroy mankind. Nobody making it was actively intending the bastard to decide humans were marked to die as a species. It thought that one up itself.

The Woman: Low-budget horror about a hunter who captures a feral woman out in the woods near his home. I liked the first hour in which it tussles with ideas such as 'civilisation' vs nature, and misogyny within the family unit. Unfortunately, the final half hour is clumsy, silly and gratuitous.

'The Woman' is one of my favourite films of the year. I liked the last half hour. It's a horror film after all and the end didn't strike me as gratuitous within context, just logical.

'The Woman' is one of my favourite films of the year. I liked the last half hour. It's a horror film after all and the end didn't strike me as gratuitous within context, just logical.

I didn't find it logical at all. For instance...
what was the blind dog thing in the kennel meant to be?

Finally got round to watching Ferris Bueller's Day Off (25 years late). Enjoyable but thought it was escapism from a weirdly adult perspective: what teenagers skips school to go fine dining and to check out a modern art gallery?

I didn't find it logical at all. For instance...
what was the blind dog thing in the kennel meant to be?

It was their disabled daughter who the father kept in the kennel and raised like a dog. Earlier the father makes a remark to one of the youngest kid about an "idiot sister" and blames his wife for passing on anophthalmia, which is a genetic condition where someone is born without eyes. When the dog woman is revealed, you realise that they have done this before and how systematic the abuse of woman in that family has been all along.

It's a film that doesn't spoon feed you information and you have to pay a attention. A lesser film would have resorted to some dialogue where characters explain to each other what they already know for the benefit of the audience. This film does it via disturbing implications that are rigged all through the film.

Back
Top Bottom