Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

Apolalypto - wasnt expecting something this good from Mel Gibson, but it was brilliant, a proper epic and portrayed the lifestyle of the people of the time excellently. 9/10

It is a bloke running through a jungle for fucking ages. And then the spanish arrive.

Vanishing Point - nihilistic car chase movie. it's essentially just a bloke driving very stylishly through death valley, beating on homosexuals yet coolly snubbing naked women on motorbikes. great soundtrack.
it's no cannonball run.

Finally got around to the recording of 4 Lions, even the umpteen adbreaks didn't ruin it. Added to wishlist.

Tucker and Dale vs Evil! Feckin loved it! I laughed that much i ended up with a smokers cough. Comedy of the year fer me!

Drive - low-budget masterpiece, shot beautifully in every way. I love the romance the two shared - non sexual, the yearning - thought it was caught well. Great film.

I know there were some mini-series', what's the correct order for watching everything associated with the new Galactica?

You have to watch the miniseries, which is essentially the first four episodes bundled together as a single pilot. Without it, you've no set up - without it, it's like watching The Matrix from the moment Neo wakes up. The miniseries identifies a number of the cylon characters, the destruction of the colonies, and much more.

Watch it in broadcast order, plonking "Razor" in the middle of Season 2, and "The Plan" needs to be watched roughly halfway though season 3. the BAttlestar wiki's will tell you.

Blood And Chrome is set during the first cylon war some 20-25 years before the miniseries. There's some webisodes on the razor DVD best watched in flashback too set about the same time.

Caprica started off as a pitch as a show about the development of AI, and syfy bolted that onto the battlestar universe to make it more watched. it failed. completely. Caprica is like describing Crossroads as a prequel to Star Trek.

Drive is incredible. i love the framing of the scenes and pacing. its a film where we've seen the plot a hundred times, but the executions elevates it above and beyond what you imagine possible. Reminded me a lot of Thief / Man Hunter / LA Takedown by Michael Mann. Almost my film of the year.

Me and a mate just laughed our wasted arses of to Mr Nobody :D

Slick, surreal and massively bonkers. It's great!

"Resident Evil: Afterlife" - alright, very reminiscent of the games which is good except the games you don't mind a certain lack of, charicterisation etc.. because you have the gameplay whereas in a film is not so good!

Drive...watchable but not the masterpiece others have proclaimed imo

My Name is Joe, which for some reason I've never seen before and was a lot better.

Bobby Fischer Against The World - excellent documentary, well worth a viewing even if you couldnt give a flying fuck about chess.

Youth In Revolt - an entertaining niety minutes, pretty funny, great performances, blah blah

Rise of the Planet of the Apes - does what it says on the tin. Perfect post midnight viewing

Also watched "The Merchant of Venice" with Al Pacino yesterday - some very good bits. Al Pacino was excellent and Jeremy Irons very godd too, they made the Shakespearean language very understandably and, unlike some of the other cast, not like they were 'speaking Shakespeare'. Portia wasn't bad either, especially in the courst scene. Joseph Ffienes whispered too much!​

This afternoon was "Jurassic Park III" - enjoyable solid Sunday afternoon on the sofa watching​

Last 4 episodes of Dexter Season 4.......a simple smiley could be a spoiler so those who've seen it know which one I want to use. Top show, getting S5 now.

Watched the Battlestar Galactica mini-series, yeah, the first four episodes of Season 1 make much more sense now :facepalm:

Although in a way, watching '33' first was quite cool, thrown right into a breathless, nerve-shredding chase scene and having to figure it out as it raced along :D

Good stuff all round, the Sky+ is filled up with episodes until Season 3, so plenty to be getting on with.

Tucker and Dale vs Evil! Feckin loved it! I laughed that much i ended up with a smokers cough. Comedy of the year fer me!

You're must have a very good sense of humour.
I thought it was okay - I liked how he approached the girls at the garage/ service station.

I saw about 15 mins of Fast and Furious 5 and it was awful.

drive - ryan gosling looks dim while driving about michael mann's la. dreamy synth pop soundtrack. shit all else.

Battle:Los Angeles

big budget scifi

enjoyed it, it was stupid, cliched, but I enjoyed it - it had big explosions and aliens:cool:

Back
Top Bottom